Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hmhausman

Yard Update 4/24/11

hmhausman
12 years ago

A mini update so I hopefully don't go over my bandwidth limitations woth Photobucket.

Redlands White Sapote setting first fruit. A bit hard to see.....upper center of picture:

Nam Doc Mai....now full mature size, wating to be picked or to split with the next rainfall. Many of the mangoes have some scars on thier skin this year. Not sure why, but while it affects the exterior look, I am not expecting any compromise of the eating quality.

Seedling Rollinia fruit set. I have been feverishly hand pollinating all of my annonas....many cross pollinating withgefner Atemoya pollen. It would be interesting to do a large scale seedling development program. If anyone has the time and space....let me know.

Okrung....back to its glory production levels after severe hurrcane damage and several low yoeld years.

Hak Ip Lychee Fruit size update (for Lycheeluva):

Mauritius

There had been some discussion about Duncan...here's mine.

Julie mango seems to have benifitted from Sulphur spraying. The fruits look cleaner and are definitely much more numerous this year. The tree has been in constant bloom for months.

Spirit of 76 coloring up

All for now.

Harry

Comments (22)

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Amazing hw lychee look like ,, i love lychee trees ,, and the white sapote did fruit for the first time !! But it seems old ,,

• adiel
    12 years ago

Harry, nice update. Are you watering your mango trees?

Adiel

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Nice pictures, especially love the Lychee ones. Any dragon fruit in bloom or fruiting stages?

• pepperot
    12 years ago

Nice pics Harry! You can always set up an extra photobucket account to get around their bandwidth limit. I never tire from looking at those trees.

-Tom

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

@Amr: I did not mean to say that it was the first time ever this tree has fruited. It hasn't consistantly matured fruits since Hurricane Wilma....these are just the first fruit set of this season.

@Adiel: No, no mango watering going on at my house. However, I do have a fairly high water table and there is mositure that my trees can probably get without to much effort. So, I am not sure what the significance is of my not watering.

@Stephan: Funny you should ask. My first of the season dragon fruit bloom opened last night. It is on my Physical Graffiti. There are no other blooms even begining to bud out on all the other dragonfruit plants.

@pepperot: I should have done that. Instead, I opened a Picassa account with Google and I am afraid I got myself into much more than I bargained for. I am still trying to figure out what I did.

Harry

• rayandgwenn
    12 years ago

It all looks so good!

• nullzero
    12 years ago

Harry,

Congrats on your first dragon fruit bloom of the season. Time to take some night shots hehe :).

• red_sea_me
    12 years ago

Wow the Spirit of 76 is looking picture perfect.

Do you remember if the rollinia you obtained the seeds from was small or large?

Thanks Harry, it is always interesting to see what is going on in you yard.

-Ethan

• MangoDoc
    12 years ago

Harry

The trees look very nice!! Our fruit up here are about half your size. What time of year does your trees start to bloom down your way?

Joe.

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Harry ,,

glad to hear that ,, as i have a seedling white sapote and dnt knw when it will bear ,,
    and in your opinion ,, should i order from Top or pine nurseries ,, i did order from top lot of times ,, but their grafted trees seem to die every time i order them ( taking in consideration my shipping take about 10 to 14 days , and the ones that do die are always star fruit and jackfruit )
    Top has a nice variety of white sapote and a large variety of jackfruit which i am willing to order this time ,,

Thanks, Amr

• jfernandez
    12 years ago

very nice Harry,

I suppose you will be eating your first mango real soon.....when do you harvest your last mango?

JF

• mangodog
    12 years ago

bountiful and beautiful, Harry.....i bet you're thinkin' to yourself - 'It's about TIME!!!!!!!!'

Quick Question: How long would you guess it is from baby mangos to fully ripe on the vine...on the average????

MangoCorgi

• lycheeluva
    12 years ago

harry- was about to email you to ask how the lychees were coming along- but then i thought, i should check to see if you have posted an update on the forum- and behold you did!
    everything looks awesome. really excited for next month.

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Harry,

I must say, nothing about your yard, fruit trees, or update is "Mini". Everything is outrageous as usual and looks so damn beautiful! Nice to see some pictures of Lychees in that Sea of Mangos. I would like to reserve a Box of your Finest, please e-mail and let me know how much $$ I need to send and I will put a Check in the mail tomorrow to reserve me some. Also, was curious to know which Jakfruit Trees currently have fruit on them right now, or you expect to have soon? Thanks for sharing the pics Harry, please keep them coming....We Love them!

Jacob

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Hope u didnt forget meHarry.

Thanks, Amr

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for the kind remarks. I forgot one update photo. Here is the first fruit on my Petch Pakchong sugarapple, that I think is really an atemoya. Its a tiny tree and very recent planting, but I have had the fruit from a friend's tree and I thought it compared favorably with Gefner.....so I planted out two.

@Stephen: I ran out and hand pollinated the first Physical Graffiti bloom. Noticed a bunch of new buds popping out. Whiole these do set fruit without hand polination, there is no doubt that hand pollination increases yield by many times.

@Ethan: The Rollinia seedling was given to me after it was already a couple feet tall....so I am not sure how big the fruit was. I was thinking that the seedling came from my friend Noel, pictured below

{{!gwi}}

but in checking my records, another of my friends picked it up for me....so I am going to have to wait until the size of the fruit will be revealed. Stay tuned.

@Amr: I have only done business with Pine......so you know where my loyalties and reccomendations would lie.

@JF: I have had Neelum and Keitt into October....however, once the main crop of mangoes is over, the local critters descend on the latter maturing culitvars and it is a race in time to see who is going to get the last of the mango crop....them or me. Unfortuantely, they get many more than me. So, the realistic final dates is usually no later than early September and sometimes, late August depending on the year.

@Gary: According to the literature and my own experience, mangoes take between 100 and 160 from flower to fruit depending on the cultivar and ambient weather conditions. The warmer the temps, the faster the mangoes mature.

@Jacob: Many of my jakfruit trees have fruit on them now. The greatest fruit set is on Black Gold, Dang Rasimi, Black Gold x Tabouey, and a seedling I call Orange Crisp. The fruits range in size from mere ounces to probably 10 pounds. The fruits will be ripening between June or so and September.

• amrkhalido
    12 years ago

Thx Harry, and what a fruit it is, i was planning in buying some seeds, but now i want to buy a tree. I cant wait to taste it.

Amr

• tropicaliste
    12 years ago

Rollinia? That fruit's as huge as a Durian or small Jackfruit...

:)

• tropicalgrower89
    12 years ago

Great pics Harry! I'm being tempted into getting more mango varieties, but I need to save space for other fruit trees. :/

• franktank232
    12 years ago

Harry-

What about the cacao? Is it making a comeback, setting flowers and making pods?

The apricots are the only thing blooming up here in Wisconsin. Even the maple trees don't have leaves yet.

• hmhausman
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Frank:

My large cacao tree, the one that once set some fruit before the onslaught of the cold waves and freezes of the last two winters, still looks pretty beaten up. No new blooms since the freeze. The leaves look very chlorotic and the new growth seems to take forever to grow. I'll take a shot of it tomorrow if I get the chance.

Harry