Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to container Mangos..

Posted by pj1881 10a(WPBFL) (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 18, 11 at 19:09

Well I ran out of space in my yard for trees in the ground.. So I have begun to plant in containers..
So far I have a Fairchild Mango and a Nam Doc Mai both in containers, and a Cogshall in the ground.. I was thinking of maybe looking for a Pickering, because I like the Coconut undertone. Any suggestions.. I live in Palm Beach County near WPB Airport, so I have no worries as to temps..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to container Mangos..

You have a great selection there. Currently, I only have a Julie and a Manila seedling. I want to add either a Nam Doc Ma or Mallika myself.

o

I have a Glenn and Pickering in containers...although I know Glenn can get large...but you can always "pug" the trees to keep them in check.

I've had mixed feeling about Mallika since I've read several reviews of the taste having "carrot undertones" and picking them before they ripen on the tree...I'm not sure I would like carrot flavor in my Mangoes,lol...but taste is very subjective so plant the ones that you like the taste of! Good luck with whatever you decide to plant.

o

Thanks! How big of a pot does a "container" Mango require as a "permanent" home?

o

Personally, I would go with a 15gal to 30gal container. Anything bigger, it can become quite a hassle to root prune. A good idea is to get 30 gal plastic drum, cut the top off and mount some wheels on the bottom.

My supply of big containers now comes from used and washed out 30 gal plastic drums from the carwash (they use biodegradable soap). This saves me a good deal of money, I also spray paint them grey or black.

o

How often do you root prune nullzero?

o

I try to do it once a year. If I miss it, I make it a point to get it done within 2 years.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here