Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodog_gw

Mangodog's Mangy Mango Tour 031611

mangodog
13 years ago

Well....there not all looking so roughed up but old man winter is not a very nice guy to the youngsters....enjoy amigos y amigas.....

GaryDog

Glenn - a veritible fountain of flowers for such a young lad!

Eddie - frost nipped but a fighter - pushing the inflos hard....

Chocy (Anon) - if you look closely this cold pugged warrior

is budding little swords!

....perhaps you might catch a fuzzy bad-photo glimpse here....

Alphie (alphonso) has some movement under the canopy - hard to see...

Timmy (Timotayo) is playing it shy...the cold sent him back under the blankets...

Ah Rosie...sweet young Rosie...just melting my heart....

Rudy (rootstock growth) - waiting for a Maha graft marriage perhaps? (you see another graft that didn't work on top of course - well, it's spring training!)

Doc (NamDocMai) - he's on vacation....hopes to be back soon...

Lance - pushing 5 sproutlets at the downlow, above the graft - he's going to go places!

Kit (Keitt) - boy he loves his palm brother buddies - flowering like a fool in love!

The Three Stooges (NDM,Haden,V-Pride) - probably getting used to their new digs - the humor just isnt' there just yet!

And good old Manny, my first love - "Now Mr. DeMille - which side of me do you think shows best"

Comments (30)

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

very nice trees, DAWG!!!
    love the caption :)

Tim

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Yes, some very NICE Mango trees you have there...Wow! That Manila is doing fabulously! Look at how fast and big its growing! Enjoyed the captions as well...thanks for posting!

• socalmango
    13 years ago

Aw...Aw...Aw....Awooooooooooooooooooo.
    Love that "Manny" dog. Hows the fruit? That tree really does grow very nice in low humidity areas. Got one myself here in SoCal and it?s the best growing of the bunch. I?ve only had mine for two years and has not flowered but soon dog very soon. How big was it when you got it?

Also very interested in Moe,Larry and Curly. Where did you find it or did you graft the knuckleheads yourself?

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks San Diego Tim and Pugslie - yeah Manny is a mangomonster ain't he? At least for out here. Even though he grows up them hangs down, I will curious to see how high the ranginess will take him...

Hey - anyone ever seen a mango tree in India? Boy they are like 80 feet high by 100 feet wide!!!!

And you, Mr. SoCalMango Overlord - you've got about 6 more years before it gets to be Manny's age. And you are right - on the 3rd year I got my first fruit...yep, that's right, not fruits but FRUIT! (lol)_ It was a home depot seedling just a 3 foot twig with no branches when I got it.

The knuckleheads I got from Mimosa Nursery (dear downtown LA) just a few months ago, and they grafted them. I know the Haden is not in vogue right now as a premium manga, but I thought at least I'd get the NDM and Valencia Pride in one tree and that would save me some room....the VP also grows fast and big so I'll have to do some barbering until I can't reach them anymore, after that... the stooges will have the sky stage all to themselves!

MangoMangledDog

• socalmango
    13 years ago

Nice...Maybe I'll get me up to Mimosa and get me one of them Stooges. Problem is Miss Foxy has me on a short leash and will probably put me out on the dawg house if I come home with another treat... I am licking my chops at the prospect of getting one though.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Nice collection, Gary. Winter wasn't too unkind to your trees all things condsidered. You are behind us by quite a few weeks or even months in some cases. When is the normal maturity time for say, your Manila? Thanks for posting.

Harry

• pikorazi
    13 years ago

Nice collection and cool pics! Thanks for sharing :-)

It's surprising to me, how some of your mangos can grow so close to the washingtonia palms...

Felipe

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

heartbreaking how that last freeze affect your mangos......I predict you will make a full recovery in a couple of month but don't forget the shade cloth for those little ones.

What, you are in the 90's already???
    JF

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Your collection is looking very happy Gary, congrats. Should be a good year for mangoes.......

-Ethan

• zands
    13 years ago

You got your mango mojo working, your Thrilla from Manila looks great. I just planted what was called a "Philippine" mango and hope it comes out as good. They must be cousins related via Mexico.

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoDog

Felipe is right. Old Manny stands in a land among giants yet he finds a way to SHINE. Those are unique pics you should submit them to the FRUIT GARDENER.

JF

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Hey Gary,

Nice to see your Trees coming to Life. That Flowering Glenn is friggin out of control. Do you a strong aroma from your flowering Mangos? I know my when mine was flowering, my Greenhouse was filled with that aroma. How much do you water your younger Mango trees? I am just starting with Mangos myself so I have little to no first hand knowledge when it comes to growing them. Thanks for sharing.........keep the pics coming!

• zands
    13 years ago

Laverne Nursery Manila mango is what you have? They seem very well suited to your dry climate and cold hardy with your harsh winter temperatures with nighttime plunges. The Laverne Manila is of Mexican origin? Must be.

BTW California citrus has thicker skins than Florida citrus due to the cold desert nights compared to Florida.

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry - the ripening time seems totally dependant on the heat. Last summer was cooler so Manny didn't produce until Aug. 1, but the year before it was the beginning 0f July...

Felipe - actually used the two trunks of the palm trees and a big rock to create a triangular planting pocket, and used some rocks and mortar to essential build a planter between them all, filled it up with dirt and potting soil, and put a drip line in the middle - let me see if I can show it in a picture...

JF - we've hit upper 80's but no 90's yet....soon enough though...Fruit and Gardener....? hmmmmmm.....we'll mull that over....

MojoSandjo - I've seen it said and written a bunch of times that the Manila and Phillipine are close if not the same mango, but i don't know....so good luck with yours ...yes, i'm sure it was a laverne manila from the depot....

Jacob13 - no i've never smelled a mango flower - I think the greenhouse concentrates it....mine seem inert when it comes to odor...as far as watering - about 10 minutes every other day now....

thanks, gang.....mangoK-9

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

there is one more that I have that I displayed as a reply to I think a post by Jacob13, but for those that didn't see it.....

Madame Pickering

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

zands...
    Where'd ya buy the 'Philippine' mango? It is not easy to find a true Philippine from the Philippines mango, because it is much easier to get the Manila type which is a descendant from the trees the Spaniards brought to Mexico during the Manila-Acapulco Galleon trade, hence "Manila" mango. I'd like to buy one that is closer to the Guimaras mango which is listed with Guiness as sweetest. Nipa doesn't seem to be in the business anymore and I found out they sold the Philippine'Carabao' after they sold their business(apparently).

:)

• zands
    13 years ago

tropicaliste
    Pine Island nursery sells the Philippine mango. You should read their description and phone the right person there who can tell you more. They say it got to Florida via Cuba. It must be the same Manila type that is big in Mexico?

"like to buy one that is closer to the Guimaras mango"

That would be nice. Carabao is getting to be a generic name. For what it is worth Zill's wholesales out a Philippine mango they call Carabao and Pine Island *might* be getting their Philippines from Zill's "best in business" grafting operations. Jeff Hagen posts here and can get you a Zill's Philippine/Carabao mango

Very murky

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island nursery sells the Philippine mango

• zands
    13 years ago

tropicaliste
    Where? Got my Zills Philippine mango from Jeff Hagen

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Thank you zands you're information's very useful, I would have liked to get the "carabao" offered by Nipa because I knew they were Filipino so I felt the scions were true "carabao", (nipa is the grass the roofs of native houses are made of) as a lot of their seedlings were listed on ebay as being directly from the PH.
    All the "alphonso" and "champagne" manila mangoes are descended from the original imported seedlings, it was a back and forth trade so for instance you will find many South American origin fruit in the PH like Soursop, Sweetsop, Caimito and Mombins.
    I e-mailed PI about theirs quite a long time ago and they told me they believed it to be a true PH mango but could not say definitively.

Heard a lot of good things about Zill's from the experiences on this forum and I think you're right on as far as trying to go through their retail partners.

:)

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Your trees and yard look great. I like the three stooges tree wish more nurseries would do that, its a great idea.

• zands
    13 years ago

tropicaliste---
    You could always mail an inquiry to "Zills high performance plants". Enclose a stamped envelope or postcard. Zill has no website.

Plus you can email PI again and might get more definitive answer but they might not have one because they are getting their grafted Philippine mangoes from Zills. Get it? lol

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

....agree with you SW, the only danger that I can see being the more aggressive graft will outgrow the slower ones, potentially swallowing them up....thus....a need for vigilant pruning at least for as long as one can or is willing, to do so..........

I have a 5-in-1 citrus tree that I didn't trim for the first 6 years and the lemon part was so agressive I had to completely axe it off at the graft point - and so now the remaining oranges and lime are sharing space very nicely with just a snip here or there for control

....mangopupster

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Mangodog that planter set up you created is awesome!! Love it!

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

marinfla - space restrictions are the mother of ingenuity!

mangobonesnatcher

• marinfla
    13 years ago

I hear ya on the land deficit... I suffer that problem too. So I have lots of mangoes and figs growing in containers all lined up and the only place I could put one more tree in the ground would be in the front yard. But i haven't decided yet what kind of fruit specimen will be worthy of the last spot. I have to give the debate some time to roll around in my head;
    There are so many choices so little space :)

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Gary

we got slammed this weekend with 6 inches of rain - my mangos in full bloom are in trouble. How was it in the desert??

Mango question for anyone: does a heavy rain storm stop pollination?

JF

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

JF:

While moisture can help with the proliferation of anthracnose it does not, in my experience, hinder pollination.

Harry

• zands
    13 years ago

jfernandez
    Could wash off some pollen if very heavy rain...

• mangodog
    Original Author
    13 years ago

JOE ` yes I heard you guys got hit like cannon balls with this spring/winter storm. We only got about 1/2 inch from last night and some today, but boy is it COLD out - only hit 59 today, and our average high is supposed to be 80.

I was really shccked at how cold it is outside....snow in the mountains ONCE AGAIN - and I thought that was a distant memory from what we've had the last few weeks....

Good luck with your mango bloom/babies........

mangofido

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Harry

Thanks for your feedback I was a bit worry because my flowers on my Edward are drying up fast.

Gary

What a crazy weekend, even today, we had 1/2 in. and it looks like more rain on Wed. and Thrus.

The frost is over but it seems like old man winter still has a few surprise up his sleeve.

JF