Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murahilin_gw

Frankie's Order

murahilin
14 years ago

I am getting ready to place an order at Frankie's and I was wondering if anyone in the South Florida area wanted to purchase anything from Frankie's also so we could split the shipping and handling fees.

Here is a link that might be useful: Frankie's Nursery

Comments (28)

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

I wish!
    So......what are you ordering???

• Andrew Scott
    14 years ago

Murahilin,
    I wish I lived in Florida. I am planning on placeing an order but I don't have anyone around here that could go in with me and share the handling and shipping charges. I would also be interested in finding out what you are ordering. How did your tropicals make out from the the unusually cold winter you had?
    Andrew

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

I am planning on ordering a maprang from them soon. If you would be willing to hang on to the plant for a couple months I could order with you and pick it up when head down to Harry's. Do you know how far you are from Harry's place?

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am thinking about ordering a dwarf coconut, grafted maprangs, and maybe the Waimanalo mamey apple.

Andrew,
    All of my plants survived the winter fine. My malay apple is the only one that lost its leaves but that happens every year.

John,
    I am only about 5-10 minutes from Harry so keeping the plant for you wouldn't be a problem.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

John had mentioned the possibility of a Frankie's order quite a few weeks ago. I was going to join him but then had some issues pop up that made me take pause about ordering some finicky new plants. I am still mulling over whether I want to jump into some new things like a grafted Maprang. Keep me on the possibly interested list and please give me a final warning when the order is in need of finalizing. Thanks.

Harry

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Harry I think you should definitely get a grafted maprang. I just ordered about 20 seeds online. If you're interested in a seedling let me know.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Just email me when you are ready and I'll send you the money. Right now I am probably just going to get a Kai maprang , but if I can scrape a little extra cash together I will get a Rapoza mango too.

Harry, you know you want to order, just give in...

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

how much is shipping an handling usually? i want to try another marang

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ok, I just looked at Frankie's List. Iffffffff, I was going to order, I would get a Rapoza Mango and the two grafted Maprangs. I did eye the mangosteens.......I assume also grafted.....but I swore that the last one I killed would be my last. So....iffffffff, I order, I am not allowed to order a mangosteen. Please do not let me order one. Please.

Sheehan:

I'd be happy to try a Maprang seedling if you have one to spare...thanks.

Harry

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Mango kush, The shipping is not really to bad, where they get you is with the $30 processing fee. So the fee is a lot less per plant if you can get a decent sized order together.

Harry, I am not sure if the Mangosteens they sell are grafted. I didn't think so. Either way, I can't imagine they would have much of a shot after being bare rooted for so long. The maprangs seem to take bare rooting well. Mine handled shipping fine and I also bare rotted it again when I potted it up to a larger container recently.

Mine is also re blooming most of the branches that previously flowered but did not hold fruit so it looks like these flower just like mangoes. I also recently tested the cold hardiness of these by mistake. I had thought that I put the maprang in the greenhouse but it wasn't It had been outside unprotected for the last 2 weeks. We had a night down as low as 42, with almost none of the nights staying above 50. The plant and the blooms look fine so I think these may be a little more cold hardy than I had first thought.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mango kush,
    Email me if youre interesting in getting a marang.

What's special about the rapoza mango? The sindhu mango seems interesting. It is supposed to be seedless. Anyone have any experience with that one?

Harry,
    As soon as I get the seeds germinated i'll bring you one.

John,
    Its good to hear that the maprangs arent that cold sensitive because I plan on planting them in the ground.
    Do you think you will get any fruit set?

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

I am hoping it will hold a couple, but from what Sadhu told me I should not expect it to. He said that they will usually flower for a couple seasons before they hold any fruit. It's probably for the best because the tree is still pretty small.

I think you may be ok with it in ground. I think they are pretty small trees and they grow slowly so you could probably protect it pretty easily. I think it would need a decent amount of protection even down by you to get through a bad winter like we just had though.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

Forgot to ask, when are you planning to do the order? I just need to know when I have to get the money together by.

I don't know much about the rapoza, but I have heard that it is considered one of the best in Hawaii.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

On Rapoza......I've never tasted it, but my sources in Hawaii tell me it is worth having. Years ago, Crafton Clift "panned" the Rapoza along with a bunch of other Hawaiian mangoes setting off a furor in Hawaii. I trust my sources. I think it is worth the purchase.

Harry

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

John,
    I will probably place the order around the end of next week sometime to try and make sure it will be able to ship the week of the 4th.

Harry,
    I just did a google search on the rapoza and it looks like it is a nice mango. 2+ lbs, small seed, no fiber, sweet, juicy. I definitely think you should make it a new addition to your yard.

• bluepalm
    14 years ago

I have a friend that grows exotic fruits in Hawaii on 3 acres. His favorite mango ("big mango, great annual production, excellent taste") is the Rapoza.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ok, ok.....count me in for a Rapoza mango and the two grafted Maprangs. Let me know how much I need to give you and when. Thanks.

Harry

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

im in for a Marang seedling, assai palm seedling, and a Noels yellow passionfruit if you can wait until next Friday for payment.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

I hate you guys.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

this will be my third assai and second marang, i always get them small and they die, im going to try a gritty mix this time.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Have you tried growing them in the ground?

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

yes but i got it bareroot from Sadhu, it was actually large but got too much sun i think. i sent you mail. im im getting black pepper too, im not sure about the assai palm now.

this will be my second black pepper vine too, idk why the first wasnt happy.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I placed the order.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

what did you get?

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They were out of a lot of things. They didnt have any maprang seedlings, or the passionfruit you wanted. I ended up ordering:
    3 Kai maprangs
    1 Mayong chid maprang (that's all they had)
    1 nutmeg (supposed to be hermaphrodite from seed, dont know if to believe it or not but it was cheap)
    1 black pepper (for mango kush)

I wish they had more things available. I was really looking forward to the Samoan dwarf coconut but they didnt have any.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

did you ask them if they had Maprang or Marang seedlings? im trying to grow Marang.

doesnt matter now i suppose. how much was the nutmeg, it was like $150 on their price sheet.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I asked them for the marang seedlings. I mistyped in my post above. I included a link for marang seeds on ebay in another post. Ever tried growing them from seed?

The nutmeg was $30 in a 2gal and it didn't have to be bare rooted.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hello Mango kush,
    I grew marang from seed. I thought they were very easy to germinate. The seeds came from Puerto Rico but not exactly sure where. Bo sent them to me to germinate for her. I now have 2 that are a few inches tall. For me, there slow growers.

Sheehan,
    That sucks about the maprang. I wanted to order one this summer. I wonder how long it will be before they have more. Did they say anything about there trip to Vietnam? They told me a while back they were going there to bring back other tropical fruits.
    I am going to have to check and see what they have this summer.
    Andrew

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living