Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will it be ready?

Posted by cubano1 10Fl (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 15, 14 at 9:17

My Velvet Lady passion vine has produced a fruit picture of which I am including, when will I be able to take it down and consume?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will it be ready?

Coool!!!
I wish you good luck with it!

o

When I picked my Velvet Lady fruits (2) they were empty, what can cause this? there 2 other will they be the same way?

o

• Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 12:32

I grow purple passionfruit (passiflora edulis) and I can tell you that their skin get wrinkled when they are ripe. The color of yours seems green. Maybe it was far from being ripe when you picked it.

Suerte

o

Jalilu: I've been looking everywhere for the purple one. Where can I buy it? Please help. Thanks!

o

i got possum-purple
ebay and Amazon have live plants and seeds

you can also try Hirts, logee, georgia vines

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.logees.com/passion-flower-possum-purple-passiflora-edulis.html

o

• Posted by jalilu Sunset Zone 23/24 (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 11:30

Gamma Garden, the purple one is the most common. I am surprised that you can't find it. Check the Arizona or California nurseries. If you prefer to grow them from seeds, you will find below the website of a Canadian seeds provider. If I were you, I would look for a purple passionfruit (passiflora edulis) grafted on a yellow one (passiflora flavicarpa) which are more resistant to nematodes. I've already lost a few purple passionfruits, grown from seeds, because of these tiny....!!

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy passionfruit seeds

o

To answer your original question, let the fruit drop, and pick it up off the ground. However, if you pick it when it's close to ripe, you can finish ripening it on the counter.

Lack of seeds means the flower didn't get pollinated. I have one vine that routinely produces empty fruit, another one 10 feet away produces full fruit. Go figure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here