Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_monty

Help with dying Lychee Trees

organic_monty
13 years ago

Hello All.....

We purchased a property with 30 Lychee trees and we are still on the learning curve. Have a few trees that are not looking so great and thought I could get some help. Seems like a lot of them are getting a type of "moss" on them, as such:

Trees are showing signs of stress and leaf drop when covered with this. Here are a few additional shots. Any help is greatly appreciated.

We also lost alot of our fruit set to this:

Comments (16)

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Same question about the Lychees. :) They do like lots of water.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

The moss should be harmless. Depending on your soil (are you in Dade County?) the trees may be in desperate need of chelated micronutrients, especially if those are 'Emperor' lychees.

Jeff

• organic_monty
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Jeff,

We are in Palm Beach County. Not sure if they are Emperor, we haven't had any fruit from them.

Any rec'd on where I can get bulk chelated micronutrients?

And yes, it's been a VERY DRY spring so I'm sure that doesn't help.

Thanks!

Chris

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

That lychee tree in the picture looks like it could be an emperor judging by the leaves. They have a reputation for being a bit harder to grow. If you're in west palm, you likely have sand which would likely mean that you could just use granular micronutrients. At any rate, you'd do well to ask some of the other growers in the area. I believe there is a prosource one in your area that would likely have iron chelate, micronutrient mixes, etc.

Jeff

• pj1881
    13 years ago

Winfield Solutions is a great supplier for EVERYTHING, they used to be called ProSource One in Boynton Beach off 441, south of Lantana Rd.. They are about half the cost of the home improvement and nurseries, and you can buy BULK!

Patrick

• organic_monty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jeff and Patrick,

Thank you, I figured they were deficient and good to know about the emperor. Will get it some nutrients asap!

I will try that Winfield / Prosource shop.....

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Organic Monty:

That mossy looking stuff on your lychees is a type of lichen. While it does not harm the tree, it has a symbiotic relationship with it, it does indicate that the tree is no longer significantly growing on those limbs or branches upon which it is growing. So seeing this on the tree indicates to me a less than robust growing tree or one that is in decline. But that has nothing to do with and is not caused by the lichen.

Harry

• emperorlychee
    12 years ago

I realy need you guys hel...my sweetheart and emperor I just got from pine island nursery have droped all of their leaves and I dont know what to do they are in 3 gal. pots...and have not grown anything since i got them...please please help me i dont want to lose them and they where 120 dollars... please rescue me

• hmhausman
    12 years ago

Lack of water is almost always the issue with leaf drop. It has been very, very dry here and potted plants kept in the sun dry very very quickly. If it were me, I'd keep them very moist. No complete drying out of soil.

Harry

• simon_grow
    12 years ago

Emperorlychee, did you fertilize your lychee trees recently? Newly acquired lychees should not be fertilized. They should be well watered and kept in partial shade until it is aclimated to it's new home. Not enough water like Harry said, too much fertilizer, or too much strong direct sunlight may cause leaf drop. A picture will help with the diagnosis. Too much water can also cause leaf drop.

• emperorlychee
    12 years ago

well, i water them every day... they are living in my deck so they only get direct light until 2 oclock. So should i bring it inside and water less. any suggestions

thankyou for your help
    patrcio

• puglvr1
    12 years ago

Just a guess but "if" your potting mix is mostly Peat? and you water it every day the bottom of the pot may not be draining properly. Potted Fruit trees do much better in good potting mix that drain well (porous). Lychees need lots of water especially this time of year...but if your mix doesn't drain properly root rot can set in...just a thought.

Can you carefully pull the root ball out and check the bottom of the roots to see if the soil is "soggy"... check to see if the roots are starting to rot?

If it were mine I wouldn't put it inside...shade or mostly shade might be good since it has NO leaves.What zone are you in? What are your daytime temps? Your profile doesn't say.

Good luck!

• emperorlychee
    12 years ago

I'm in zone 8... my mixture of soil is half WELL draining compost, and the rest is peat... our daytime temps. are about 95 f, the bottom of te pot is not soggy ...it is more on the moist side.
    thanks for the help
    patricio

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Regarding the lichen, I have two Jaboticabas in my yard (both very healthy and not too old). I have noticed that this lichen (the type that you have too) really likes my Jaboticabas and if allowed to cover the limbs these limbs die. So starting two years ago I sprayed both trees with a lime/copper fungicide since lichen is 1/2 fungus it knocks it back pretty good. I have to spray the trees once a year. I bought the fungicide at Lowes.
    Good luck!

• bluepalm
    12 years ago

Forgot to add; HarryM is right...old/diseased limbs do succumb to this and it usually is not a good sign to have larger trees covered in it. But unlike citrus (which have a relatively short lifespan), lychee trees grow longer, so you might be able to salvage them. I agree with a good fertilization regimen as well as a lime/copper fungicide drench. You might also give them a big drink if you can.

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

If it were me. I would probably just rip those trees out. It looks like you still have plenty of good looking trees and tearing them up would free up space for something different.