Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harmonyp

NorCA - snowballs chance of growing a Mango or Avocado tree?

harmonyp
13 years ago

Seems like Northern California, Stockton area, might be really pushing it for either Avocado or Mango trees. But ... wondering if anyone has success with either or both in this area, and if so - which varieties?

Comments (8)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

....well ya know there Harmony, many kinds of mangos do just fine in pots. They are called "condo" mangos, but in reality, I've heard any mango can be trimmed and maintained in a nice sized container. I'm not sure about avocados, though....

The advantage of pots is, of course, it's transferability to cozier places when the real cold hits - as long as your vigilante in that way and have a place to put them during chilly nights, i would think you could do just fine

And there are some here on the forum that are doing that now....

mangobark/bite

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

harmonyp

MangoDog is right....container mangos are doable any place. I think Tammy has several mango trees in Marin CountyI wonder how they are doing?

JF

• steve_in_los_osos
    13 years ago

Yes, tammysf succeeded in fruiting a Glenn mango, grown outside, in the ground. There was a post to that effect some time back. She'd be the one to contact.

How about a Mexicola avocado for Stockton? They are supposed to be one of the most cold-hardy.

At lot of what might work will depend on siting, microclimates, etc. Remember, trees are at their most vulnerable when young and may need protection then, but when they are more mature they can withstand more abuse and a little peripheral damage and bounce back.

Seems to me both of these would appreciate a sheltered location, maybe up against a south-facing wall. Partial overhang (eaves, etc.) would be a plus in times of frost.

• m2aestro_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

Avacado trees are no big deal in much of Northern California. Choose among many hardier Mexican varieties, and graft (for pollination), if you can, from a successful tree from your neighborhood, so that if you can't have two trees that compliment for pollination, or one that is known to be self-pollinating, that you'll get fruit. For nearly my whole life we've had avocados from our own tree or from neighbors' trees. I think there was a Sunset magazine article that described good varieties. Avoid those from around Guatemala...too sensitive to frost and cold. One neighbor's tree survived below 20 degrees F.
    The trees should be hardier if planted in the ground to keep the roots warmer in prolonged cold periods when the trees get large.
    Do not trim to expose the trunks or major branches to the hot sun in the summer. Avocado trees can sunburn.
    Do lightly shade the tree from overhead summer sun until it is well established.
    As you do with pears, pick the fruit a bit before it is soft-ripe, and then ripen it in a warm spot off the tree. It will have better texture and flavor. A bit like most pears in that respect.

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

why dont you try a lychee tree? they are more cold tolerant, and they can be pruned back small after harvest and winter protected.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

MK is right. here is a brewster in Santa Ana it grows easy in Socal. I have six airlayers on this one.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    7 years ago

Here ya go---

Mangos in Northern California? YouTube.com

For some reason,I cant link it directly.

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists