Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
guajiro_gw

Dot mango's hard to find

guajiro
13 years ago

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and I just started late last year planting tropical fruit trees in my yard.

As of late I've been searching for the Dot mango. After reading several posts by hmhausman I've been searching for a Dot mango, but none of the well-known nurseries in South Florida (like PIN and Lara's) carry it. I called Zill's today and they carry it in a wide range of pots, but they don't sell to the public. Does anyone know of any local nursery that might carry this tree?

Thanks

Comments (13)

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Excalibur in Lake Worth has many Dot mango trees.
    Excalibur Fruit Trees
    5200 Fearnley Rd
    Lake Worth, Florida 33467
    (561) 969-6988

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

It would probably have to be special ordered from Zill's by a nursery in your area . Where are you located?

Harry

• swrancher
    13 years ago

If your located in Broward area you can have Spykes in Davie special order one from Zill. I got my Dot Mango tree last year at the Broward Rare Fruit Council spring tree sale.

• guajiro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Many thanks for the replies.

I called Excalibur today and they seem to have the largest stock of Dot mangos, maybe due to their close proximity to Zill's. I will be picking one up soon on my way down from a surf trip to Sebastian Inlet.

Harry, I live in SW Miami-Dade. Your guanabana tree is gorgeous btw. Is it multiple seedlings in one hole?

Thanks for sharing and hopefully I will get to meet some of you at the next RFCI meeting March 9th.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

I am in West Hollywood. I made the hike up to Excalibur. Dont miss the exit or you will end up in Jupiter.

I got my Dot from Spykes grove on Griffin rd east of University, they order Zills trees

• mangodog
    13 years ago

....and I've forgotten...what is so good about the Dot Mango?

mangomolars

• murahilin
    13 years ago

You have to miss quite a few exits to end up in Jupiter.

guajiro,
    I am not sure how many of the members here to go to the Miami RFC meetings. Do you know who the speaker will be this month?
    I don't think Excalibur buy any of its 3 gallon dots from Zills but instead propagates them all themselves.

• mango-maniatico
    13 years ago

Hello everyone.I have been reading this forum for quite a while and a love it.I just sign to become a member.

Guajiro,I think i know where u cant find a Dot .I got one for myself there just a couple of months ago.The place is call Rays Nursery,is close to Lara and PI.Is on Krome Ave between Eureka(184 st) and Quail R..?(200 st)on the right side of Krome if u r going north.

I havent tasted the Dot yet but im trusting Harry here.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

you dont have to only trust Harry, you can rest on Frank Smathers opine as well. He was a well known mango enthusiast here who donated his 32 acre orchard to the University of Miami. If it were not for him Dot may have very well fell into obscurity

• squam256
    13 years ago

Dot mango wiki article. Just added a description:

Here is a link that might be useful: Dot mango

• guajiro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mango-maniatico, Thanks so much for recommending Ray's. They have plenty of Dots in stock.

• mango-maniatico
    13 years ago

Guajiro- dont mention it-im glad u find it.Elsa,the lady that sold me the dot,when i ask her about it-she change the face kind of-OH DOT, YUMMY-I LOVE THAT ONE.