Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sleep_gw

Arka Neelkiran from Frankies order

sleep
13 years ago

I just picked up my Arka Neelkiran mango from the Frankies Nursery order that Sheehan organized. The tree was bare rooted, and looked quite good. I have never planted a bare root tree before, so I hope it takes !

I also side veneer grafted two pieces of scion wood that was with my order. I grafted those onto one of my 1 year old trees. Crossing my fingers !

Thanks Sheehan!

Pics:

Arka Neelkiran mango

Sindhu budwood

Comments (24)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Looks like your tree arrived in fantastic condition and I didn't even know you could order scions... and so what's on your list for the next order :P lol I will have to check out frankie's some more.

:)

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Tropicaliste,
    I'm sure if you asked the people here who have ordered from Frankies, they would tell you that they have great stuff!! I ordered from them last year and i got the infamous Maha chinook mango from them. I also went in on this group order and got the Mayong Chid Maprang, and also a black pepper vine. Sheehan's holding them for me until it is safe to have them shipped.
    Andrew

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Sleep:

I hadn't heard of the Arka Neelkiran. It is supposed to be a cross between Alphonso (which I have yet to try) and Neelum (which is an excellent late season mango). Remember me when you have any budwood from your tree available. This looks like a potential "must have." Sorry I didn't pay enough attention to the Frankie's order when it was being compiled. When is the next order, Sheehan??

Harry

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Well it sounds like the group order was a definite success and I'd be interested if there's a next one. :)

Andrew:
    I grew a black pepper vine for quite a while and even got to where it put out a few spikes but then it just went downhill... here's why I think this happened; they grow really fast in the humid months, and can quickly get curled around it's stakes so I suggest it be grown next to a larger plant it can vine on and possibly even prepare a bigger pot for it sooner rather than later...their glossy leaves are fantastic to look at.

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry,

When/if the Neelkiran grows well, I will definately give you some budwood.

I will have some Alfonso's this year, and I would be glad to give you a couple. Last year it made a few. I may not have harvested them at the correct time, and I was really not impressed. This year I will attempt to harvest them correctly, and I hope hey live up to their reputation

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

sleep

I tried Alfonso for the first time last year@ Mimosa Nursery in East Los Angeles and I was not disappointed. It had a very strong mango taste ( reminded me of the Haitian Mangos I grew up eating in Miami) but very sweet, fiberless and quite juicy. The fruit was small to medium (9-12 oz)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Hmmm.. if the Alphonso mango is as good as those Haitian mangos in Miami it must be great. lol

sleep,
    Keep us updated on how it does directly in the ground from being bare rooted. Might save many people lots of time instead of going through the trouble of potting it up first. Any pics of it in ground?

Harry,
    Not sure when I will order again. Depends on when they get new stuff that seems interesting. Maybe more eggplant trees.

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Planted Arka Neelkiran

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And , careful with those grafting knives... Mine fell off of a fencepost while I was wrapping my graft/host with grafting tape..

Fell straight down into my Thigh. 7 sutures to close it, and it went into the muscle..

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Ouch! I heard of taking a stab at grafting...but this is ridiculous! I hope you have a rapid recovery.

Harry

• yaslan
    13 years ago

Sleep, your Arka Neelkiran mango from the Frankie's looks very nice and healthy. I got a Marang and it too looks very nice! Frankie's did a an excellent job with packaging.

I love your in-ground setup! This definitely must keep the critters away? It definitely gives me some ideas on how I should protect my fruit trees. Thanks!

That's a nasty cut. I hope ya have a quick recovery.

-Bo

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

LOL :) Stab at Grafting !

Or "Revenge of the Sindhu Scion"

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Going to remember your experience as my grafting plans are coming up, that's a seriously nasty stab/cut and I hope you get well soon.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

I know for fact that blood does not help a graft take. Your tree looks great cant tell at all it was BR.

-Ethan

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

The important question is did you finish the graft before going to the hospital?

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Good God, Sleep - I hope you have better luck with your new grafted leg AND your branchlet in the future.....

.....wonder what kind of mangos your thigh will produce?

(lol - sorry....as you can see that kind of once-in-a-decade accident has way to much comedic fodder to pass up....)

seriously, keep the infections out of it as your new orchard will need you....!!!!!!!!!

mangochihuahua

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Ouch...glad you're okay! Talk about freak accident...

On the upside...the new Mango tree looks great in its new home.

• murahilin
    13 years ago

sleep,
    How is your tree holding up in ground?
    That sucks what happened to your leg. First leg grafting injury I've ever seen. What brand of grafting knife did you use? it seems pretty solid to have gotten in there so deep.

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The knife hit my leg while I was working on my 1st graft. I finished grafting ( side veneer) both Sindhu scions, then went to the ER. After the ER visit, I planted the Neelkiran. .. My wife thinks I'm crazy, but these are mango's we are taking about !
    Here is a pic of the knife, it is part of the Leatherman Multi tool so it does carry some weight .

Here is the Arka Neelkiran this AM

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

You're hardcore sir!!
    I would have passed out..

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

I was wondering how a grafting knife managed to go in that deep. Makes sense now. That's a pretty cool tool though. Where did you buy it?

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Your tree is still looking really good. I am surprised that there has been no leaf drop. I guess it handled the bare rooting and subsequent planting in ground pretty well.

I actually just got that same Leatherman model a few weeks ago. I didn't get it for the grafting knife but instead for the pruners that are foldable and can be kept on my belt. Much more convenient than regular pruners and plus Leatherman makes it so you know its good quality. The model has been discontinued so it's harder to find now but I included a link to where I bought it. It's on clearance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is where I bought mine from.

• sleep
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's been about a month since I planted the Neelkiran. All the leaves stayed on for about two weeks, then Leaf Drop!
    All but 6 leaves dropped off, and I thought it was going to die. But, those 6 leaves stayed on, and now, New Growth!

This is the first bare rooted tree I have planted, and it now looks to me like it will make it.

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Looks like it should be fine. Mangoes seem much tougher than most tropical fruits.