Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
just bought 6 mango

Posted by sapote usda10a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 20:59

I recently bought 6 mango trees:
From Mimosa in east Los Angeles: 7 gal Lancetilla and Valencia-Pride, $90 each
From TT: 3 gal Alphonsol, Maha-chanok, Nam doc mai, and Carrie, $50 each except Maha $70.

The lancetilla and VP bought on Feb-7 with some little buds, and now they have full open flowers. I think they are good price for their size compare to the trees from TT plus shipping.

Trees from TT were shipped on Monday 3/4 and arrived on 3/6/13. They were repotted to 5 gal with Kellogg Patio Plus. I was trying to find the best potting soil for the mango, and ended up using Kellogg after check its texture with an opened bag. I do think Kellogg is a little water retentive to my liking, and I was concerned a bit after reported the trees with the air temperature still mid 50F in March. I took them indoor at night. After a couple days the trees seemed to hold on ok, I started exposing them to half sun/shade. As you can see from photos, none have shed any leaves after one week since repotted. Beside using the standard planting technique, I also mix a tiny Miracle Grow in a cup water and used paint bush to paint the leaves. I thought this might help boost the plants during this difficult time when the root try to heal from root-ball trauma.

Mango leaves characterization from my observation:
Alphonsol: deep groove at the midrib as a rain gutter
Maha-chanok: narrow long leaves, pointed end ��" resemble the Australian Eucalyptus leaves in shape
Carrie: flat normal looking leaves, pointed end
Nam doc mai: big broad leaves with rounded end.

I will plant the bigger VP and Lancetilla in gound (paver courtyard) as it warm up in the next few weeks, and keep all TT’s mango in pot for one year before planting them in ground.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: just bought 6 mango

leaves were packed

o

shipping boxes

o

root-ball

o

left to right: Carrie, nam doc mai, Maha, Alphonsol one day after arried

This post was edited by sapote on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 21:11

o

just after brushing the leaves with fertilizer water

o

all of them after 1 week

o

Lancetilla bought on 2013-2-7 from Mimosa; leave or flower buds?

This post was edited by sapote on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 21:18

o

VP bought on 13-2-7; flower or leave buds?

o

Lancetilla on 13-3-14 with flower

o

closeup lancetilla flower

o

VP on 13-3-14 with flower

o

closeup vp flower

o

Maha after one week

o

NDM one week later

o

alphonsol 1 week later

o

carrie 1 week later

o

Homedepot Manila planted last June. The big tree trunk in the background is the 15 yrs old white sapote (grower said McDill but I think its exellent tast yellow fruit is Suebell (spell?)

This post was edited by sapote on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 21:43

o

Wow...Congrats on your new 6 different types of mango! I wish you the best with all of them...I hope they grow well for you and you get fruits in a year or two.

That manila should give you fruits probably next year...I love mangoes!!

Please keep up posted on their progress!

o

Excellent plants, Mr. Sapote - everything looks well maintained.....

myamberD

o

So it’s almost 3 weeks after I potted the four mango trees I bought from TT, and they are holding their leaves ��" no single leave had fallen. All of them show new buds and the Carrie has new flower. They all have been out in full sun since last week.

I think by painting the leaves with fertilizer water might had minimized the shock to my mango trees.

For the two bigger Valencia and Lancetilla, there are tiny fruits formed now. Yesterday I took some photos of the honey bees eating the mango flower’s nectar. I had read articles saying Honey bees are not attracted to mango flower, but in my case I see a few bees on the flowers every day over the weekend.

I watered my mango trees with fish emulsion. Have anyone tried it and what was the result?

o

Sapote,

Wow, so many beautiful and healthy looking mango trees! I think they're going to do very well for you. Also, I see you have a mango planted in the middle of your patio. I've been wanting to do the same for one of my mangos as it looks neater, but I've also heard that the roots like to have more open space to grow better, so I'm not so sure now ... Do you know anything about it, or if anybody else has more info, I'd greatly appreciate it. By the way, your patio looks gorgeous. Did you DIY it?

Thanks for sharing all the nice mix of your mangoes.

o

bananafan,

Paver or brick court yard allows water and air to get to ground and so it should be ok for mango which does not have much horizontal root as ovocado or citric trees. In cooler climate, courtyard is good for mango which requires warm soil.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/mango.html
In the link, under Location it says the mango surrounded by paving. I had seen very healthy mango grew in the middle of concrete yard. Thank you for your kind words of the patio; I and a helper laid all the pavers last year. We also did the long driveway. I think we had handled more than 5000 pieces of pavers.

Sapote
I

o

Thank you, Sapote, for the info about planting mango in the courtyard. I'm glad to hear that it is ok to do so. The spot where I'm planning to plant is also the spot where I'd like to have patio blocks on.

You did a good job at your DIY courtyard and I love your small patio blocks. Did you special order them? We did ours with the 18x18 concrete blocks. They're heavy to work with. I'm glad to hear you also have your driveway done. Paved area looks so neat and nice and most of all keep those weeds out. Before we did ours, it was a humongous jungle and we were just busy chasing weeds all summer long.

o

No special order -- just a standard concrete pavers from Angelus:
http://www.angeluspavingstones.com/collections/paving-stones/antique-cobble-i-ii/

They have dimension: 5.5" x 8.26" and 5.5"x5.5", which my courtyard used both in a mixed pattern.

o
My Carrie died

My beautiful carrie -- she was the one sent out the flower first -- had died. NMD's single elongate 4" long fruit exploded one day, just too young for edible. VP and Lancetilla each has one big fruit, and they are doing fine. Both Alphonsol and Maha did not have flower -- a good thing -- and so they are growing fast and strong. I must say this: all the trees that had spent the energy on flowering and fruiting had suffered a bit.

I accidentally knocked Carrie's baby off, and few week later she sent out a big cluster of flower. But by then she didn't have enough leaves to support, and I finally cut off the flower to save her. She never could recover from this. A month later the top leaves wilt, and by feel I could tell the bark above the graft was soft and watery. I cut off below the graft to save the root stock. few week later the tiny green bud near the soil line also wilt. So I thought it died, and pull it out thinking root rot. My surprise the roots were fine and only the truck bark had problem. I cut off the soft watery bark section to the healthy wood and replanted it back, hoping it could regrow. I would like to know what was the reason to her death (hope not).

Advice: don't do what I did -- don't let the young trees have flower and fruits.

Sapote

o

Yes, unfortunately letting a very small tree bloom and fruit takes so much energy from the plant that its always recommended to remove the blooms and or fruits till the tree is bigger stronger and a little more mature. Its a very hard lesson to learn plus human nature makes it difficult to remove and pick them off...its always exciting to "see" if you can get one to maturity at this young age :o(

Its good advise...but a hard one to follow,lol...

So sorry to hear about your Carrie, but glad to hear the rest of your mango trees are doing well...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here