Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
desimango

Desimango's Mango Trees

desimango
13 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I have attached pictures of our mango collection and would like to get feedback from all the experienced mangoers.

All the trees have curled leaves with the Glenn being the worse of them. I'll be picking up some fish emulsion this week and starting that out soon.

The Glenn tree is growing straight up and has a few dying leaves on the bottom portion that barely made it during shipment. I wonder if I should cut those leaves? Also, I don't want this tree to be a dwarf but would like to encourage side branches. The Glenn also has burnt leaf tips and I'm wondering if I should cut the tip off like I saw in another thread or just leave it.

I appreciate any help.

Glenn Mango

{{gwi:1311052}}

Mallika Mango - Shortest of all of them but grew several side shoots towards the end of last summer.

{{gwi:1311053}}

Manila Mango - Picked up this champ on the cheap at a local HD. Seems to be doing well with several shoots.

{{gwi:1311054}}

Glenn mango - Leaf tip burns

{{gwi:1311055}}

Glenn Mango - Lower portion that was damaged a little during shipment.

{{gwi:1311056}}

Cheers,

Comments (28)

• swrancher
    13 years ago

The trees all look fine. I dont think you have anything to worry about on the Glenn.

• squam256
    13 years ago

Trees look good. If you want to promote branching with the Glenn just prune off the terminal bud.

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

They look fine, if you are going to keep them potted, look up "Pugging" your tree to keep them short and stout.

congrats they look like great trees,
    -Ethan

• desimango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the help. Anyone know how long it takes for a tree to become pot bound? I plan on moving in another 1-2 years and all the trees will get a permanent home. I'm hoping I can leave them in pots until then.

Cheers,
    Desimango

• mangodog
    13 years ago

I'm singin' with the choir Desi - they look fine - mangos seem to always like to get little burn spots here and there. The time to worry is when leaves start falling off in numbers, cuz they really are evergreen in every sense of the word.

I'm not a pot culture guy and there is definitly a science to it as more can go wrong, but why not go into the archives here and see what soil discussions have been had for potted mangos....these guys really have found some good soil mixes that seem to work wonderfully....

Good luck.....mangorescuehound

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

Desi,

those mangos look great! If you plan on growing them from containers I would go with Laguna Nursery tropical soil. Gary has got it down to a science! I'm growing my Mallika with his mix.

JF

• mullenium
    13 years ago

I'm planning on potting my Pickering tomorrow with a mixture of compost, peat moss, sand, shredded mulch, and perlite

• mullenium
    13 years ago

And yeah you have a nice collection started desi, lookin good!

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

I would go with pumice instead of perlite.....and leave the shredded mulch out.

JF

• mullenium
    13 years ago

Why leave out the mulch? It's cedar.. U thinkitll rot over time?

• mullenium
    13 years ago

Why leave out the mulch? It's cedar.. U thinkitll rot over time?

• desimango
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for the advice, I really appreciate the help as it eases some of my worrying for the trees.

Mangodog, I searched around a little already but only found pieces of information regarding pot culture. I should be fine for another year but I'd be pushing it much longer than that.

Wouldn't you know last night I had a dream that I went to transfer one of the mango trees from its pot and when I went to grab it from underneath, it appeared like a snake coil and I dropped it in fear - lol. Maybe the universe is sending a message or perhaps just a little subconscious worrying. I woke up thinking "darn, I gotta take it easy with this stuff".

Jfernandez and Mullenium: I used a mixture of peat moss, perlite, generic compost and sand for my mixture. I only fertilized very lightly (salt shaker style) during summer months and this year I'm gonna turn it up a notch with Neptune's fish fertilizer. I also use a foliar spray nutrient mixture.

Thanks for the Laguna's soil tip.

Cheers,
    Desimango

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

mullenium

exactly, the wood will soak up the water and saturate and rot out your roots.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...bad dream Dino, Desi and Billy mangoman.....nothin' worse that shattering the root ball....although, I'm guessing when it comes time to transplant, they'll be rather rood bound so you shouldn't have any issues with a big break up.....

hey - why not check and see if any roots are protruding from the drainage hole(s) in the bottom before you transplant? If there are none, then maybe you should wait to do it when there are?????

(perhaps a little cough of wisdom....?)

Professor Mango Lassie

• desimango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just picked this sole Glenn survivor yesterday. It smells great and we're giving it another day or indoor ripening before cutting it open. It's not very large but a good size for the small tree size. I was considering not to let any of the fruit go all the way but figured what the heck. I needed some proof to show all the more wiser farmer naysayers that it is possible.

• zands
    12 years ago

MDman
    Dino, Desi and Billy- unfortunately I am old enough to remember. Anyways the Dino in that was Dean Martin's son who crashed his F-4 Phantom into a California mountain. This shattered Dean Martin who was despondent about this all his life and eventually drank himself to death partly over this. Dean was always a better singer than Frank Sinatra. He came from Steubenville Ohio near Weirton WV where they used to make real things such as steel

Dean lived out in Palm Springs 1123 Via Monte Vista

Here is a link that might be useful: Palm Springs 1123 Via Monte Vista

• esco_socal
    12 years ago

very nice job, Desi. Looking forward to see how this mango pans out in the taste dept. Used to have some family members in SJ but they've migrated south to Salinas...

Tim

• nullzero
    12 years ago

mullenium,

I mix my own container mix for all my fruit trees. Its 5 parts pine bark mulch, 1 part perlite, 1 part peatmoss, with a pinch to a few spoon fulls of lime (depending on amount made).

I got this basic mix idea from the container forums. Seems to keep all my trees happy, no problems with drainage. I recommend you age the pine bark mulch slightly, also make sure to get the smaller bark nuggets.

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Congratulations Desi,

Now comes the real test, put it in the ground.

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Looks delish, Desi.....let us know how it tastes!

And Zands - yes I knew the story of the singing trio and who's offspring they were - think they might have had one semi-hit...oh....in fact....here it is:

http://youtu.be/rrJJYug1fSg

DocMango

• desimango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Here's the chopped NorCal Glenn. The naysayers had taken a knife to it before I got home so I didn't get good pics. Needless to say, that won't be happening again. It had a sweet taste with hints of coconut, fiberless.

• zands
    12 years ago

Desi---
    'Mazing how inverted your California mango harvest is (can be)compared to Florida. I ate first Glenn off my tree 5/23/2011

MangoDog--- That clip is variations #99 on "Hang on Sloopy"

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Wow zands and MangDog - rock and roll sure has changed a Lot in the past 40 years. They sure don't wear suit and tie anymore!

Jeff

• zands
    12 years ago

Who needs a suit and tie when you have tattoos all over and piercings and earrings for your fans to admire

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

Desi-

Who are all these naysayers???I reread this post and everyone is cheering you on! Congratulations on your Glenn again, it looks delicious!

JF

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Nice!

Zands- How did your glenn mango taste?

• zands
    12 years ago

TG89---

Glen--
    Good but a bit watery, not so sweet, but as first mangoes of the season who cares. Some Glenns a few weeks later were better. My fruit diary says Jeff H gave me a few Glens at the exact same time so that is two Glenn trees representing on May 23 of 2011. Lychees were also coming in exactly then. I have no lychee tree but got from friend's trees

I keep an online mango/fruit log plus a fertilization log so I don't over fertilize and harm a tree

• desimango
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jfernandez,

The naysayers are my father and big time farmer uncle from Yuba City (Marysville) that said they wouldn't grow and that I'm wasting my time...

Everyone on the board has been great and it's a pleasure reading around.