Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

Marinfla March 2011--Spring Yard Update

marinfla
13 years ago

My dogma ran over my Karma so I have been a bit out of the loop for a while and I have missed reading and keeping up with everyone's posts. But I am taking a deep breath and a step back to enjoy my tropical gardening and finally took some updated pictures. It was nice to see the difference from the last pics I took in 2010. I wish I could have made it to the PBRFC Sale this weekend.... but it may be just as well because I can't walk away from a good deal on a beautiful fruit tree and my husband may have killed me. I now have lychee on my mind and just started to germinate some pomegranate seeds. Happy Gardening :)

These are the Cherimoya seedlings I germinated in October 2010 are really doing well.

The Avocado seedling planted Nov 2005 grew at least 4 ft taller.... NO flowers so far this year :(

My potted Glenn mango in front of it.

Citrus Trees all fruiting:

Meyer Lemon

Var.Pink Lemonade with little fruits

Key Lime

Pink Grapefruit

The Navel Orange has little fruit but seems to be losing leaves and branches....this tree is not looking so good-?

THE MANGOES-- my favorite fruit!

Carrie, Pickering, Keitt

Glenn, Carrie, Pickering, Keitt

The Carrie (flowers all dried up and fell off- but it is started to send out more inflos again.

The Pickering is covered with fruit- not sure how many will make it but many are growing larger :)

The Lancetilla has lots of buds pushing-- not sure if it will grow foliage or flowers.

The Glenn and Cogshall did not hold their fruit but the Po Pyu Kalay has ONE, the Keitt did not flower (too young) and the seedlings are having nice growth flushes

The Fig trees are all growing new wood and foliage with a handful of briba figs and that big Oncidium in the left background is full of developing flower spikes-- it will turn into a big ball of yellow soon :)

Comments (18)

• pj1881
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

How often do you water your potted mangoes?

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In the dry season I water twice in a week....saturate them once and very lightly water the other time
    - In the hot summer I water them usually 2-3 times a week depending on how much rain we get.... saturate them once or twice and if they need it in between I lightly water.
    - I keep a bamboo stick close by and stick it into the soil all the way to the bottom of the pot first to see how dry they are beforehand to determine what it needs.
    - Also every other week I mix half strength MG in gallon sized jugs and dump a gallon in each pot.

Seems to be working ok :)

• franktank232
    13 years ago

Beautiful yard. Some very impressive container trees. I could really use your climate!

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Franktank232, I am grateful for this climate. Unfortunately I have a really small yard so I have to resort to container gardening. I probably have room for one more tree (or two if small) in the ground out in the front yard. I do have a good amount of balcony space on the second floor I haven't populated with planters yet...eventually :)
    M

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Marina - such nice staging you do for your pictures!
    You must be some kind of creative person in your other life.....

Everything looks great - you do have a green thumb. Mangos are my favorites too....good luck with everything and thanks for the tour.........

mangomuncher

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MarinFla

Very nice yard everything looks healthy and happy.

MangoDog - be careful you are effeminating Marinfla name. Marina is a female name in spanish.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Welcome back, glad to see your yard did not suffer while you were away from here. Everything is looking great, thanks for posting all the update pics.

-Ethan

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys LOL
    jfernandez I actually am of the female variety :)

mangodog the only trees that concern me is the navel orange it has a bunch of baby fruits but it is dropping lots of leaves and a few branches have dried up and died. Not sure why so I am just leaving it alone to wait and see what happens. And I made the mistake of taking a fig tree that had rust on it. It spread to the ones I already had and copper spray hasn't kept it from going to the new growth :(

I was thinking maybe we should all post a picture of ourselves on a " meet the members" thread.... any votes??

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Marinfla,

Not only do all of your Trees look Great, but so does your yard. Everything is so green. It is nice to see you back in the mix. Thanks for sharing your Pictures.

Jacob

• esco_socal
    13 years ago

I think Kristie(ch3rri) brought up the idea but nobody followed :(

Maybe it'll work this time. That's a YAY for me

Tim

• rayandgwenn
    13 years ago

Everything looks so healthy. Great growing!

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Hi Marin! Wow...what a very nice yard and look at all those beautiful trees...Fantastic! They are all looking great and healthy and have grown...look at all the baby mangoes and citrus fruits you have...Congrats! Isn't it exciting!

Thanks for the update and the wonderful pictures...its nice to see you back!

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Marinfla

Ooops, I'll never question MangoDog's intuition LOL

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks all for the encouraging compliments. Until I took the time to do my pictures again I had forgotten just a bit just how much I love this stuff.... my life sometimes gets in the way of all this green thumb fun. It makes me optimistic that one day when I retire I will have plenty to keep me active because I just love the challenge of seeing what will grow. I think that is why I really enjoy growing the seedlings too because it is like rolling the dice on what you can get a tree germinated from seed to do and what will it give you in return...and will it be something notable :) It is good to be back to having time to keep in touch here. And Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome back :)

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice trees! It shouldn't take much longer for the avocado to fruit. It looks huge and healthy.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Tropicalgrower89 I contacted a guy that commercially grew avocados and he told me that he used a method to induce flowering, he would feed it with high phosphorus fertilizer and bang a few thick galvanized steel nails (20 pound ?)into the trunk about 3-4 feet above the ground and this was successful. I never followed up to find out what time of the year to do this so by the time I got my head out of the sand it was already February. That is when I did the nails and did the high P for the second time (1st time was in Nov/Dec.) The tree is pushing meg new growth but I don't see flowers :( Maybe next year...it is only 5 yrs/4 mo. in the ground so I guess I have to be more patient :)
    I really wonder how long the cherimoyas will take to flower?? Anyone have an idea????????

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Wow. Learned something new there. I'm not sure about cherimoyas, but sugar apples(annona squamosa) which are in the same family start to flower and fruit when they are 2-3 years old.

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I somehow overlooked these pics in the album:

Potted Bananas-a big one and many babies- I am not sure of the variety?

Flowering Po Pyu Kalay: one fruit growing large

Flowering Glenn: all the flowers dried up, no fruit :(

Flowering Cogshall: a few fruit developed, but all fell off

All my trees are loving spring fever!
    Happy Growing

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz