Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Rambutan, Posh-Te, Pedalai, & Ross Sapote

Posted by jacob13 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 29, 11 at 2:30

Hello Friends,

Here are some pictures of some new Fruit Trees that just arrived. I got them from Steve Starnes and the Hawaiian Tropical Fruit Nursery LLC. They were all about $20 each and were a good value I thought. He shipped on Tuesday and they arrived early Thursday, so the shipping was fast and very secure....Great job of packaging. Some of you might know Steve from Pacific Tropical Gardens that he used to own and operate. So here they are.

Sibibat Rambutan Tree - About 3.5' Feet Tall

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Posh-Te (Annona Scleroderma) - About 2'-3' Feet Tall

Photobucket

Photobucket

Pedalai - About 2'-3' Feet Tall

Photobucket

"Ross" Sapote - About 2'-3' Feet Tall

Photobucket

Photobucket

The rest of my stuff has been doing really well as the Weather has started to warm. Growth Flushes, flowers, and immature fruit everywhere. I will update with some new pics very soon.

Thanks,

Jacob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Rambutan, Posh-Te, Pedalai, & Ross Sapote

Nice. Rather on the thin and tall side though. Is th rambutan grafted or airlayered? If airlayered, I hope they did a better job removing the wrapping than another HI nursery did!!

One of the things I've noticed with airlayered rambutan is the tendency to push new growth from the top, sacrificing growth lower down. This is called "apical dominance". Growth from lateral buds is suppressed and those that do branch out usually end up being lost down the road. So you have a plant that grows up and up and up with no branches. Really sucks. I've seen a few in PR like this. So keep an eye on the growth pattern.

Two ways to interrupt this: One is to remove the apical bud. The other is to either lay the plant on its side or to bend the plant over...which can cause a seriously wierd looking plant!

o

Good prices, for sure......nice addditions. Best of luck with them. You have one of the most eclectic collections anywhere, that's for sure. Thanks for posting!

harry

o

Are they all seedlings?

o

Nice additions Jacob,
you're not going to be able to tell your place from one in HI pretty soon. Poshte and pedalai are definitely on my radar, I've already killed plenty of seeds, I might have to pick up a couple plants this summer myself.

cheers,
-Ethan

o

Thought they only shipped seeds...
They're very nice seedlings though.

:)

o

Hello Friends,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, they are all seedlings, but right aroudn $20 a piece, I thought they were a good deal. Plus the Pedalai and Ross Sapote should be okay as seedlings if they survive.

Jacob

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here