Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
everettsky

Philippine Super Mango v Maha Chanok v Edward...

everettsky
13 years ago

Greetings fellow tropical fruit growers.

I just wanted to post a few words regarding my recent run-in with Mr. Maha Chanook. I was grocery shopping at the local Tesco Lotus Supermarket and saw they had a single tray of Maha Chanooks for sale in the mango fruit section. Needless to say I did a double-take at the sight of the sign advertising them. Unfortunately, many of the best fruits had been sorted through and bought before I had the chance to select from the tray. As all things locally grown here in Thailand, it was ridiculously cheap and affordable. Six beautiful mangoes for the equivalent of approx. $4.00 U.S. had me in stitches at the deal I just came upon.

You can see the variety name in English at the top.

I had two of them before I decided to snap away.. Delicious!

Very faint blush..No sun exposure while they were developing on the tree. Some fruits in the market had a very rich and vibrant blush on them while the fruit I chose to buy did not.

The buttery flesh of a ripe Maha Chanook.

I had the mangoes sitting on the shelf in my apartment and when I came home this evening, they had filled my entire place with the scent of ripe mangoes. They have such a strong scent! I would describe the taste as melting and buttery, juicy, fragrant, with a sweetness to round it out. Much more complex than any Thai mango I had eaten thus far except for one unnamed mango of which I have never seen again. The MC had a perfect balance of acid and absolutely no fiber to speak of.

The first thing I thought of was the Philippine Super Mango I had eaten when I visited Luzon Island on vacation in the P.I. The Ataufo, Champagne and Honey from Mexico and the Caribbean are all sports of the Carabao variety within the Philippines. They do NOT in my opinion reach the level of the Philippine Super Mango. They are not as fragrant, juicy, or fully flavored. This is just IMHO, being that I have tried both varieties at their peak and several times over. The PSM is also a sport of this variety except it has been selected due to it being a superior strain of Carabao and propagated under the designation "PSM." The Edward I ate shared all the basic characteristics of the PSM and MC but was unique in its own way. I also think the Edward I had has more of a sweeter and more powerful scent than either the MC or PSM. I had two MC's giving out a slightly "off" scent from the sap oozing out of the stem on the top of the fruit. This did not affect the flavor of the flesh inside. In my opinion, the Edward, MC and the PSM have relatively the same balance of acid, sweetness, buttery flesh, luscious flavor, lack of fiber, powerful fragrance, and overall appeal.

One thing I thought I would add is that since trying the Guiness Book of World Records "sweetest mango" being the PSM, I have to disagree with that designation. I'm not so sure they have entered some of the Okrung's from Thailand for their brix to be compared. It might have been a sport of Okrung that I tried, which was super super sweet?? I don't know but I almost threw it away because it was like eating mango flavored pancake syrup. I have eaten many PSMs but the Okrung mango here in Thailand...? Well, lets just say it's the sweetest, most syrupy, sugar packed little mango I've ever tried in my entire life.

Any other opinions on these four mango varieties flavor-wise?

-everettsky

Comments (7)

• mango_kush
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

good to hear Florida cultivar Edward is keeping up with the best of the thai varieties. now if we can just get an "improved" productive Edward

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Everettsky - GREAT post! I'm so glad to hear the MC is all its been cranked up to be, so makes me continue to want to get my hands on one to grow.

I don't suppose the phillipine super mango is sold in this country yet. That would be a nice cultivar to get, too.

I love sweet!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the share and pics....

mangocoyote

• berns_20
    13 years ago

Everettsky - I worked for Philexport - an umbrella organization of Phil. Gov't to assist philippine exporter products in the globe. Another organization is CITEM, which assist exporters in the promotion and marketing of there products. Since Carabao Mango is an export fruit crop of the Philippines, they branded carabao mango Philippine Super Mangoes (PSM) or sometimes Manila Super Mangoes.

Philippine Super Mangoes is just a brand created by CITEM for mango exporters much like of Calypso Mango or B74 mango of Australia. Under this brand, there are carabao mango strains that are grown and sold to exporters such as Lamao, probably the oldest carabao mango strain that was named after Lamao Experimental Station in Bataan which was under the American Agricultural Department when Philippines was under American regime.

As far as Iam concern the Philippine Super mangoes you have eaten in Luzon are probably the Lamao strain. As far as the sweetest mango in the world, Sweet Elena Mango, a carabao strain was the one mentioned in the Guiness Book and not the Lamao. This carabao mango strain does not seldom get to local market because almost all grown Sweet elena mango in Zambales in the Philippines get exported to Hong Kong and Japan.

You see, Hong Kong fruit traders who import carabao mango strain only get mangoes from zambales because it is known for the best grown mangoes in the Philippines.

For the taste of Sweet Elena Mango, I've tried it and bought fruits on the site of the mother tree which is about 100 years old. Its sickening sweet with a hint of tartness and a super strong aroma. This variety was released in 2005 and was not released by the Phil. Govt due plant protection issues of the owner of the strain.

I bought 5 grafted trees of this variety and a better variety that they discovered near there trees in the mango farm. The new variety is codenamed LL07. It is a pity that these varieties will not be sold to new mango farmers for upgrade of the mango farm.

There is a growing interest in growing Edwards mango in the Philippines. Edwards mango is a cross between haden x carabao mango, and like edwards is shy bearer because carabao mango is a biennial fruiting mango variety. It fruits every 2 years only. Thats why edwards mango is a less yielding cultivar or less productive fruiting mango. To make it productive, you need to spray with flower inducer like carabao mango like in the Philippines.

I think Edwards mango will have an advantage with Carabao mango because it has a hint of Haden mango sweetness that makes it Unique. And is more disease resistance.

Here is a link about Sweet elena Mango:

http://blog.agriculture.ph/sweetest-mango-in-the-world-sweet-elena-mango.html

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Edward is popular in Brasil bredding programs as well, So I bet a more prolific, but similar to Edward cross out there does exist

If you want sweet look for Okrung or Okrung Tong. Okrung Tong is the sweetest mango I ever tasted, never tried Okrung but from everyones account its up there too (okrong tong maybe just a pointy variant)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Berns
    I haven't seen you in such a long time, asking you for Guyatis seeds... where have you been hiding?! lol

I wasn't aware of the varied names of the Carabao because they don't label them even in SM, but your reference to the quality of Zambales mangoes is what I've heard as well, and in the delivery service for ANA and other Japanese companies they charge $80 for 6 Philippine mangoes.

In the states they're selling them at the larger chains of Filipino supermarkets in California(PacificSeafood).

:)

• nighthawk0911
    7 years ago

If a Valencia Pride is an "8" and a Carrie Mango is a "9" what would you folks who have had the privilege of trying an Edward or Maha Chinook rate them?