Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guajiro_gw

Soursop / Guanabana Seeds

guajiro
13 years ago

Hi everyone, I've been searching for a source of soursop seeds that carries the "Whitman fiberless" variety. If anyone has a contact it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Emilio

Comments (26)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Why the seeds? Why not a grafted tree?

• guajiro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Murahilin, I've heard that soursop (guanabana) whether it's grafted or seedling it still takes about two years to bear fruit.
    Do you know happen to know someone that sells a grafted Whitman fiberless?

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Is that the one that's affectionately referred to as "whitman fruitless" .. :-) ?

Jeff

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Ohh yah - I believe there is still a large whitman fibreless/fruitless at the broward RFVC property. From what I was told, it has lived up to its nickname and hasn't born any fruit .. ;-).

Jeff

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

Maybe one that is fruitless would be the BEST variety of soursop to grow!!!!!

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

Jay- you are so cruel to this poor, under appreciated fruit!

• sleep
    13 years ago

I have a mature (20+ ft) Guanabana that has not fruited for 6 years. It was full of fruit the first year I moved into my home (2004). Then came Hurricane Wilma, which took off about half of the tree. The tree has grown well over the past 5 years, I have seen it flower, but no fruit ....

I have no Idea what to do to get it to fruit. Any suggestions ??

• guajiro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sleep, that's one impressive soursop despite the setbacks. Have you tried to discard fruit scraps (papaya works really well) by the trunk of the tree to stimulate the natural pollinators? My tree's about 8' tall and it experienced a great deal of die back after the infamous January 2010 freeze. Since then it has made a notable recovery and I am hoping for some flowers this spring.

I belive hmhausman has a fiberless variety and I wonder if he's been fortunate to try its fruit. Harry, would you happen to have a recent picture of your guanabana? It's a beauty.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I have a supposedly seedless variety and a supposedly fiberless variety. I also have a seedling that I planted out just because I liked the bluish-green leaf color. So far, no fruit on any of them that reached maturity. The seedless variety bore two fruits about 10 or more years ago but they dropped prior to maturity. They were, in fact, seedless, but what good is that if they don't mature properly when they do fruit and don't fruit the rest of the time. I'll do a yard update when I return home next week and I'll be sure to in include updated pictures of the allegedly fiberless tree.

So, bottom line, I am in no position to counsel anyone on how to get fruit from a guanabana.

Harry

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

Lots of fertilizer has worked for my friend.
    When I give mine fertilizer, it does perk up a bit and give a fruit or two.
    My seedling tree has 3 fruits on it, 1st year at maturity. No special care. It gets more sun though....maybe that helps?

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

maybe our cold winters keeping them dormant too long so they dont flower, fruit cycle correctly?

my guanabana and rollinia are still very much toasted looking

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

My seedless tree flowers profusely, consistantly and through out the warm months of the year.....but only once set a couple of fruit on one occasion. My others have never flowered. I did try to hand pollinate the seedless tree's flowers and I thought I had some fruit starting to form when this year's cold waves begun. The seedless tree has major die back now from the cold. The other two seem much less affected. Let's see what this year's growing season does to the fruit production issue.

Harry

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

This is normal for Soursop. It is kind of funny actually because I was talking to my mom the other week, who grew up around Soursop trees and her only advice on the tree was "Rabanos(Soursop) is kuriput with it's fruits", meaning it's a stingy producer.
    Maybe a cultivar that's heavy in fruit production exists...

:)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

there are several varieties, i posted about them if you search, Its very hard to find grafted varieties here though. Im looking for a cultivar called "Bennett"

this is either a very large soursop,
    or a midget holding an average size one.

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Attack of the oversized Soursop!!
    I'd like seeds of that!

:)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

I have seen some big soursop but nothing like that fruit!! Makes my mouth water!

Jay, I wish you could get your hands on a good fruit. My first and only experience was in Puerto Rico. Easily one the best tropical fruits I have ever had! The fruit tasted nothing like you describe. IT was sweet, and tangy, and definetly not vile! Sweaty socks, and vomit??? Those fruits must have been rotten!!!

Andrew

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Soursop are delicious. I have eaten quite a few in Merida Mexico and they are as good as a sugar apple or a cherimoya too bad they are too sensitive for our climate but they still sell them in Mimosa. If I ever build a green house I'm going to try growing them.

JF

• camquat
    12 years ago

Soursop seeds wanted . Can pay or trade . I have bhut Jolokia (ghost chili seeds)

• STRAUSS
    11 years ago

URGENT PLEASE,
    I LIVE I LOS ANGELES I CAN NOT FIND SOURSOP TREES, I NEED THE DRY LEVES, I HAD CANCER AND I WAS TOLD THAT THE LEAFS OF THE MIRACLE TREE CAN HELP ME HEAL, IF YOU ARE IN FLORIDA OR ANY OTHER STATES PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WILL SEND YOU MONEY MY CANCER WAS STAGE 4, I DESPERATLY NEED IT THE LEAFS, I have two children that I wan to see them grow. GOD BLESS YOU. STRAUSS.Thank You.God Bless You All.

• karibelize
    11 years ago

i have sour sop seeds, :) but i dont know what variety, they are in season right now!

• Kavib
    11 years ago

Hi,

I am looking for soursop seedlings in New Zealand. Can someone pls. where can i get some plants or seeds for this lovely fruit.

• PharoahMan
    10 years ago

Re: Fruit setting
    I have no experience with guanabana but if it is similar to chrimoya/sugar apple; when a flower is ready to e pollinated the pollen in this flower is not mature. I used to gather fresh pollen from the flowers that are widely open (they seem to be too old) then locate the flowers that are ready to be pollinated (recently or slightly opened). Using a cotton bud, dab it into the gathered pollen and dab the flower. I did this near sunset. This process increased fruit setting considerably.
    All cherimoya/sugar apple face downward making it most unlikely to receive pollen carried by the wind. Further, I noticed that bees and other insects did not visit the flowers despite their fragrance. I hope this will help, though it is time consuming.

• Soursop
    10 years ago

I have seeds and trees from 25 cm to 2 m. Sprouting rate of my seeds is 95% but after mailing them in envelope through many customs controls and x-rays it will drop to 50%. The good thing in this is that only the strongest ones will sprout.

You can place your order to my webshop and I will ship them to you by $6,50. You can also support my project by leasing a tree from my farm and get either money or leafs from your tree.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soursopfarmthailand.org

• lucha2014
    9 years ago

I hace some seeds from my soursop tree. it has given me nice sweet fruit, but I don't know what kind is it. I brought the seeds from Colombia, the original fruit was huge!!!! Beautyfull. The trees are about 13 years old, one gives fruit but the other does not. The trees that does to give fruit is nice and green, and blooms. It's flowers but does to produce any fruit. I tried every fertilizer. While the trees that gives delicious fruit, it started to dried up at one side. HELPPPP,!!!!!! Please any recommendations???? Thank you.

• PharoahMan
    9 years ago

Lucha2014
    I had posted the following in 2013 and hope it will help you:
    Re: Fruit setting
    I have no experience with guanabana but if it is similar to chrimoya/sugar apple; when a flower is ready to e pollinated the pollen in this flower is not mature. I used to gather fresh pollen from the flowers that are widely open (they seem to be too old) then locate the flowers that are ready to be pollinated (recently or slightly opened). Using a cotton bud, dab it into the gathered pollen and dab the flower. I did this near sunset. This process increased fruit setting considerably.
    All cherimoya/sugar apple face downward making it most unlikely to receive pollen carried by the wind. Further, I noticed that bees and other insects did not visit the flowers despite their fragrance. I hope this will help, though it is time consuming.

• jaycobsgrandma51
    8 years ago

Hi,Strauss I read your comment and if still interested I can send you guanabana seeds,there from Puerto Rico .

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area