Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
man_go_bananas

Mango Varieties- Which would YOU choose?

Man-Go-Bananas
12 years ago

Here are the ones I'm considering...

1) Pickering: I already have one of this variety, and it is currently fruiting in a 7 gallon pot. Any input on what the taste is like? I've heard it is coconut-ish.

2) Kent: High production, no fiber, and (great taste?)

3) Valencia Pride: High production, and I have heard great things about flavor.

4) Cushman: I've heard it has amazing flavor, but is it a heavy bearer?

If anyone has any variety other than the ones listed that has consistent production and good flavor please let me know. Thanks,

MGB

Comments (9)

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

You're missing the Boss -- the Coconut Cream! High production and excellent creamy flavor.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Where can I find one online? Thanks for the suggestion :-)

• johnb51
    12 years ago

I think Kent has superb flavor--very rich. Unfortunately it's a big tree so I didn't plant it in my new garden. I went for a variety of smallish mango trees instead--4 trees in place of 1 Kent!--including Pickering and Angie, which I've never tasted.

Jeff, the Angie finally put out new leaves, as did the Mauritius lychee and Florida Hass avocado, but I'm still waiting on the Pickering. Kind of puzzling. It looks the same as the day I planted it.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Did your pickering have fruit? It will not grow with fruit on it.

• Man-Go-Bananas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the input on the Kent. I am looking for a more semi-dwarf variety, but the Kent really looked good production-wise, and I can keep it pruned. Any other suggestions guys?

MGB

• johnb51
    12 years ago

No, Jeff. I purposely removed the fruit before I planted it. The good news is that it still looks perfectly healthy so I guess when it feels like it it'll start growing.

• jeffhagen
    12 years ago

Yah, as Oscar once put it -- our hobby fosters patience. If the tree doesn't put out new growth by end of summer, then that would be something to worry about. Right now, the mango trees are just starting to 'wake up'. You should see growth in the coming weeks.

• johnb51
    12 years ago

Ah...patience. A supreme virtue in gardening, as in life!

• ticodxb
    12 years ago

The only time I ate a mango was when I ate this one cake at a cafe in Downtown Denver. Well, I did eat it many times :) But I never bought them to eat by themselves.

Now that I live in the Middle East I eat mangoes all summer long because they are crazy about them here. We have one mango tree at our home but it is not my most favorite..my MIL got it from Oman over 10 years ago. The mangoes are small and pale yellow inside... with a slightly tart flavor.

So far I like the ones that have a real orange color inside. Like the Alphonso mangoes from India, which just started recently being sold here. They are still a tad expensive but over the next month or so the price should drip as more will be imported. My husband's favorite are from Pakistan--they are large and oval shaped and a more yellow to yellow-orange in color. I think they are good, but prefer the Alphonso.

I just did an image search for some of the mango varieties listed here.. the Kent one looks like the really orange colored kinds I love.

Valencia Pride looks more similar in shape and color (I think it might be smaller though) to the Pakistani mangoes my husband likes.

I will be visiting family in Denver this September. I think I will be asking my sister to pick up several varieties of mangoes (hopefully they sell many of the ones listed here) and have her freeze them so I can taste them when I get there :)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm