Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mini Mango Tree

Posted by greeneye (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 23, 07 at 15:18

Hi all...

I'm a new member, but a lurker for a while, but I finally have a question I couldn't find an answer to anywhere, so i had to sign up :)

I planted 3 mango seeds. I live in winnipeg, canada and I'm not really expecting much from them, as we have -30 to -40C winters. (obviously these are indoor plants). I basically just planted them for fun and to see what would happen. I'm guessing they're all different breeds, but they're all growing VERY differently. One I planted about a month before the others looks a lot like all the mango trees I see in pictures... about 8 inches tall now, lots of long, pointy leaves that are each about 5" long. The second and third I planted at the same time... one is now about 6 inches tall with leaves that are about 8 inches long (they drag in the dirt when they first come out), and the second is about 2 inches tall with leaves about the same (2 inches).

Is there typically this much variation in the plants between species? The tiny one was probably the best mango I ever ate (no fibres, with almost a pineappley-mango taste)...thus my desire to plant it... but it seems so odd that it's that much smaller than other ones that were planted at the same time. They are all planted in the same dirt, get the same light and same water/fertilizer. They're all really healthy, and all between 8-10 months old.

Has anyone here had a mango plant that small?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mini Mango Tree

Welcome to GardenWeb and Tropical Fruits!

I'm not sure about the mango question. It probably is just the difference in mango. Also, they grow in flushes, maybe the others just have flushed more.

-Tropicaliste

o
RE: Mini Mango Tree

I've planted the seeds from grocery store mangoes for fun too and yes, they all turn out to very different. some grew to 3 feet in no time at all while others never made it above a foot before I let it die over winter. Some varieties even sprout two separate trunks from the same seed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here