Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help needed with Mango tree disease

Posted by KKR1 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 19, 13 at 21:30

Hi,

I’m a new gardener in Ft. Lauderdale, FL (zone 10b), and am not having any luck with my Mango tree. I bought it from a nursery five months ago and was told to hold off giving it fertilizer till the spring. However, this week I took a close look at the leaves and they seem to have some type of bug eating them. We’re having a Rugose spiraling whitefly problem and it’s really beating up my banana trees, but the Mango tree leaves have strange spots on the top and blisters on the bottom (See pics), which don’t look anything like the white fly problems on the banana leaves.

Can anyone tell me what kind of bug/disease is on the leaves?

I've sprayed the leaves with Neem once, which didn't do anything, but I've read that I should spray every 7-10 days for it to be effective. Is it safe?

Also, is there a webpage for tropical fruit diseases for newbies anywhere?

Thanks

Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help needed with Mango tree disease

picture in lower left, looks like scale (your "blisters"), and maybe some spiraling whitefly activity.

DM

Here is a link that might be useful: citrus scale

o

Yup, it looks like scale to me too...you need to treat with some insecticide maybe some soap and water or a light treatment of horticultural oil (HD or Lowe's)...but please be careful when you treat it...do it after sunset or sundown (not in direct sun) or you will sunburn the leaves. Keep in the shade for a day or two after treating...

Neem is good but its very slow to work...I've actually used soap and water and manually removed them with a soft sponge..its tedious work and works if the tree is small and you have the time and energy to do it,lol...

Good luck!!

o

• Posted by KKR1 none (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 20, 13 at 22:38

Thanks for info and advice dangermouse01 and puglvr1.The tree is n my yard so it gets full sun. I'll spray the whole tree (top and bottom of the leaves) in the later afternoon so that it won't get any sun for 12+ hours

Keith

o

If your tree is still small (and I am guessing it is), I would start by just wiping off as much of the scale from each leaf with a damp rag as puglvr1 mentioned. You could even use the soap & water or horticultural oil to dampen the rag, then you wouldn't have to spray. Dead scale doesn't necessarily fall off so by wiping them all off and starting with a "clean slate" you have a better visual of any new scale forming later.

DM

o

• Posted by KKR1 10b (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 8:58

Thanks DM. I'll get to work this weekend. Any idea what the small white spots on the top of the leaf are? I've scratched some of them off with my nail.

o

My guess is the white stuff might be egg sacs?? You'll have to check them weekly and spray them with soap/water or treat it according to directions on the insecticide if you decide to use it, again making sure its not treated in the sun/heat of the day...

"Mango Scale pdf"

o

• Posted by KKR1 none (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 20:40

Thanks Puglvr1,

I carefully cleaned every leaf and now spray it biweekly with insecticidal soap and the leaves are bug-free.

Keith

o

You're welcome and best of luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here