Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mango Problems

Posted by monito none (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 14 at 15:07

Hello,

I hope that someone here may be able to help me :)

I recently acquired a property that has 3 mango trees. The previous owner said that they have never given any fruit. That seems a bit strange to me to I'm trying to figure out why it may be.

All of the leaves have something on them that shouldn't be there and I'd guess that has probably got something to do with the lack of fruit.

Attached is a photo of one of the leaves. Has anyone got any idea what these white spots are and if they could be the cause of the lack of fruit. If so, how can I 'fix' my trees. If not, any ideas why we're not getting any fruit?

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mango Problems

It looks like scale and possibly powdery mildew??

You can bring a couple of leaves to a local fruit nursery prefably one that sells Mango trees, they should be able to tell you exactly what it is...

Since its not bearing any fruit...I would apply a Citrus Fertilizer on the tree and water it in...sounds like it could use a good fertilizer...but you will need to treat the bugs or whatever (might be fungus along with scale) first...how old are the trees (appx)? How big? What zone do you live in...its not on your profile?

o

If you're in Columbia South America there's a large variety of climates. Mangos don't like a rainforest/cloudforest climate, they become subject to a lot of fungus problems. Their best climate is one with distinct wet and dry season, summer wet and winter dry. A lot of Columbia would be perfect for mangos but if you're in rainforest or at a high altitude mangos won't do any good.

o

Hello, thank you for your response.

I'm in Medellin, Colombia, SA. I believe my zone to be 9A.

The trees are about 4-6 meters high - I have no idea the age that equates to.

o

Yes, it looks like you have scale insect on the leaves and maybe a fungus, also the leaf is not very green so likely lacking nutrients so i would do as pugs said and fertilize

o

Looked up the Medellin, your lowest monthly average rainfall is 50mm in January, pretty much making that a rainforest climate. The annual average maximum temps are low and the average minimums comparatively high, not much variation between day and night, nor throughout the year. That in itself isn't a problem for mango growth, but it's absolutely ideal for fungus to which mangos are highly susceptible. Flowers are also very susceptible to fungus and mostly die before they can set fruit. Your best chance with these is to regularly apply a fungicide, especially during flowering. Also keep up a good fertiliser regime, the healthier the plants the more easily they will ward off disease.

I also looked up the zone for Medellin, it's 11b, which is more like what the climate figures suggest (www.plantsdb.gr/en/general-cultivation/hardiness-zones/275-hardiness-zones-central-south-america).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here