Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ch3rri

Sugar Apple 1st fruit

ch3rri
14 years ago

I'm so excited because my seed grown sugar apple fruit is actually sweet!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sugar Apple 1st Fruit

Comments (19)

• swrancher
    14 years ago

Congratulations thats really an accomplishment.

• rayandgwenn
    14 years ago

Yea! Nice job!
    Wait.... you have a sugar apple fruiting now??!!! I assume it has been on your tree since last summer and has taken this long to ripen?
    My tree are just starting to leaf and flower, fruit not expect for about 4-5 months.

• ohiojay
    14 years ago

Very very nice! Nice size too. Obviously some off-season fruit. I just had a couple myself. I'm ready to start plucking leaves off to spur it on with new growth and blooms. Your plants look very good.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks guys. I am extremely happy since the fruit is sweet. So I guess it have nothing to do with enough sunlight or not. My Lisa atemoya is not as good since the fruits were not that sweet compared to the sugar apple. The sugar apple was pollinated by the bee around September. Guess it took longer since it was in the house since early November.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

i hear that the major reason people graft varieties is because of seed count.

someone onve told me about anonas that every fruit of that tree will have the same number of seeds. is this true?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Nicely grown Kristy! The fruit looks pretty meaty. Although sugar apples tend to have too many seeds and varying degrees of stone cells that give the flesh a grainy texture, most of the ones I have had are nice and sweet. There is a good reason why they call them "sugar apples." There have been some variation in the sourrounding flavors as well in the ones that I have had. Good to hear that your's seems to have multiple good characteristics. You can be very proud of your accomplishment. Since this variety is now a new cultivar, you have the right to name it. Any ideas for a name??

Harry

• kemistry
    14 years ago

great job ch3rri!!! looks delicious : )

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehehehe...a name? I don't know what to name it. I just know I bought the fruits from Canada and then sneaked the seeds back to PA. The fruits were huge and delicious. Maybe I can call it the Canadian Sugar Apple? LOL...hehehe... I didn't taste any grainy texture. I think most of the grainy part maybe the flesh closest to the skin? I regret I didn't plant more than one tree. Now I don't even know where the original seeds are...lol.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Kristy:

No, I don't think Canadian Sugar Apple is a good idea.....after all.....not very descriptive of the fruit. And besides, I am sure they imported it from somewhere. Any idea where they brought it in from? I would suggest something more suiting.....like Annona Squamosa var. "Ch3rri's Pride". Sounds a lot better to me!

Harry

• yaslan
    14 years ago

Wow. That's very impressive ch3rri ! I've never tasted a sugar apple, yours looks yummy.

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hehehehe....Ch3rri's Pride...lol. That's a good one. Thanks Harry.

I think fruits from Canada either imported from Vietnam or Thailand. They can import fruits from Asia.

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

nice job. fruit looks delicious. how long from seed to fruit?

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

This tree is at least 3 years old. I remember I started the seed on my windowsill during the winter. Could not believe it's already over 3 years.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Three years is pretty good for partial indoor growing. They supposedly can fruit in 1 year with perfect conditions, but I have never had one that fruited before 2 1/2 years. And that's growing year round outside in Florida.

Harry

• c00rdb
    14 years ago

Congratulations, impressive fruit.

..I'm not too familiar with these, other than a young seedling I have. How did you know when it was ripe? Did you give artificial light? Hopefully now you'll get an avalanche of these to enjoy.

-Greg

• ch3rri
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The tree is in the morning room so it doesn't need any artificial light. The fruit is ready to pick when the segments on the fruit even out. After picking the fruit then I place it on the counter for a couple days to soften. Do not let it overripe as too soft is not good.

• charleslou23
    13 years ago

ch3rri, got a picture of your sugar apple plant or tree?

• marinfla
    13 years ago

I am very impressed and inspired by what you have done since I germinated Cherimoya seeds in October and then recently transplanted 7 Cherimoya seedlings to bigger pots. They are all growing nicely and thanks to you I now have a renewed sense of excitement for the future of my seedlings now that I see how well yours has done. Great Job!!!

• vidnand
    2 years ago

Hi All, we live near Los Angeles. we have a green sugar apple tree that i started from seed (from India)around 3 yrs back. The tree is in a 15 gal black placstic container. It just started fruiting this year. i see a lot of baby fruits. Hope they all make it. I woud love to get some red or some other variety Sugar apple seeds. would one of u mind sharing some seeds with me? i can send u some of the seeds from my plant once my fruit matures. Thanks in advance. - V