Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ronald123_gw

small update from Mandeville Jamaica

ronald123
11 years ago

Hello everyone it's been a long time since I have posted. Not much happening right now, waiting on lychees next month and atemoyas, santol and longan are in bloom.

Anyway here are a few pictures--

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kanku123/7090156745/sizes/c/in/photostream/

last two hasyas of the season

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kanku123/7090154843/sizes/l/in/photostream/

white sapote

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kanku123/6944084312/sizes/l/in/photostream/

young jaboticabas developing

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kanku123/7090150069/sizes/l/in/photostream/

b-10 carambola

Comments (24)

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

sorry as i said its been a while =, here are pics=

b-10 carambola

immature jaboticas

white sapote

last of the hasyas

• FruitCally
    11 years ago

Great pics, Ronald123! Thank you for sharing them.

By the way, how old is your jaboticaba tree? It's so nice to have such great weather for growing so many different tropical fruit trees!

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The jaboticaba trees (3) are between 12 and 14 years old (I think) and about 12 feet tall.

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A few more

santol in full bloom

diamond river longan

canistel seedling

• FruitCally
    11 years ago

Gorgeous healthy trees!

How closely do you space the (3) jaboticaba trees? :-)

How is the taste of the santol fruit?

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The jabos are about 13 feet apart and almost touching, there was a time when they looked miles apart.

There is supposed to be two strainns of santol, one a red leafed variety like mine that is supposed to be tart , and another a yellow leafed one that is supposed to be sweeter. (I am told)

If you like tamarind I guess you could handle the santol, a pleasent taste I think though.
    Here are a few pictures from previous crops--

• johnb51
    11 years ago

Do white sapote trees always get that big?

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I think they eventually do John. That one is over 15 years old

• manfromyard
    11 years ago

Ronald,

My family is from Manchester, small world. Is there a large market for some of these fruits? Growing up, I don't rememebr ever eating Jabotica or Santol. Do you carry these to market or are they for your personal consumption?

• simon_grow
    11 years ago

Awesome update Ronald! I love all your mature fruiting trees. What do you think about the quality of the Diamond River Longan? I see your are in bloom right now but did you get to try any in previous years? Some websites say the qualtity of DR is not so good but a few good friends of mine went to Florida and tried some and said the fruit from mature trees was really good quality. They are also supposed to be a larger fruit compared to Kohala.
    Simon

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Manfromyard, yes small world. All of these are very rare here and there are not many people who know of them. This year for the first time we have sold some jaboticaba and white sapote, before it was just for home and friends.

The main fruits that we do sell are lychees and longan.
    Simon, my take on the diamond river when we first started having fruit was that it was almost too sweet and I wasn't a fan of the soft flesh. However I must admit that recently I have grown to appreciate them. Especially if there are no kohalas around at the time.

I find the kohalas here are sometimes larger, but most of the time about the same size.

here are some pics from previous years (Kohala)

• mangodog
    11 years ago

nice pics Ronald - I suppose there's nothing tropical or sub-tropical that doesn't grow on your farm!

Any mangos????

MANGOpupster

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well Mangodog you picked one that generally doesn't do too well where we are. (2200 above sea level)
    Mangos will grow and produce here, but generally only a fraction of what you would get closer to sea level.

We get good blossom but have problems with sooty mold on the panicles, causing mostly fruit drop or no fruit at all.

• mangodog
    11 years ago

really!!!!!!! That's a shame...and I thought mangos did ok at some elevation.....but what do I know...

MDog

• JAMfruitlover
    11 years ago

hi ronald123 does the kohala need any treatment to produce fruits in your area. i have a kohala that refuses to produce

• ronald123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Jamfruitlover, the kohala does produce without treatment, but not to the extent in the pictures. the best I have gotten without treatment is maybe 25% bloom.

Of course the diamond river does quite well on its own. In fact I have friends with very good crops near sea level on the island.

• austin_113
    9 years ago

Hello ronald123 i was wondering i live in jamaica westmoreland to be specific and ive never heard of some of these fruit trees. Would you mind sharing some seeds.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

wow,You can grow Santol but not Mango? Somethings wrong!. Just wondering if Coconut does well for you?
    Maybe next spring I will plant the Santol out.

And hopefully,the original poster will see this!

• ronald123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow just happened to be passing by the site and saw the new posts.
    Mangos generally will bloom without any problem here, but as stated before the problem is sooty mildew. probably from the generally damp climate.
    Our best chance for fruit are the newer (for Jamaica) varieties like keit, tommy atkins etc. July, east Indian or bombays are a rarity.
    The first few years I got fruit from the santol I was only succesfull after girdling the truck. This is no longer necessary and just got my largest crop ever, probably hundreds of fruit.

Austin would be willing to share some seeds, you just have to work out how to get them to you.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    9 years ago

Is Santol self fertile? I heard you needed two to tango. Or do you have two trees?

• ronald123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no just one tree. I doubt there is another tree within 60 miles. In the early years I only got fruit after girdling, but that is no longer necessary.

• ronald123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

no just one tree. I doubt there is another tree within 60 miles. In the early years I only got fruit after girdling, but that is no longer necessary.

• ronald123
    Original Author
    9 years ago

abiu

all between 9 and 12 ounces, top, only one pounder

This post was edited by ronald123 on Sun, Nov 2, 14 at 14:35

• calazz
    8 years ago

What other fruit trees will survive in Mandeville? Where in Manchester are fruit trees sold?

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?