Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
murahilin_gw

Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council Tree Sale 3/19/11

murahilin
13 years ago

Tomorrow, Saturday the 19th, from 9am-2pm there will be a tree sale at the South Florida Fairgrounds. The prices are pretty good and are usually a little cheaper than at the nurseries. There are many vendors so there is a wide selection of trees. Excalibur is the largest vendor with about half the trees being from them. You will probably be able to find any tree you are looking for at the sale. If you plan on going, go early because the good stuff sells out early.

Comments (18)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

I would love to go to the sale, dang, I'm sure everyone will post pics of all their wonderful finds and make me want to move to Florida even more.

:)

• pj1881
    13 years ago

I will be there at 8:57am.. Im hoping to locate a Pickering Mango!

• murahilin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I will be there to help out with the sale. I can try to make sure a pickering will be there.

Tropicaliste,
    Do you have a greenhouse or do you just bring all your plants indoors in the winter?

• sleep
    13 years ago

Sheehan,

Sending you an email.

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Murahalin,
    They're in the den, dining, and the bay window in the living room, so it's a bit of a chore but they are hanging in there until it gets warm enough to put out and it's surprising how much they adapt... I've a Miracle Fruit without a bag over it even and it is green and healthy...
    Had a small HFGH but didn't exactly cut it because even though it extended the growing season it just meant having to try to bring in plants when it was way too cold.

• pj1881
    13 years ago

Murahalin,
    Looks like you pulled some weight! My pickering Mango was all by itself at the show, bought it at 8:05..
    Thanks!

• pj1881
    13 years ago

Here are my two newest from todays Plant Sale in WPB FL.

By pj1881 at 2011-03-19
    Pickering Mango (Above)

By pj1881 at 2011-03-19
    Marcus Pumpkin Avocado (Above)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

Nice looking trees. Are you going to have them potted permanently or will they be going in the ground?

• pj1881
    13 years ago

I will eventually plant.. I will have to use "un-natural" selection, as Im running out of space.. How long will that avocado go before it runs out of root space??

• zands
    13 years ago

Your Pickering is looking good!

• swrancher
    13 years ago

I was at the sale this morning as well and scored a nice thick trunked Brewster Lychee at a bargain. I'll post a picture of it tomorrow.

I also noticed some unusual Thai and Vietnamese varietes of Mango that I was tempted to get but due to my cars limited backseat space for the ride home could not get.

They were a few huge Jaboticaba for $30.00 each that if I had a pickup truck would have went with me.

I really enjoy The Palm Beach Rare Fruit Council sales, they always have nice trees and if you look hard there are some at real bargain prices.

• murahilin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

swrancher,
    I think the few uncommon Thai mango varieties were from Excalibur.

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Here's the Brewster Lychee tree I bought at the Palm Beach sale yesterday. It has some ragged leaves up top but the trunk below is extra stout and looks like it belongs on a much bigger tree.

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Nice Lychee tree- good find!, I have been thinking about a lychee next.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Nice! How much do they cost at the rare fruit council, compared to a store or a tree nursery?

• swrancher
    13 years ago

This tree was off to the side with a few other ragged ones, and was priced at $20.00. Most of the other lychee trees there were either 35.00 or 65.00 dollars depending on pot size.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Yeah, I saw a brewster for 34.95 at lowe's when I went to buy the valencia pride and kent mangoes. That's a good deal you got. It might be ragged now, but with the right care, it will look awesome as soon as it begins to grow again.

• jacob13
    13 years ago

Wow, what a steal for such a nice Lychee tree. You really got a Great deal. I envy you guys out in Florida who can just walk into a Lowes and buy a Lychee tree, or go to a Rare fruit tree sale and pick up a Rare Mango, a Jaboticaba, or a nice Lychee for $20. Thanks for posting my friend and good luck!

Jacob

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets