Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dangermouse01

Lemon Zest mango- good in container?

Hi all, new member here.

Been searching around on the web, looking for info on the Lemon Zest mango, but hadn't found my answers. Was wondering how well it does as a container grown tree?

I currently have a Kent in the ground and a mallika in a container. And I am looking to get one or two more varieties that do well in containers.

If the LZ is a candidate for container growing, then I may have to start looking for one. Hadn't seen any at the local nurseries yet here on the East coast of central Florida. But I do get down to South Florida (Homestead/Keys area) about every 6 weeks and over to the Fort Myers area a couple times a year. So driving to get one isn't a problem, shoot it will just give me a good reason to go somehwere.

Thanks for any info.

DM

Comments (6)

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Hi DM, I can't comment on Lemon zest since I don't grow it, but if you're looking for a good variety for container mango do a search on 'Pickering mango'. Very small tree and produces well and very good taste. I've tasted the fruits and its very good, fiber free, sweet and some people claim they have a hint of coconut flavor. I've read a lot of posts how happy people are with this variety. I'm in the hunt for one myself...
    http://www.tropicalfruitnursery.com/mango/pickering-mango.shtml

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Pickering Mango tree...

• squam256
    12 years ago

Technically you can grow any mango in a container if you are aggressive enough with the pruning. Lemon Zest, from what I understand, is a regular/vigorous grower and will become a 'full size' tree if allowed to do so.

So I think there are probably better choices for a pot.....Pickering, Fairchild, Rosigold, Cogshall, Nam Doc Mai #4......not all of these are 'dwarfs' as they are sometimes described but they are easier to keep small due to their growth habits.

Even medium-vigor cultivars like Carrie and Glenn may be more appropriate choices

But if you find you love the LZ and have to have it, I'm sure it could be grown in a pot.

• gnappi
    12 years ago

puglvr1,

I got a real nice Pickering from Jeff a couple of months ago. It's ~3' tall and it was in full bloom when I got it. I never expected it to set and hold any fruit but it has 6 or so still on it.

If Jeff doesn't have any more, I'm pretty sure he has a contact for more.

Gary

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks Gary for your suggestion...if Jeff wasn't SO far from me I certainly would love to get one from him. Sadly, I think he's about a 5 hour round trip from me :o(

A local nursery is "trying' to find one for me...he goes to Miami once a year in Spring, he said "if" he finds one in his travels...he will pick it up for me at no additional cost for special delivery.

We'll see if he comes through in the next few weeks?

Thanks again!

• dangermouse01 (coastal central FL 9B)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

puglvr1 & squam256, thanks much for the info and suggestions.
    Don't necessarily need to have the LZ, was just trying to get info on it's growth habit. Only web info I seem to be able to find all pertains to the flavor/taste of the LZ.

The Nam Doc Mai and Cogshall were already on my list of possibilities, along with the Lancetilla. Will have to take a look at the Pickering.

Not in any hurry, I'll find the right one when I find it. That's the way it usually is for me.

DM

• squam256
    12 years ago

You should probably remove Lancetilla from your list.....its a vigorous grower and a so-so producer of ok tasting fruit.....not a good choice for container growing. For some reason it was labelled a 'condo mango' when it is nothing of the sort.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz