Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catbox_9

Growing a Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) in a Container

catbox_9
14 years ago

Hello. While picking up some stuff at Lowes today I noticed they had Dragon Fruit plants in #2 pots. I've never seen these for sale so I went ahead and bought one. Since it's probably too cold here in the winter I will have to leave mine in a pot and put it in the greenhouse for the winter.

As for my question, what is a good size pot for this plant if I want it to be about 6 feet high? I was thinking about taking an 18 gallon tote bin and making some sort of barrier down the middle so I could eventually plant 2 varieties in the same container to improve pollination (my variety says it's self-fertile). Is this container too big, too small, or impractical in some way? Is there a better solution? Should I even bother looking or another variety (Lowes' website indicates they have others).

Finally, are there any good trellis setups I can make for whatever type of container I eventually settle on?

If it matters, my dragon fruit is H. polyhizus with red flesh (variety not named).

--------

Sorry to have so many questions but I never even considered purchasing one of these plants until I saw it and I just couldn't say no. They're just too cool looking. Unfortunately I don't know much about this plant or how to grow it.

Comments (3)