Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
longanluva

longan before after pic

longanluva
12 years ago

Hello everybody, I finally learned how to post pictures. Been wanting to share these pics.

This was planted 4/14/09 Unknown variety

Updated picture 4/14/11

This tree is in front yard, planted 03/2010 Airlayered this from my friend. Also unknown variety.

Comments (11)

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

You're doing a very nice job with your longans. Where are you growing them? Are the trees from where these layers were taken local to you or were they imported from somewhere else?

Harry

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow, it has put out some nice growth.

good luck,
    -Ethan

• longanluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Harry Thanks for your response. My Longans are grown in Southern California that gets almost full sun. The tree that's in my back yard was purchased at a local nursery near my house. I was told that its from Thailand. As for the airlayered one in front of the house, My friend bought his tree ten years ago from mimosa nursery in LA. I still can't tell the difference in varieties yet.

@Ethan, the first year i gave a little too much fish fertilizer. It continued growing while fruiting at the same time. So the fruit looking like its growing in the middle of the branch instead of the top. This is why my tree is so tall with weak branches.Thanks for the luck.

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Did you pour that concrete yourself? Did you leave a spot just for a tree? I'd love to concrete my whole yard and just leave spots for trees! I hate mowing.

nice trees.

• longanluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hello franktank232, I hired someone to do the concrete for me. I regreat making the hole so small. So if you concrete your yard, make sure theres plenty of space to add fertilzer. Have a nice day.

• kobe24
    12 years ago

Those are some amazing trees, i recently bought a bien Kiew Longan, any advice on planting it, and i heard they dont need much wind protection either?

• longanluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Kobe24,
    A couple months ago, I bought a small biew kiew airlayer too. I'm waiting for Spring time to plant this one together with the tree in the front yard. After transplant, make sure water regularly for roots to get established. Then about a month later I"ll start to give it a little fish fertilizer once a month until cold season. Don't need any wind protection. Just lots of sun. Good luck with your tree.

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

longunluva- i expect royalties

• kobe24
    12 years ago

Thanks loganluva, i have a lychee tree too and it gets damaged by the heavy santa ana winds so i was thinking longans whould also.
    Another question i heard sandy loam soil is the best for longans, as long as the soil has good organic things in it.
    What type of soil did you plant your longan trees in, have you ever done any tests on the soil like pH etc?

• behlgarden
    12 years ago

I also have a longan tree in my yard that is thriving and got no effect from winds or frost. on the other hand, my sweetheart newly planted tree (3 months ago) is still in shock, I am seeing a lot of new buds from main branches but no positive burst of growth yet. I am in Riverside County, Corona

• longanluva
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Lycheeluva-expect royalties? Ha ha! That was joke right? I started out as Longanluva. Now Im turning into a Lycheeluva and a Mangoluva.

@Kobe24-I didn't test or do anything to the soil. Just added a thick layer of mulch and some grass clippings. I did buried a lot of fish guts around the tree.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County