gnappi_gw

Lychee anyone?

gnappi
12 years ago

Has anyone's lychee bloomed this year?

Comments (6)

• enduser
    12 years ago

I have a Mauritius, Hak Ip, Emperor, and Sweet Heart, this year absolutely nothing.

A friend of mine who lives about 10 miles south east of me, his Hak Ip fruited partially only on the south of the tree, and his Mauritius fully fruited. All the others he got nothing also.

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

I live in SoCal and my Emperor and two Kaimana's are blooming right now. I had them under artifical lighting for a month or two in the winter time which may have thrown them off. The artificial light and heat should have actually inhibited flower panicle formation but they are flowering now for some reason.

Simon

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

My one year planted Mauritius only had new growths this year...NO blooms :o(

I did see a few HUGE Brewsters 15 miles south of me are blooming.

Simon, I hope you get some fruits this year.

Enduser...I'm thinking maybe its because we had above average temps for most of this winter and maybe we didn't get enough chilling hours? Even though I had at least 3 nights of below freezing temps here, overall was a very warm winter.

• enduser
    12 years ago

Hi Pug,

I agree the no bloom issue is due to the lack of chill hours. None of my 8 persimmon trees bloomed this year they require a minimum of 200 chill hours. Only one of my peaches the 150 chill hour one bloomed, the other two that need require between 200-300 produced a few blooms but did not set any fruit.

Per the Chill Accumulation Calculator in my county we only got 176 hours.

Check out how many hours you got by entering your location below in the link below. Enter your state and county, then select the nearest monitoring station to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chill Accumulation Calculator

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Thanks enduser for that great link!! Its a cool tool. According to that I only had 75 hours of chilling hours 45 degrees and below...no wonder my Lychee tree didn't bloom. Even my Mango trees which survived very well for the very first time with only minor damage because of the above winter temps but only 2 of my mango trees out of 7 bloomed well...the rest had sparse blooms mixed with mostly new growths. I'm okay with the Lychee not blooming this year since the tree is only one year old and really should spend its time growing anyways. Its just amazing to me how little chill hours I had this season compared to last season which according to that calculator was (243) hours last year...Wow, huge difference.

Thanks again for the link...very useful!

• gnappi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I have a Mauritius, and Sweetheart, neither bloomed but the Sweetheart sent out gigantic growth flushes... Grrr