Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irun5k_gw

Carrie pics

irun5k
12 years ago

Here are a couple of pics of my Carrie mango that I put in the ground July 2011. It set a dozen or so fruit, perhaps just the right amount since the tree is still small yet large enough to sustain a few fruit?

The very last pic is the tree when I bought it. As you can see it had a couple of nice growth flushes last year after planting.

I hope the mild winter was good to your mangos and other tropical fruit :)

{{gwi:1310832}}

Comments (9)

• houstontexas123
    12 years ago

looks good

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Absoulutely gorgeous and happy tree, irun!

And for sure you could easily let it set 6 fruit or so....
    I would.......

Please follow up with pics of your taste test>>>>>

mangoperro

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks guys. BTW, it was air layered.... I haven't found a lot of details about how this will affect the tree vs. if it were grafted. I know it won't have a tap root but overall I like the structure of the tree.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

This certainly is a nice 'Carrie'. I have one that I bought from Plantogram last year. I almost lost it when I didn't realize it was wanting more water than what I was giving it. Now it is coming back with a vengeance and it has 7 inflos that have formed.

My tree is small, and I know it will need to be repotted. I live in zone 6 so it will have to stay potted. If I do get fruits to hold, I am hoping that I can get some tips from you guys on when to pick the fruits. Knowing that if I can get a fruit to hold, it will probobly only be 1 or 2, I want to try to pick it at the right time, so I can avoid any unpleasant after taste.

thanks,
    Andrew

• charleslou23
    12 years ago

how often you're watering your carrie now andrew?

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Nice tree irun5k!! Please post how your fruits are progressing and yes please let us know how you like the taste of Carrie, I'm one of the rare ones that don't like the flavor of Carrie. I've only had it a few times but didn't care for it. Maybe, I had it when it past its prime? Good luck with your Carrie.

Andrew, please keep us posted on your inflos as well.

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, I am amazed at how quickly the fruit grow but I guess it shouldn't be surprising since they set fruit in March and are ready for harvest over the summer.

The fruit are approaching the size of ping pong balls now and the tree is beginning a massive growth flush. I pleasantly surprised with how well this tree has done in less than a year. I haven't done anything "magical" to it (and perhaps that is part of the advantage?) I've just fertilized twice... it gets full, direct sun all day so that probably helps too.

I have had a Carrie a couple times from different sources. My only real complaint is that I'd prefer the flesh to be a little bit firmer. I know many have commented on a turpentine/herbal taste- most claim this is related to how ripe it is. I've actually detected more of a coconut taste, believe it or not.

Unfortunately I developed an allergy to mangoes a couple years ago. My entire face dries out and gets scratchy and this is just from eating them- if I handle them it is worse. But I still eat them anyway! Is that love or what :)

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

I water my 'Carrie' about every 3 days right now. I soak it until water runs ouf of the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot.

Right now my inflos are opening, and I am pleased to say that I have many more female flowers than I did the first time it bloomed when it arrived from Plantogram. Keeping my fingers crossed!

Andrew

• irun5k
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Andrew, how is your Carrie doing? Has it set fruit yet?

Unfortunately, mine dropped all the fruit except for 4. I am not too worried though since this is the first year in the ground. I did see some birds that looked suspicious, I'm not sure if they are partially to blame. At least one fallen fruit did seem to have a hole in it.

It is putting out some massive new growth, if it has only one more growth flush this year then my prospects might be much better next year.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio