Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identify this insect

Posted by adiel 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 9:28

Can you help me identify these insects. It is on an ackee tree. They like to group together. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identify this insect

Photo 1

o

Photo 2

o

Could it be Sri Lanka Weevils ? Check out the link below...

Here is a link that might be useful: UF...Sri Lanka Weevils...

o

Thank you for your comment but, they are defintely not the Sri Lanka Weevils. The Sri Lanka Weevils are destructive, hard shell and white in color. These are non-destructive, soft shell and black in color. Also, these form "groups" sticking very close together. The only time the Sri Lanka Weevils are together is when they are mating.

This post was edited by adiel on Tue, Apr 9, 13 at 15:01

o

Maybe it is this strange insect.

o

Stinkbug nymphs tend to hang out in groups. Cant really tell from the picture if that is what they are tho. In the second picture about a third of the way up from the bottom, if I squint hard enough, I think I can see a adult leaf-footed stink bug.

Any chance for a closer picture of the bugs?

VinceSFL, your strange insect is an oleander moth.

DM

o

Thank You for your post. I believe it is not a stinkbug neither since the stinkbug has a big waist and these have a thin waist.

This post was edited by adiel on Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 7:51

o

dangermouse,

I have a lot of oleanders and they often get attacks from caterpillars. I wonder if those caterpillars are from the oleander moths? Those caterpillars are verocious.

o

Take couple off the plant and put your camera in macro-mode for closeup shots. WIll help in identifying tremendiously. Or if you are scared of them (lol) just try macro-mode on the tree itself and try not to shake the camera.

o

Try 'Psocids' they are harmless to you and the tree

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Tropical Fruits Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here