Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nursejolly

Mango (okrung, nam doc mai, keo savoy, pim san) growing tips

nursejolly
12 years ago

Hello everyone! My name is Jessica. I'm new to the forum and to planting/growing trees. I live in Southern California and I want to grow mango trees! I've been researching alot and been reading all the mango posts and there is some really educated people here!

I'm planning to order some mango trees from (a nursery in Florida but they won't let me type the name "TT") bc it seems to be the only place with the varieties I like. I'm interested in a nam doc mai, okrung, keo savoy, and pim san mun. My mom is from Thailand and she is ecstatic that we will hopefully get these trees. She use to have a "mango farm" in Thailand so she knows about mangos but she doesn't know about growing them in Southern California.

I know it will take alot of education but I'm willing to learn. I especially want to know about the whole "shock" factor when planting the tree and pruning. Any tips would be appreciated. Hope to hear from all you mango experts and hopefully I too will have beautiful pictures to post one day!

Comments (15)

• gtw7983
    12 years ago

Hey Jessica,
    Welcome to the fruit addicts' world. This forum is not visited by most of posters anymore because everybody is going to tropicalfruitforum dot com. I believe you could get more advice over there.

Mike

• gtw7983
    12 years ago

Also Jessica, as you have found out at another post, TT is not a good place to mail order mango trees. I have a good source at FL, it is a nursery called Tropic Plants, the owner Theresa's email is trplants@msn.com. I got several shipped to me from her recently at pretty reasonable prices; and I am happy with most of them. You might wanna give her a try.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

welcome Jessica - and as gtw said, that "other" forum is where all the smarty pants have gone! (and that Tropic Plants place a great source for mangos, as gtw also said)

:)

Where in SoCal are you? Don't forget, the biggest danger to mangos is frost (in my opinion) so depending on where you live, that might be some work you have to perform in the winter - covering with frost cloth or some cover and watching those temperatures.....

Don't forget Mimosa Nursery in East L.A. - call them ahead of time to find out when their 1/2 OFF sale is and ask them for varieties - I've seen the Nam Doc Mai there but none of the others you mention, but it doesn't hurt to ask...

Success I wish you and all of us!!!!!!!!!!!

MangoWoofie

• cuban007
    12 years ago

Jessica I have ordered plants from both places and I have no complaints. TT's shipping is much less. I bought a beautiful Coconut Cream and a Black Sapote from TT...no complaints.

• nursejolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the helpful information everyone!
    GTW- just joined that forum! I feel like I'm a crazy mango
    Addict. It's all I think about now
    Mangodog- I'm in Glendale, CA. I called mimosa and they only have a 20 gallon for $325! I found a NDM in Orange for $90 in a 3 gallon. I know I'm paying too much but like an addict I want it now!! BTW, I've read alot of your posts on the other forums and they are really informative. :) I'm probably going to order 3-4 other Thai varieties soon. So excited. Any tips when planting them into the ground? Do you do
    It right away when you get the trees? And thanks for the winter tip...I know I'll have lots of work to do. :)

• charleslou23
    11 years ago

what's TT stand for?? Why is it forbidden to say their entire name?

do tropic plants have a website?

• gtw7983
    11 years ago

Tropic plants don't have a website, you have to call in to order.
    Hey,nursejolly, I say the NDM in Flowedale nursery the other day. Trust me, you don't wanna buy that for $90. You can get one mailed from FL for around $70 with freight; and the tree will be much bigger, healthier and nice looking. The $90 twig grown by La Verne nursery is absolutely not worth the money.

• nursejolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Damn I wish I read your post before I bought the tree! I thought it didn't look great but I was so excited to get the NDM that I bought it anyways. I'm a mango rookie. =( Well hopefully I can beef it up. Any tips when planting them in the ground? This will be my first mango tree. I also ordered 3 other varieties from TT because noone else had the varieties I wanted. I know I'm taking a chance...but we'll see.

• BestDay23
    11 years ago

Please let us know how the trees from TT do. Photos would be great.

Bill

• nursejolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok Bill! Post yours too! Mine should be arriving in 2 weeks. Are you going to keep them in the pots or plant them in the ground right away?

• BestDay23
    11 years ago

Most of them are going to stay in pots until I can taste the fruit. Some I will put in the ground after they get over the shock of shipping.

Bill

• nursejolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello. So here is a picture when I first pulled them out of the box. Not a great picture but at least one. I will post more later. 1. Okrung 2. Pim sen Mun ( over 5 ft tall!) 3. Keo Savoy

I potted them all in 5 gallon pots and have them
    In the shade until they get over their shock. I spritzed their leaves and watered them a little. I'm hoping to plant them in the ground soon. Please don't die on me! LOL!
    [IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/nursejolly/34e13da4.jpg[/IMG]

• nursejolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

[IMG]http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/nursejolly/34e13da4.jpg[/IMG]

Don't know why this isn't working. It worked on the tropical fruit forum. Same image. ????

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Jessica - there are some other choices from photobucket if you hold the cursor on the picture in your album you want and click ENTER on the HTML code choice (3rd one down) it will flash "copied" and then you just come back to the message here and paste (or push Control and V at the same time)....mangowoofie

Like this.....

• nursejolly
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok it works! Yay! Thanks Mangodog! Wow thats a beautiful tree you have. How old is that tree?