Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestday23

Nedd help choosing a Mango Tree.

BestDay23
11 years ago

Hi all, I'm new to the forum and also very new to gardening. I need help choosing a Mango tree for my backyard. I have a nice south facing wall where I would like to put the tree. I am looking for a fast growing Mango that when mature will be about 20-25 foot diameter and a good shade tree. I would obviously like to have great tasting fruit and hopefully a long fruit season.

I was thinking Valencia Pride but I'm not sure how big they get in Southern California. I'm in Long Beach. Or I was considering Jakarta (nice long fruit season) but I don't know how good the fruit is how large it will get.

Any info will be appreciated.

Bill

Comments (13)

• puglvr1
    11 years ago

Hi Bill! There's SO many different varieties of great Mangoes out there its hard to suggest just a couple. Below is a link to Pine Island Nursery Mango Viewer. Hopefully, you'll find something on there that sounds like something you will enjoy. Since taste is subjective...its so hard to suggest something that I love that you may not like as much. For what its worth, I grow Glenn, Cogshall, Keitt. I also have a very small Lancetilla (hasn't fruited yet). I've also tasted Kent one of my favorites.

Good luck finding one.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pine Island Nursery Mango Viewer

• tropicdude
    11 years ago

Valencia Pride is a vigorous grower with good mangoes, and doesn't have much problem with disease. Keitt is is very disease resistant, and productive, but it has a spreading nature and need more taking care of. Some of the newer varieties that are in Vogue, Like Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream, and Maha Chanok ( actually not that new but gaining popularity ) are all top tier when it comes to flavor, but not many mature trees around to really know how big they get.

Valencia pride will grow very fast, not the kind of tree for limited spaces. but any non-dwarf type Mango tree will get big eventually.

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the info guys. Yes taste is subjective but unfortunately I don't have access to try the different varieties around here until they are in season and I can buy them at farmers markets. Until then all I know is I like the ones they sell in the stores here in Southern California.

Does anyone know how large a Valencia Pride will get in Southern California? I saw a picture of one in Florida that was about 30' diameter and about 40' tall. Hopefully in Southern California that tree would be 20' by 30'?

Any other Mangos come to mind with a long fruiting season for California?

Bill

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've been reading up and Edward sounds like it would meet my needs. Does anyone have any input on growing Edward mangos in Southern California? From what I have read they are vigorous, large trees, with excellent fruit and a long fruit season. Will they grow about as fast as a Valencia Pride?

• mangodog
    11 years ago

Best Day - mangodog here - Palm Springs, CA.....

Edward is known as a shy bearer. Delicious mango, but you won't get the production you might want. Keitt is a bit of a straggly mango tree, but the fruit holds on the tree for a long time. I think 4 months would not be an exageration....

That being said, by far my fastest growing mango is the Alphonso, an Indian mango I believe...haven't tasted it yet, but it has won the growth contest in my yard. It's set a ton if little babies so far....we'll see how it goes.

My Mahachinok, also, though only put in the ground in November had 2 growth flushes before the cold set in, and the flushes where nice and long. I think that is going to be a fast growing tree, and that one has an excellent tasting reputation.....but we'll see.

As to how high mangos will get in SoCal - I've seen pics of them 30 ft high and wide....JF who comes here occasionally has some pics of stuff in his La Habra neighborhood and surrounding area that show that.....

Oh, one more...my HADEN has grown stout and quickly. Not the most fiber free (I'm told) or greatest tasting but pretty darn good....

I remember when i started picking mangos for my yard a couple years ago.....it will eventually be a calculated guess on your part....and then comes the luck....

Cheers, new mango man!!!!!!!

mangodawg

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mangodog, thanks for the info. I've heard that the Edward is a stingy tree. But I think once it gets big enough it will give plenty of fruit for a family of four. Its hard to imagine any 20x20 tree no giving much fruit.

How did your Mangos fair this years cold? It was pretty cold here in Long Beach. I moved into my house last year and I swear it gets 5 degrees colder then my old house. It was 29 degrees a couple of nights. How cold did Palm Springs get and did you have to protect your trees at all?

One last question where did you buy your trees?

Thanks for the info.

Bill

• mangodog
    11 years ago

oh....here you are again!

Agree on Edward - when it does get up there in height, I'd think you'd get at least a couple dozen fruit, maybe more, to satisfy the cravings (for awhile...lol....)

My Mangos got covered a few times in December - we had 2 early frosts in that month, and everything was covered with "frost cloth" and no supplemental heat. My papayas got hit, but no mangos were damaged...but January and February were very kind this year, as you probably know...so we got lucky....

MDog

• mango908
    11 years ago

Plant O Gram sells nice mangoe trees. I just order an alphonso. My valencia pride , six feet tall is flowering after one year.

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Where did you get your Valencia Pride? Everywhere I read says they are vigorous and great tasting so I think that is what I will get. Do you think rootstock matters? I could get a La Verne VP with Manilla rootstock or a Florida one with turpentine rootstock. I'm not sure if it really is that important.

Bill

• jfernandez
    11 years ago

Hi BestDay23

As MangoDog said I have lots of pics in the archives of large seedlings and grafted mango trees in Socal. Regarding VP, it's a perfect tree for our area. It will probably never reach 20' in LB. Hayden, Glenn, Keitt and Nam doc Mai are very good varieties also. There is a poster from Carson that has some of these varieties and more and has had success.

JF

• BestDay23
    Original Author
    11 years ago

How would I go about finding these pictures? I have just started using this forum and was unable to find any archives.

Thanks
    Bill

• mango908
    11 years ago

Best

Just enter e.g carson mango, mango grafting into the search section on the GardenWeb site to find archives. Also if you want to have fun growing seedling, the Ataulfo mangoes germinate at a great success rate and the tree grows very fast. I have about twelve beauties that just started to grow into little trees. They a polyembryonic, so they come true to type. I ordered a Valencia pride from Plant O gram last year, and this year it is fruiting. I dont know the rootstock. You can ask Mickey. All the information is on line. Have fun.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?