Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

Disappointing Persimmon

gnappi
13 years ago

I put a 7 gal ~6' tall "Winterset" persimmon in the ground a couple of months ago and it took off blooming a month later like it was destined to end a world wide persimmon shortage :-)

This weekend most of the young buds / fruit fell off. The tree gets water every couple of days, and was only fertilized once so I don't think that's a problem but I'd like to find out what I may have done wrong before I lose another crop.

TIA for any advice.

Gary

Comments (9)

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

That's normal. It will make a bunch of flowers but most will fall, because the tree knows it's not big enough to hold that kind of crop. You might get a persimmon or two this year if you're lucky.

Jeff

• agility_mom
    13 years ago

Watering it every couple of days sounds like a lot. I have several new fruit trees in the ground and I water 2X a week on average.

• adiel
    13 years ago

Gary, regarding the persimmon:

- Where do you live?
    - Did you buy it within 50 miles of where you live?

Adiel

• Kevin Reilly
    13 years ago

6' tall in container, then huge blooms one month later, it can't possibly have the root system to support the fruit so that is probably why they fell off (or what jeff h said)

• gnappi
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The tree was bought well within 50 miles of me (I'm in North West Broward county S.E Florida) but Jeff's reply sounds logical.

When I bought the tree I told the guy it was going into sandy soil and he advised a watering every two to 3 days for a month or so after removing it from the pot. I guess I should scale that back to twice a week or less.

Thanks,

Gary

• adiel
    13 years ago

Gary, Jeff is correct. The tree will drop the fruit that it cannot grow. The reason I asked you where did you buy the tree has to do with the rootstock. For persimmons, the rootstock affects the chill hours required to fruit. The rootstock commonly used for persimmons is Diospyros virginiana (American persimmon). Each American persimmon is adapted to where it is natively growing. Depending on where you bought the tree, it will have the "local" American persimmon rootstock. If you bought it from a local nursery then you are o.k. (That is assuming they did not purchase the American persimmon seeds from up north). If you bought it for example, from North Carolina, the rootstock will not be suitable for South Florida, since it will require more chill hours to fruit. Even if it did fruit this year, it could have received the chill hours when it was up North. In any case, I think you do not have this problem but wanted to mention it for others since you bought your tree locally.

Adiel

• psrjlr_AOL_com
    12 years ago

I planted 3 winterset persimmons in northern NJ that have grown very nicely. However, they have never produced flowers or fruit after 4 years. I have pruned them over the years. One has a trunk about 7 inches in diameter and is 10 feet tall. Does anyone have suggestions?

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

i have a Fuyu persimmon being trained in a large container, hope it fruits one day.

FYI photobucket has free unlimited storage now, post away Harry

• kngskid
    12 years ago

I use miracle gro for tomato plants in addition to a slow release fertilizer. I watered with two tsp of MG/one gallon of water about every fourteen days or so until the trees began to flower. The trees that are old enough to flower and fruit have done so and this worked well for all six of my potted persimmons. So I would suggest adding something like MG to your regimen somehow.