Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agility_mom

Timotayo Mango

agility_mom
13 years ago

I just got this Mango tree and was wondering if anyone has grown them and if so how they are working out.

Comments (29)

• squam256
    13 years ago

I believe Mangodog has one.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Squam has a good memory. I do have one - really got pugged by the LAST G_ _ Damn frost at the beginning of Feb.! (excuse my language) and is very slow to recover, but I do think I have some bud swelling now, so perhaps it will make it.

But, A-Mom - it's just a really young stick of a tree - did you have any particular question about it? And where did you get yours ? I thought they were only sold in SoCal...?

Anyway, I have an article I can send you by the guy who developed it and it talks about some of its characteristics if your interested.....

MangiferaWoofWoof

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

This is one of the varieties that there isn't really much info on. The only thing that I know about it is that it is a sport of Kent but is supposed to be more prolific and hardier. The fruit is supposed to be fiber less and tasty. The tag says that it grows to 9' tall and 5' wide.

There aren't really any experiences of people that have grown them. So, I was just wondering if anyone had grown this long enough to see if the nursery claims are true. This is what I was looking for.

I bought mine from Tropica Mango Nursery in Mesa, AZ. He gets them from Ca.

By the way, after seeing your Manila, I had to buy one. What a beautiful plant.

• dnt72800
    13 years ago

agility
    I also purchased one from moneta about a month ago. Can't find any info on it beside the article posted by mangodog.
    so far so good, may be pushing out bloom soon.

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I read the article posted by Mangodog and that is the most info that I've seen on it. Thank you Mangodog.
    I hope this tree is as good as the article, it sounds like a great tree.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I've read, with interest, the article posted by MangoDog about this mango. Further internet investigation finds this description on the site of Flowerdale Nursery:

Timotayo- This is a great Philippine Mango that is one of the best cold tolerant varieties. The fruit is greenish yellow & has almost no fibers in its flesh. The flavor is sweet, juicy, & dense.

This description seems to be quite different than the Kent seedling rendition of its heritage. I also wonder what "dense" flavor is. I have a few dense friends, but I am not sure I have ever encountered a dense flavor. In any case, MangoDog's article seems more authentic than this Santa Ana, CA nursery's info. I continue to follow this mango with interest.

Harry

• mullenium
    13 years ago

I just picked up a 3.5gal timotayo at Lowes here in AZ for 40 bones... gonna try to grow it in a 24" pot

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

is it a seedling? wonder how different it is from the regular manilla seedlings they sell out there

• mullenium
    13 years ago

no its grafted! although small with only 2 growth points above the graft (the CA growers tend to graft a few feet up the trunk on their mango's... this lowes had this timotayo and a haden, both grafted in 3.25gal pots

they also had the regular manilla seedlings

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Are the potted mangoes there at the Lowe's or HD very heavy? Could a person bring that onto a plane or would that only be okay to ship?

:)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

...dont' ya HATE that Mulls - those high grafts? What it means is they just graft a little V shaped stick on top of the rootstock and let it take and then they can sell it. If it had been grafted near the base of the plant, they would need a year or so to let it grow and strengthen....

but more on Tim Thompson from Camarillo California.....I did correspond with him in emails about 2 months ago after sending him a letter, and he said in the next year or two (perhaps?) there would be another 9-10 varieties he's created that would go on the market and they would all be the most cold hardy mangos out there.....BECAUSE .....he said he literally put NO protection on his seedling mangos and the ones that survived the cold became breeders for round after round of the same stress tests year after year, and Timotayo was the first one he released last year that sprung from his work.

HE didn't say how much cold they could handle, but it seemed to me that he read off some temps in the upper 20's or perhaps less that they had survived with no damage....which would mean with protection they would even do better in cold climates.....

As I said mine got frost pugged, but I'm thinking now that i had left the clear plastic cover over the plant and it's scaffolding day after day in the winter (I know, I know - you guys warned me about that!), and it could have very well been that the heat toasted it, or the extreme shifting of temps under the cover....just not sure....

He's doing this to eventually release them to farmers in California to replace Orange and Avocado orchards that are having many bug challenges and other problems at the moment....and he has had some farmers that have planted little test areas with his new tree(s)....he's looking to make a radical change in the California Fruit Scene ....interesting, huh?

Anyway, he told me to keep him posted on how my Timotayo does in the desert.....lol.....obviously, I haven't really jumped out of my chair to call him flushed with excitement about its development....

mangoPUG

• mullenium
    13 years ago

Lol, well now you have agility_mom and I out in the extreme desert, I wonder if I should pot it or not? Since it's selling point is the hardiness of it after all

• jfernandez
    13 years ago

MangoDog

I wonder what farmers he's talking about? If they are in Central California, forget about it. If they are in Ventura or Riverside County it's very unlikely.....North San Diego it's doable but for some reason I can't see those farmers and growers substitute their avocados for mangos.

• mullenium
    13 years ago

Mangodawg,

Did your plastic frost sheet touch the foliage that got frost pugged? That could be a reason.. I don't think plastic is a good frost cover for that very reason.. Unless it never touches the foliage

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mangodog, you should try using the frost cloth instead of the plastic. I used both and the cloth did much better. You can leave the stuff on for days and it doesn't fry the plants and still protects them from the cold.I bought a bolt of it for about $120 online.
    I also bought another Timotayo while at Lowes. Those grafts are pretty high up.
    Yeah, Mullenium, we can be the desert guinea pigs :)

• mangodog
    13 years ago

jf - I don't know which farmers, but that's what he told me...just "some" had planted them...

mulls - the thing is I dont' think the plastic touched the plant leaves...close but didn't....I think it was the quick heat up after the nippy night that did something....just guessing....or maybe its location would have gotten really cold anyway...this next winter I'll have a different setup for sure and I'll purchase 3 or 4 cheap thermometers too!!!!!!!

A-Mom - this "frost" cloth...would shade cloth that I use to protect some other plants work do you think? What exactly is this frost cloth? What's it made of and how does it look?

MangoMax

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shade cloth isn't the same and seems like it would not work. The stuff that I have is called N-Sulate. Mine is the 1.5 oz weight, is supposed to be 6 to 8 degrees warmer than outside temps on it's own but I used the C-7 and C-9 old fashioned Christmas lights inside of my frost set ups so it was even warmer.
    Nothing that I had covered was damaged by the low 20 degree temps and that includes mango, starfruit, guava, bananas, 13 young citrus and various other frost sensitive plants.
    The great thing about this stuff is that it can be on the leaves and doesn't damage the plants. Some of mine were left on for a couple of weeks at a time more than once since the threat of frost went on for several nights at a time. The light transmission is supposed to be 60% to 70%, it's UV treated and is permeable.
    I bought a 12' X 250'roll from Greenhouse Mega Store for $119.
    Here's a link to an E-Bay site that tells a little more about it than Greenhouse Mega Store.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Dewitt-N-Sulate-1-5-oz-Frost-Protection-blanket-10-x-12-/320044198416
    I actually used the frost cloth and topped it with plastic to make a small greenhouse type thing The plastic alone was too cold inside even with lights.
    Anyway, it worked out well for me.

• mullenium
    13 years ago

yeah i used plastic on my small cavendish banana patch and they all were nipped to the ground, but my other plants were with frost cloth (they look like huge green thick sheets)

although my mangos were protected by my makeshift greenhouse out of pvc and shrink wrap

also everything had clamp spotlights with 75wat floodlights and c-9 xmas lights

• mangodog
    13 years ago

thanks, agility mom - i like the fact it can actually be touching the leaves and not pose any harm to them...boy - 12feet by 250 feet is a HUGE roll....I think I'd need about 12 feet by 100 feet and I'd cut it up....

and thanks for the good links on the frost cloth, too...i'll def. do my checking on it!

supposed to be in the low 40's tonight according to the newspaper - I'm thinking of just blanketing some of my junior mangos, just to be ultra safe....we got a little late winter storm coming thru......

mangoshivers

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

I'd like to join the wagon of owning timotayo mango, without any knowledge or testing it. I was looking for mango for a while, tried to contact plantogram without success, pine island quoted the shipping at more than 50. I talked to Roger Meyer and he recommended me to try those Manila for container planting, I shopped around and even plan to pick up one from him, stop by at lowes and home depot to check out some mango found a couple of Manila but all seeding, and then I found this grafted timotayo with description of 9' tall and 5' wide, that made me bought this baby back home and found this post.

Btw on the way home I've got to try Ataulfo (champagne) mango with sweet rice, this suppose to have the same taste as Manila, it was so very good, I'd rate it right behind nam doc Mai.

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Mangodog, I cut my 250' roll up into various sizes and still have some left on the roll for my new frost sensitive plants that will need covering next winter. I used bricks around the base and binder clips to seal the sides or tops.
    Sorry, I should have added the Greenhouse Mega Store link too.
    http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/n-sulate-protection-fabric/plant-protection-fabric
    I didn't see a 100' roll but maybe someone will split a bigger roll with you or someplace else would have it in a 100" roll if it's something you decide to get.

We're getting that storm here today and they are saying 40's tonight but I think I'll take my chance since we are getting so much rain.

James, good to hear another Timotayo tester has joined the ranks.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

MD, I get mine from this company...they are only 35 minutes away so I buy them in person...saves some on shipping. They do however have one Retail size 10 X 12...I believe its the same weight as the one that agilitymom buys...if you don't need a whole Roll. Also if you double it up it gives you better protection. Granted its not fool proof as you've seen the damages the freeze did to my trees every winter and I've used this product on them with lights! I prefer it because its very light weight and fairly easy to use.

Below is the link...scroll all the way to the bottom for the size and price.

Agilitymom...Good luck with your new mango tree!

Here is a link that might be useful: FreezeProof.com

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

Anyone plan to re-pot into new bigger pot for this Timmy? I've read somewhere that laveurn nursery always ship plant with over size pot. I plant to leave it in the original pot for a year if possible. Anyone who transplant see any sign of root bound?

• mullenium
    13 years ago

I'm gonna put mine in a 24 inch pot

• agility_mom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I planted the Timotayo that I had bought first and it is from Laverne. There were no signs at all of being rootbound. This tree was a lot bigger than the one that I bought at Lowes but it was in the same size pot.
    I'm still trying to decide what to do with the second one.

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

I'm begin to wonder how this timotayo's gonna taste like? I checked around over the Internet and find noone to confirm about the taste or even see the fruit itself. I sure hope I don't get disappointed from this tree. Btw to make sure I will have good mango next year, I just placed order for nam doc Mai with Mickey @ plantogram. I think I'm done for now with all tropical fruit tree(still want that keow savoy from Roger Meyer but afraid of the tree get too big).

• ifocusongod_usa_net
    12 years ago

I bought a Timotayo last week from TropicaMango along with a few other tropicals. It's exciting to see other desert-dwellers who are buying them. I haven't decided where to plant them yet, but feel that I should hurry up before it gets much hotter.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

James - at the risk of repetitiveness, here's the article by the creator of the Timotayo....

• emperorlychee
    12 years ago

would any body lend me some mango cuttings... im not picky so if you had any would you help my cause.
    thankyou patricio