Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zarafet

Weird Mango Branch- Should I remove?

zarafet
10 years ago

I purchased a Kent mango tree last season, and it had this clustered branch with many buds on it. The buds never got larger. Initially, one would think its flowering, but the same picture you see here is exactly what it looked like last year. It is heavy and all of these buds are on a one foot long branch that does not go vertical. Is this good wood, possible flowering material, or should I remove this branch?

Has anyone seen this before?

Also, my mango is very "leggy" how can I fix it? I am about to put it in the ground (its in a 15 gallon container and has a trunk three inches wide), as I purchased it in September and I wanted to wait till spring.

Any help is appreciated.

Comments (10)

• sapote
    10 years ago

The center top short branch seems to have some kind of fungus issue (blacken); I would remove this.

The weird branch: It happened to my Lancetilla too. I think what happened was the tree tried to push out flower a bit later in the season or when the young tree already had a fruit or more and it lacked of energy to push out the flower buds, plus with exposed to direct hot sun, a section of the trunk below it got injured from sun radiation and limited the flow of nutrient to the weird branch. The growing cells was in a limbo state and became cancerous. I cut it off recently to promote new grow shoots. If you keep it I think eventually it will push out some undeveloped flower but go nowhere.

• zarafet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for replying. I took your advice and removed it. At this time I prefer a more active vegetative state and feel that âÂÂcancerâ may have stripped the tree of its nutrients for other branches and leaves. I see evidence the tree wants to flower, but it's taking longer than usual and could have been due to that. The kent should be in full flower by now and it's not, :( they have generally until mid march to flower where I live.... Darn growth, thanks again!

• sapote
    10 years ago

When did you buy last year and did you have it exposed to full summer sun? I found it's damaging for mangoes this size to be in full hot summer sun -- I'm in 91501. I also think it's best to have full morning sun but shade after 2pm on the lower part of the tree. The top foliage can take full sun all day but the naked trunk needs some protection. This year I stapled white printer papers around the naked trunks up to the young green section. Young mangoes can't take full hot summer sun, but not all books talk about this.

• zarafet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in San Bernardino, I got it in September, I'll definitely make sure I get the trunk protected, it's not full enough to shade itself. That what I do with my cherimoyas.

• mangodog
    10 years ago

zara - I'd cut all that funky flower/bud branch stuff right out. Something's wrong there - and the black fungal stuff too. maybe paint over the cut wounds with something. Also, if you pull your camera back, we can see maybe where would be good places to prune it so we can create a nice scaffold on it....

MDog

• zarafet
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thanks!!!! it looks like a wisteria vine more than a mango, it's all vines and legs, maybe I just chose the worst one albeit the largest.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    10 years ago

Good point from Sapote. I notice my in ground plant seems to shingle leafs in a way the trunk is shaded from hot summer sun. Maybe young Mangoes like Avocados might benefit from a trunk whitewash?
    Mangoes in California react to our climate in strange ways...all that cool in winter or nights..has them reeling as to when to flower. I've had them flower off the trunk..and picked a ripe sweet fruit from that.

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    10 years ago

Zarafet, you may want to GOOGLE up some info/images on mango malformation disease and see how they compare.

DM

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    10 years ago

Looks like what is called 'Witches' Broom ',to me.....usually caused by a virus-like organism but I'm not sure of the cause or vector in mango. Witches' brooms are well documented in mango.

• sapote
    10 years ago

So MMD is a serious disease which I didn't know, and the infected tree needs to be destroyed or isolated from transmitting to others. Oh well, these mangoes seem to have too many disease, probably from unnatural cloning instead of random natural selection process of seedling. This is like many disease with purebred cats or other animals.