Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zigmund_gw

Types of Nam Dok Mai

Zigmund
11 years ago

Hi mango lovers!

I wanted to be enlightened about the different nam dok mais.

A tree seller in thailand says there's Nam Dok Mai Mun (good for green eating), and Nam Dok Mai See Thong (best when ripe).

I noticed in this forum, many have refered to the different nam dok mais as NDM#, with NDM#4 being the most highly regarded.

Does anybody know what NDM#4 could be in terms of what it's probabaly called in Thai?

Thanks!
Zigmund

Comments (5)

• bananafan
    11 years ago

Zigmund,

According to the discussion in this link, Nam Doc Mai would mean "Sweet Water Flower," if I understood it correctly.
    http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3320.0

I didn't know that the Nam Doc Mai is a Thai variety. I've always thought of it as having a Vietnamese origin. I have a small plant about 2-3 ft. I don't know which variety of the two you've mentioned. Right now, it isn't doing too good .. with white spots on the leaves which I plan to clean it up with alcohol soon. I don't know if it's more or less disease resistant. I bought it because I heard it produces nice fruit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Virtual Herbarium

• Zigmund
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bananafan,
    Thanks for your comment :)
    Yes, as far as I know NDM is Thai, though I'd have to agree the name "namdocmai" can pass off as viet-sounding words.

You're right. NDM produces very nice fruit. Delicious! And that's coming from someone whose staple mango is a carabao mango. I too, have recently planted namdocmais. They're 2 months old. I decided to plant NDM when I was able to verify that the mangoes I've been eating in Singapore (bought off the shelf) and sold as "thai honey mango" was indeed namdocmai.

I'm not too worried about your plant as I've always known mango to be a hardy plant. You just have to know whether or not its getting just the right amount of sun and water. But don't just take my word for it. I hope someone would be able to advise you on what the white spots are.

I was truly dissapointed to find out that the namdocmais I finally have could be of a different type of namdocmai as the ones which fruit I've tasted. That comes with having more than one kind of it.

Oh well, if any one knows what NDM#4 or has its full description compared to its other varieties I'd be very glad to hear from you :)

Thanks!

• Zigmund
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Bananafan,
    Thanks for your comment :)
    Yes, as far as I know NDM is Thai, though I'd have to agree the name "namdocmai" can pass off as viet-sounding words.

You're right. NDM produces very nice fruit. Delicious! And that's coming from someone whose staple mango is a carabao mango. I too, have recently planted namdocmais. They're 2 months old. I decided to plant NDM when I was able to verify that the mangoes I've been eating in Singapore (bought off the shelf) and sold as "thai honey mango" was indeed namdocmai.

I'm not too worried about your plant as I've always known mango to be a hardy plant. You just have to know whether or not its getting just the right amount of sun and water. But don't just take my word for it. I hope someone would be able to advise you on what the white spots are.

I was truly dissapointed to find out that the namdocmais I finally have could be of a different type of namdocmai as the ones which fruit I've tasted. That comes with having more than one kind of it.

Oh well, if any one knows what NDM#4 or has its full description compared to its other varieties I'd be very glad to hear from them :)

Thanks!

• gotsomerice
    11 years ago

Nam Doc Mai:

Nam = water
    Doc Mai = flower

Nam Doc Mai = Flower's Nectar

Num = Crunchy, Crispy (Apple-liked usually without the tart taste)

See Thong = Gold Color.

It is a Thai Mango not Vietmanese.

Hope this help.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I've got 6 Nam Dok Mais but don't know which variety. There lots grown here, they're a major export to the Asian community, as I understand, for cooking.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida