Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Apple Seedlings

Posted by andrew78 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 6, 11 at 15:45

I was wondering if anyone had any sugar apple seedlings that they were willing to part with. I have been wanting to try the fruits for a long time and getting a seedling seems like the most likely way I will ever get to try the fruits.

I have on seedling that started last summer. About 12 seedlings germinated and over the winter, I lost them all except for this one. For some reason I can germinate cherimoya. I actually had so many seedlings I threw most away.

I do have seedlings and seeds I can trade. I also have seed grown passion fruit vines that came from Hawaii. I know the name of the variety but I cannot think of it off hand. I do know that it starts with a P. LOL! I can find out if anyone is interested.

Andrew

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Apple Seedlings

Andrew, I have 3 and I can send you one. I started mine not too long after you started yours. They had been grown for 2 winters and a summer. They are about two feet tall and just got pugged to about 10" to encourage branching. The seeds were from Trade Wind. I also have another set of SA seedlings I started few months ago. These are from the fruit I had in Houston. The fruit was the chewy type that I like. Hope it will grow true from seeds.
Bo (yaslan) sent me some cherimoya seeds last spring and these seedlings are sure growing very fast. I grafted atemoya scion onto them this early February but they were all failed. Too bad, otherwise, you can have one of it too. I can post pic if you want to have a look at it. I am interest in your Maha Chinook budwoods whenever your tree needs to prun.
Mark.

o

Andrew - I hope you're able to locate a few sugar apple seedlings. I do have some seeds but they float in water. Does this mean they're no longer viable?

jlgarden - good to hear the cherimooya seeds did well for you! Did you use all of the seedlings as graft? Please post a pic. I'd love to see what became of the seeds I sent ya. ( :

Thanks!

-Bo

o

Hi Bo, I got about 8 seedlings growing. Gave 2 away and grafted all but one. I brought the scions home from LA during my Christmas trip. They were not grafted until Feb. I think that was the reason why the grafts fail. I will find some budwoods and try it again. If you want one of this SA seedling, I will have one sent your way. I will post some pics tomorrow.
Mark.

o

Bo, These are some Cherimoya plans and the failed grafts are still on them.
Photobucket

and these are my three SA seedlings. New leaves are about to grow.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

They look terrific and are super healthy and has a nice trunk! Does your cherimoya seedlings look similar to these?

-Bo

p.s Sorry, Andrew, for hijacking your thread ( ;

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here