Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
blotchy Papaya leave

Posted by paulbfl 8B north Florida (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 19:41

We kept a papaya seedling indoors over-winter and just put it out yesterday. Today was very mild, but we came home to find the leaves looking like this.

I know these plants are susceptible to spider mites, but this pattern on the leaf doesn't match the pattern I've seen in other photos online of papayas with spider mites.

Note: The light-colored areas really ARE light, not just a trick of the light.

Any clues are welcome.

Thanks, Paul

This post was edited by paulbfl on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 19:46

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: blotchy Papaya leave

Looks like sunburn. If it was kept indoors and then put in the sun for hours, that's what will happen.

o

yep, sunburn - has happened to me before too....

mDog

o

Sunburn seems like an accurate diagnosis. Thanks to you both.

Now that the sunburn has happened, any suggestions about how to help the plant recover?

o

Plants without direct sunlight need to get gradually used to the direct sun. The burned parts will not recover, but dry out and the leaves will eventually fall off. The new leaves coming out in the sun will be ok automatically.

o

actually what papayas do, is steal minerals and nutrients from the bottom leaves to send to the top leaves when they are growing fast. (in lots of sun)

The bottom leaves drop normally after a time.
Often they go yellow or white first.

Im not saying that its NOT sunburn,
but i would keep that in mind.

Papaya LOVE the sun.
I live in New Orleans and am growing several.

I am looking for seeds of other varieties to grow.
We can trade if you like ?

Most of mine are Caribbean Red, (type of Maradol)
or just plain Maradol.

I have a few others but they are still small.

Brad

o

In my experience the more sun the better with papaya , but if your plant got used to the shade, then I can see this happening.

new leaves should be ok.

I have a couple growing, and actually placed one on the roof of a storage area, to maximize sun exposure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here