Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicalgrower89

Honey Mangoes (aka Ataulfo).

tropicalgrower89
13 years ago

Hi. I bought a healthy looking small yellow mango labeled as Honey Mangoes. I found out that they were ataulfo mangoes in google. They are also known as champagne mangoes. Are Atualfo mangoes poly embryonic and grow true from seed? In that case, I'll keep the seed. :)

Thanks,

Alexi

Comments (30)

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot to ask. If it grows more than one seedling, which one would be the clone of the parent? The smaller ones or the largest most vigorous one?

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Here are some I got last Friday they are sweet as honey. They get better in April and May but they were a little bit more expensive than the last few weeks - $7 for 14 mangos.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

They are polyembryotic, but for me, usually only one of the seedlings survive whether I separate them or leave them together as the sprout.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Bought some a couple weeks ago at Costco and they sucked. Depends on when they are picked because I have had good store-bought Ataulfo's before.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I bought some Sunday at Costco and they were pretty good. They wouldn't win a taste test in mid season, but for having no other mangoes at the moment, they were worth the 97 cents each I think I paid for them. These were Mexican and sold under the name of Champagne Mango.....the package indicates they are from the Ciruli Brothers...whoever the heck they are.

Harry

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Best mango I have had recently in the off season, was called "Purity" Organic mangoes. I bought them for .99 each at Trader Joes. It was a special shipment, not the usual mangoes they carry. Was a great mango with a very nice texture. The mangoes came from Peru. I must of bought about 15-20 of them before they disappeared.

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I just ate it and it was a sweet/tart mango. Not that good and it has more or less the same amount of fiber as my haden. Personally, I like my home grown haden much more. Much sweeter. I guess that ataulfo was picked too green.

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Ataulfos have been on and off up here. Must get a shipment every other week this time of year. They run about $1 a piece. Ones I had were really good.

Mango season (Mexican peak) is almost here! WalMart will start carrying Atualfos when the main season gets here.

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok. So those would be the good ones? Maybe the one I had was from South America.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

I am SO jealous you can buy a box with 14 mangoes for $14...man...that'a an awesome price. The cheapest I've ever seen them here is for $1 a piece at the local fruit stand.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

I took Zands advice and germinated an Ataulfo seed and look at it now! LOL This is an Ataufo seedling I'm going to graft with MangoDog on our tour to a mango grove in Anheim Hills. We are lucky here in Los Angeles the Mexican border is only 120 miles so we get all sorts of cheap goodies from Mexico.

JF

P.S. I have not cut the grass in over a week it's been raining like crazy (10 in. and counting).....great for the grass not so great for my mangos.

JF

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Here is a better pic what do you guys think of this little gremlin?LOL

• zands
    13 years ago

You have a major mango mastiff guarding your up and comers. Sadly, I can't take credit for your potted Ataulfo seedling. I have not been here long enough

Chinese proverb ---- A thousand miles journey starts with the very first step. ...

• tropicalgrower89
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The gremlin. LOL

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Love your Dog...what a good looking dog you have there!
    Is that the dog's name...gremlin?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

JF - NOW who's showing off their prowess - 14 ataulfos for 7 bucks - that's SICK!!!!!

ANd I do like your baby Ataulfo plant - so it IS polyembrionic???? cool.......

That black-fanged little gremlin of yours looks unpredictable - will i get some teeth marks on my hand if I say "hi!"? I think my attack dog, Gracie, might like your little security guard...what do you think? Might make good Oreo cookies together....lol

mangoGrrrrrrrrrr

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoDog,puglvr1,tropicalgrower89 and Zands

I can't claim Lilly as mine; it's my brother's dog. I'm dog sitting for three weeks and she's already won our hearts. We had our faithful dog die last month and my wife said she was done with dogs, it was too painful. After caring for Lilly for two weeks I think she's ready for another one I just have to find one like Lilly. I was only kidding about the seedling I bought it in Christmas in San Diego and it's in her second flush can wait to graft it next month. Gary, anyone could buy those Ataulfo for that price all you have to do is take a trip Los Angeles wholesale produce market and I'll tell you, they are worth every penny. We just ate our last one, 28 mangos and almost two weeks ago, and it was as good as the first LOL

• rodneys
    12 years ago

Ataulfo mangoes here are on special for 2/$1. A little smaller than normal, but good. Try ethnic markets in your area.
    Here's one of my seedlings, around 1 1/2 years old.
    {{gwi:1309837}}
    I've also sprouted more in 1 gallon containers

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

I had that mango a couple days ago, it is very good sweet with less to none fiber. The trick is to peel this mango pretty deep to the meat until you see the light yellow, if you see kind of dark yellow that mean you would eat the peel part and it would taste kind of tart,

I wonder if I start this mango from seed and then grafted with my nam doc Mai, I would get the same mango or something different? I fortunate to get to try a lot of mango sale on the market, normally I didn't think about planting one of my own, but since I move into a new house with a backyard space then make me start collect tropical fruit tree. I can start from seed with all kind of mangos until it big enough then grafted to the one of the mango I bought.

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Mangodog that picture of your dog and the background in the photo are gorgeous!! Wow.

• sophwrite
    6 years ago

I want to grow a mango tree but my neighbor has a maggot problem with her mango tree so if I grow one also how do I prevent this from happening?

• Ethan Hunt
    6 years ago

start a new thread sophwrite!!!!!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    6 years ago

Cover the fruits with cloth? Maybe frost cloth cut to fit? No fly could deposit eggs though that I would think.

• Diyfreddy
    5 years ago

Jfernandez did your Ataúlfo seedling fruit well? I recently planted a few Ataúlfos but how do I know which of the 2-3 seedlings that come up is the one to keep.

5 years ago

Pick the best. Its what I did in 2014 or 2015 with Champagne that also must have been from that grower as they were the sweetest..well,like the others said.

Here's the ONE seed out of three I planted to make it..its been very hardy to cold,and its also very low branching on its own.

A couple of weeks ago..

• C Wes
    5 years ago

How tall are the trees now? I planted a mango seed in container three years ago and it's now about 7 feet, I believe mine is either Kent or Keitt. I do have I believe an Ataulfo also in container that is about 2-3 years old and is very slow growing, only about 1 1/2 ft now.

• Diyfreddy
    5 years ago

My Ataúlfos are about two months old and six inches tall

5 years ago

Mine has a story...fast growing seedling for the first year- hardy to cold....then slowed in ground. Ok,I stuck with it...then it went a year with no growth. Another third year it started to grow..but very tightly spaced nodes. Early this winter I thought I might move it..then thought, the heck with it..that's another two years of waiting to seeing if its happy right?

So what happens? This year- its 4th- its been growing like gangbusters..two small flushes and then one big one already this year on 75f summers in the bay area.

I think Mangoes in California take time to adjust to clay soils. Some people in the state have more loamy clay and dont have as much a problem. Right now its about 4'. Very small for the age..but it looks normal,not stunted and leaves are full sized.

One last...full sun. The more the better.

5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Its done well in a cool summer. New growth much larger then old.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?