Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kngskid

I thought all mangoes were sweet...

kngskid
13 years ago

I was at whole foods this weekend and bought a box full of mangoes that were labeled champagne mango but the box says ataulfo either way these mangoes are terrible. They are very sour, no sweetness to be found.... NONE. So now I'm looking for some assurance concerning the mango trees that I have purchased

Lancetilla, Graham, Mallika, Carrie, and Cushman.....Will I get sweet mangoes and is there something I should know to avoid having mangoes that taste like these Champagne/Ataulfo mangoes that I bought?

Thank you in advance

Comments (9)

• jsvand5
    13 years ago

If you get good ataulfo's they are probably the best that can be commonly purchased. In my experience the ones from south america suck and the ones from mexico are pretty good.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Ataulfo/Champagne mangos are very good ripe, there are inferior ones on the market sometimes though out of season

none of the varieties you have listed are even close to Ataulfo, you do not have an East Asian variety.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Many Ataulfos suffer from a problem that afflicts most commercially grown mangoes in Latin America....they are picked far too green.

• zands
    13 years ago

You got a batch of Ataulfos picked too unripe for them to ever mature. Many people here have eaten good ones from the store.

All mangoes are sweet when they ripen in your backyard. You are North of the mango growing zone but should get good results down the line. You have the warmth and sunlight to produce mangoes....just have to wheel them inside when it gets cold

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

kngskid

Sorry that you are having a hard time finding a sweet ataulfo in Georgia. we have them by the truck loads and most of the ones from MEXICO are sweet and delicious. The Manila and Kent's (also from Mexico late summer) are another great store bought varieties that we have in California. The Keitts are good but the tent to be expensive.

JF

• kngskid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Zand and JF. I know you guys here are passionate about your mangoes and would offer a suitable explanation as to why mine tasted so bad.

I have had grocery store mangoes only but they've never tasted this bad so now I am even more anxious to having a tree-ripened mango from my backyard.

Everyone, thank you for your time and have a great day!

• murahilin
    13 years ago

Kngskid,
    How big are your trees? How well did they survive the winter indoors/in greenhouse in GA? Did they flower this year?

• kngskid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Murahilin, The trees did exceptionally well this winter being their first winter outside of Florida but none of them have flowered yet. Mallika put out a lot of very large leaves, much larger than the leaves that are currently on the tree. The Lancetilla put out many new leaves also but very small looking leaves. Graham and Cushman were very large trees when I received them, both are about six feet tall and have very thick trunks and they both have swollen "branch-end" buds (I think I made up that term but I bet you know what I'm talking about) so the kids and I are hoping and apraying that we will get to taste our very first tree ripened mango from our own backyard very soon.

Thank you for asking, I am honored to be among pros.

• kngskid
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Carrie hasn't done anything but "she" looks very nice. I can see some little knob thingies but that's it.

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets