Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

California MANGO orchard goes belly up?

I happen to see on Google images that a 20 year old orchard in the Coachella valley closed its offices. The image was from Mango World magazine. The links to that website are hard to navigate. Never could find that particular article.
Anybody know more about this?

Comments (7)

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

REally??? That's in my neighborhood....I'll go on line now and check it out. One of them was called Wong's and the other....like Margoles or something....let me see what I can find...thanks, stan...

MDog

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

Here's what I found - it's on Marguleas', but didn't say the Mango orchards were closing down:, just some of his offices. Yes, Stan, it was in the MangoWorld magazine::

"Howard Marguleas, Produce Industry Legend and California mango grower has shut down the offices of AG ACCOUNTING LLC, the management arm of his vast agricultural concerns in the Coachella Valley in California.

In a communication from Mr.Marguleas' Chief of Staff of 20 years, Kathie Allen shared the following email:

Yesterday was my last day to work for Howard Marguleas and Ag Accounting as both offices here in La Quinta and Incline Village have closed.

The past 20+ years with Howard as his Chief of Staff and Office Manager have been extraordinary.

It has been my privilege and honor to be associated with you on either a professional or personal level. My professional career will continue in a new venue so perhaps (and hopefully) our paths will cross again.

All emails for Howard should be sent to hpmarguleas@agaccountingllc.com.

All emails for me personally should be sent to kathieoallen@gmail.com.

Please delete kallen@agaccountingllc.com from your contacts.

In addition, my cell is: (760) 985-0045 .

Wishing you good fortune, the very best of health, and happy days always.

Warm regards,
    Kathie

The various farming ventures that Mr. Marguleas is involved in fall under different partnerships and joint ventures.

Among the various commodities are approximately 200 acres of mango production which are marketed jointly by Corona Heights Citrus of riverside, California.

The mango operations are managed by HMS Farm management company which handles the day to day farming.

This is a developing story ....."

and that's exactly how the article ended. G

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks MAD. The photo of a Mango orchard with tree's that don't look very productive also seemed to be telling a story...

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

well...good point.....did kind of look a bit unkempt didn't it?
    Would be a shame. I should buy it and take over!

Gary

Original Author
    10 years ago

On the other hand..the Mango orchards nearer the coast look beautiful. One pic in the L.A. times shows a tree with a heavy trunk,perfect foliage almost to the ground and dozens of purple Mango fruit. The total lack of frost and still warm enough 80f+ summer does them good. I think that person just planted the wrong tree from the start..they ripen in winter,so are sold as green Mango's (that are not green?)..for cooking. The smaller Manila just begs to be commercial here,nobody's trying it.

• myamberdog
    10 years ago

Where is this orchard near the coast? Didn't know they're were any....mad

Original Author
    10 years ago

Valley Center near San Diego? I'm not familiar with it. 50 miles west of the deserts. The Markov's.
    Sounds like the Markov's should have planted a more coastal tree themselves. To get a late summer product. Mango growers in California should ask the hobbyists. They went by what does best in Florida...none of them tried Villa Senor or Manila.
    But,the Markov's tree's look great...loaded with fruit.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm