Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing a Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) in a Container

Posted by catbox_9 CA 8B / Sunset 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 17:34

Hello. While picking up some stuff at Lowes today I noticed they had Dragon Fruit plants in #2 pots. I've never seen these for sale so I went ahead and bought one. Since it's probably too cold here in the winter I will have to leave mine in a pot and put it in the greenhouse for the winter.

As for my question, what is a good size pot for this plant if I want it to be about 6 feet high? I was thinking about taking an 18 gallon tote bin and making some sort of barrier down the middle so I could eventually plant 2 varieties in the same container to improve pollination (my variety says it's self-fertile). Is this container too big, too small, or impractical in some way? Is there a better solution? Should I even bother looking or another variety (Lowes' website indicates they have others).

Finally, are there any good trellis setups I can make for whatever type of container I eventually settle on?

If it matters, my dragon fruit is H. polyhizus with red flesh (variety not named).

--------

Sorry to have so many questions but I never even considered purchasing one of these plants until I saw it and I just couldn't say no. They're just too cool looking. Unfortunately I don't know much about this plant or how to grow it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing a Dragon Fruit (Pitaya) in a Container

DF can grow in pots that are unbelievably small. At one time I had American Beauty growing 6 feet up the side of my GH in a quart sized container.

Here is the container I use now. My wife thinks it's ugly, it is, but I have three varieties and all have fruited for a couple of years now. 30 gallon, I think:
Dragonfruit support system

Bloom:
Dragonfruit bloom

o

i grow all my pitaya in 7 gallon containers. they become epiphytic, they rely on their air roots for nutrients.

growing them in containers i was told by Pine Island ensures they dont focus on rooting in ground instead of growing and developing air roots.

heres delight and yellow dragon in the left hand corner
Photobucket
Photobucket

some physical graffiti cuttings
Photobucket

o

Thanks for the above info. I guess 15 gallon for 2 is too big. I'll just throw it in a small round pot and if I ever get another one do the same.

It seems like I read somewhere yesterday saying people like to put them in half-full 15 gallon pots (which would be 7.5 gallons). I might do that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here