Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nam Doc Mai Mango and Sweetheart Lychee

Posted by IamKriya none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 1, 14 at 21:21

Hello everyone! Just bought these 2 trees in 15 gallon pots. I live in zone 9a Florida were we can have 5-10 frost days a year and was wondering what the experienced growers have to say about planting these in the ground vs keeping them in pots. Any help would be much appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nam Doc Mai Mango and Sweetheart Lychee

If you want them to fruit extensively I would plant both in the ground and be prepared to cover them if you get temps in the 20s. Both those trees can be kept at a manageable height so it shouldn't be too difficult. The lychee will take slightly colder temperatures than the mango.

o

My friends in N. FL do both. Some of them keep them in pots, and also have some in the ground, which they have to protect of course. So why not hedge your bet and do both? That's what I probably would do......

Also, if you do plant outside, probably best in the best protected (and warm) space you can find in your yard, or even up next to your house......

MDog

o

I live in FL zone 9b...two hours south of Orlando and get about 3-7 days of freeze depending on the year. I have both inground young mango and lychee trees and also a couple of potted ones.

I have had them severely damaged one year (not a single leaf survive) lost a couple of trees in 2010 (temps dipped in the low 20's) for a few mornings in row! Most of them survived due to covering with Frost cloth/blankets and a heat source underneath.

Lychee can take colder temps than mango but not until the tree matures a little at least 4-5 years old. The older and mature the tree gets the better the cold tolerance.

Here's a few pictures of the tree damaged in one of my winters...

o

Here's the tree 2 months later...April 2009

o

This is the same tree taken a few days go...you can plant them in the ground just be sure to add some heat source and cover the plant all the way down to the ground...think "green house" affect..

o

One of my winter protection...

o

Iam, have you decided whether you're going to leave your mango trees in the pot or plant them? Do you have pictures of your trees?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here