Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socalmango

Fairchild celebrating the mangos of Hawaii

socalmango
13 years ago

So this year Fairchild is celebrating the mangos of Hawaii. Last year's Indian theme provided me an opportunity to acquire two cultivators not readily seen here. Any idea of what Hawaiian mango specific trees might be available for purchase?

Comments (12)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

ST Maui is from Hawaii. I have one, hadnt had the fruit yet. got it from Pine Islan

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Rapoza is supposed to be good. I bought a tiny one recently.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

socalmango

I didn't know Fairchild shipped their mangos to California?

JF

• socalmango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Joe,

I've actually been traveling every July to the mango festival for the last 5 years in a row, and I've had an opportunity to bring back some scion with me. So far all my grafts have taken.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Interesting theme for the festival........traveled to Hawaii last year and sampled some of their varieties (Mapulehu, Momi K, Pope, Kurashagi, and Sugai) .

Want to try Rapoza and Hawaiian Dwarf.

On the Big Island Haden still seemed to be the most popular cultivar.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

I thought I read that this years festival theme was Mangos of Hispaniola. I wonder why they decided to change it to Hawaii?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

squam,
    Excalibur has a fruiting Hawaiian Dwarf and Chapman Field has a fruiting Rapoza. If you would like I can probably get you a Hawaiian Dwarf fruit this summer to try.

swrancher,
    I also remember that it was going to be mangos of Hispaniola. I guess they smartened up and realized people wanted to try good mangos.

• socalmango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Something is missing. Where are the specific Hawaiian cultivators? I'd be disappointed if no trees would be made available for public purchase during the event

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/Fairchilds17thAnnualInternationalMangoFestival/internationalmangofestival/

• sleep
    13 years ago

Yeah, I also find it unusual that there are no Hawaiian cultivars listed on the curator's choice.

Maybe they will add some later ?

• sashahawaii
    13 years ago

If you want to know more about Hawaiian mangoes, check out Makaha Mangoes. These guys have been raising mangoes for decades and are experts on all things mango. One of the hotels in Waikiki has held a mango festival the past two years. They have displays of all the different types of mangoes grown in Hawaii and the owner of Makaha Mangoes give talks on how to grow the best ones. There is also a "Best Mango" competition, entries are judged on size, color, pit and of course taste. About 75% of these entries were Haydens. The best mango I've ever had was an "Ice Cream" variety.

Here is a link that might be useful: Makaha Mangoes

• abayomi
    12 years ago

I attended yesterday for the first time and the festival was good. Met up per chance with murahalin (again, post harry's last month). With keen folks in the lectures, I wondered how many were from this forum unbeknown to me.

I bought enough mangoes to be considered crazy, and this was AFTER visiting harry's and buying from him. In FL for the next few days so am going on a mango diet.

Taste testing was underwhelming. None of the varieties wowed me. Tasted better ones - extrema, cushion, mama chinook, Lancetilla, okrung etc. - at harry's.

Not being able to import trees from Florida was a mixed blessing as I would have sent even more. All told, a good day but no need for a second day for me. The auction was late and I was curious to see what a frenzy would do to ppl's mind in bidding.

Frankie's (hawaii) lecture was good. Rapoza sounds like the mango for Bermuda - wet weather every month and it persists in flowering several times until fruit sets. Other lectures on pruning, grafting were also good. Fairchild could do better with keeping tables with brochures and displays seperate from lecture tents as the conversations overwhelmed the volume of the speaker too often.

Did anyone witness the auction?

Mangos on display were amazing.

• sleep
    12 years ago

I thought the mango tasting/ranking was pretty good. Far better than previous years... But that may have been dependent on what time of day you went through, and what they had cut. My favorites were

1/2.... Alanpur Baneshan and Mallika tied
    3. Another Indian mango .. Forgot the name, but not Alphonso

Anyway, I agree, one day at the event was more than enough..

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!