Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
puglvr1

Pickering...Awesome Tree!

puglvr1
12 years ago

This little tree is unreal...I've only had this tree since Feb. 2010 and its fruited twice already. This year it has a little over 30 fruits!! The tree is SO small and I know I have to remove several of them...but I have to tell you its very hard to do that. Its already dropped about 20 fruits and these are the largest ones left. I can't get over how GREAT this little dwarf mango turned out to be.

Anyone looking for a Mango variety that's small that produces early and very productive I definitely recommend this variety!

{{gwi:1312075}}

Comments (28)

• mangodog
    12 years ago

I know Pugsy - mine so far seems great too! Just keeps pushing the flowers bigger and BIGGER....and mine was planted in October of last year.

I'm probably behind you about a month or more but like yours it seems to be very....how do they say it....Virile!

lol.....mangobonesnatcher

• mango_kush
    12 years ago

my rosigold has been loaded its first two years in the ground as well, i wish it was rooted enough to hold all of them

• agility_mom
    12 years ago

I just bought one of these and it is only about 3 1/2 feet tall and came with about 30 baby mangoes on it. I know that it will probably drop them but it's nice to know what I can look forward to :)

• tropicaliste
    12 years ago

Putting "pickering" on my list now!!
    I didn't know that they're such heavy bearers but apparently...

(Did you receive my e-mail, puglvr1?)

:)

• jacob13
    12 years ago

Hey Friends,

Hey Pugs, your Pickering looks great. Aren't these little Fruit trees work horses? I have had mine for about 5 months and it is loaded with fruit and only about 3' feet tall. My Pickering has about 30 little Mangos that are getting bigger every week. I am sure that most of them won't make it, but I am crossing my fingers that I will get at least a few Mangos. As far as picking them off myself prematurely, I think I will leave it up to Mother Nature to take care of it for me.....I just haven't got it in me. Thanks for the great pictures.

Jacob

• invar69
    12 years ago

Wow, what a great little tree! Thanks for posting those pics Pug.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi everyone, it is definitely the most productive little tree I've ever seen. Jacob, I might do what you're planning on doing and let nature take its course. I know that I will lose the majority of them too since the tree is so small, there's NO way it can possibly keep even half of it. I will remove some later if I need too...but I will wait and see what gets the largest. Good luck with yours Jacob, keep us posted!

MD, keep us posted on your little tree...Wow! Look at all those blooms!

Mkush, your Rosigold sounds like another winner, at least planted inground it will be capable of holding on to more fruits.

Agility mom...Awesome! Amazing for such a small and young tree.

Tropicaliste, NO...sorry I haven't received an email from you :o( I also checked my Spam folder as well and there's nothing there. Sometimes, GW has been known to have a few problems with the email option...Please resend it...thanks!

Invar, my pleasure...How's your Mango tree doing?

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Nice tree! Can't believe that tiny tree has so many fruits set. I just planted a Pickering this weekend=) So I'm excited to see how great yours looks. I need to get some pics posted - so hard to find the time tho!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Sun! Looking forward to pictures of your new Pickering. This tree really shouldn't be fruiting at this size,lol. I know I need to remove them...but its just SO hard to pick them off!

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

No argument there! I just culled fruits from my Manilita & Cogshall. So hard!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

After this rain and some wind we just had...I found several of the baby mangoes on the ground. Maybe I won't have to pull them off after all...Nature might just do it for me :o(

Sun, I feel your pain!

Nancy

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

Very nice little mango tree, congratulating. You know what I'm gonna order one as well, it might be too late for this year blooming but I will make sure to get some next year.

To mango dog, sorry I don't know how to send you email. I just want to ask your experience with your order with pine island nursery. I read some where that you ordered yours from them as well. I plan to order both nam doc Mai and Pickering. I want to make sure that the trees will arrive with no damage or should I just look around in our area maybe tropical fruit tree nursery in vista or mimosa in la?

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

James, I ordered my Pickering from Pine Island. I've ordered from them before and they pack their trees very well. They come with a wooden frame around the plant so the top of the box won't get crushed. Arrived in perfect condition, even newly sprouted tender leaves that were only about an inch long. Of course they don't have to travel very far to get to me (I'm in Orlando). But their service is good and they pack well, so I'd recommend them.

• mullenium
    12 years ago

James, if you are in CA.. im not sure if you can get pine to ship to you? you should check out plant o gram, they always include free plants with your order and theres nothing but great reviews on his shipping methods

• ohiojay
    12 years ago

Pug...always a pleasure to see your pics. I hope several of the fruitlets hang in there for the duration for you. Thanks

• mangodog
    12 years ago

yes james....as has been mentioned PIN is excellent stock, Plantogram's Mickey is one of the best to deal with and will send you a picture of the tree before you order...and Mimomsa in LA has some nice sized trees in 15 and 25 gallon sizes, but the time to go there is when they have their half off sale in the fall, unless you are loaded with money and that's not an issue for you!

my email address is myamberdog@gmail.com = happy to help in any way I can....are you in CA?

mangofango

• marinfla
    12 years ago

Nancy The winds and rain were of Cat 1.5 proportion yesterday. Blowing so hard the rain was going sideways! It knocked some of the fruit off my Pickering so I am happy that I don't have to make that tough decision to do it myself. Below is the before pic.... I will post you the after pic this weekend. There is a little less fruit and they are much bigger.I can't wait to try my first fruit from this tree! And now my Lancetilla is now pushing lots of inflos...I will be excited to get even just one of those monster mangoes to set on my Lancetilla!! And yes I am very impressed at what a prolific little tree this Pickering has turned out to be!

• James-hoon
    12 years ago

Mangodog, yes I'm in ca next to yr door, I live in Moreno valley and you replied me under irrigation system I had question about. I plan to order nam doc Mai either from PI or POG. I contact both PI quote me about 100 buck to ship here, I've not heard from POG yet tried to call him all day today. I also contact Roger Meyer in orange county ( the jujube guy) which he has six different varieties but none that I'm looking for at first. But anyway I will stop by at his place this Friday to pick up Keow Savoy mango instead of Pickering. Too bad I don't have a lot of space otherwise I would bought them all.

• invar69
    12 years ago

Puglvr1 - Sorry it took me so long to reply... My mangoes are doing well but I lost Southern Blush to some bad disease. My Pickering nearly died when the stem started turning black. I cut the plant down to nearly a nub to find healthy tissue. Its growing back but its ridiculously tiny now. The picture I am including isn't recent. It doesn't have the big leaf anymore. I have to say, its a trooper because its putting out new shoots; all above the graft line - thankfully.

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks James and Jay!

Sun, that's a very NICE Pickering mango you have there! Yours is much bigger than mine. Yeah, that storm had a little punch to it...I also lost quite a few of my baby mangoes. Not really a bad thing...I know that there are way too many for that little tree to hold. Like you said the storm did what we didn't want to do anyways.

I also lost some from my Carrie and Cogshall...as long as I get a few I'll be happy.

Good luck with your Lancetilla...mine is very small but there is one flower stalk but I'm not holding my breath.

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

Hi Nanci,
    I hope you get to try the Carrie thi year. I really want your opinion. Mine is growing a few small inflos. I cannot help thinking that my lack of experience and knowledge of sooty mold led to the inflos being smaller than normal.

I also wanted to tell you that I lost your email. I your adress saved but must have accidently deleted it. If you get the chance, email me so I can get your address again. I have some exciting news regarding a few of my jades I would like to share with you!

Take care,
    Andrew

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oops...SO SORRY Marin...I accidentally responded to you as "Sun"(duh!) lol...Your Pickering tree is still one of the nicest potted specimen I've seen...VERY nice shape, Great job growing it!

Andrew, thanks! I'm hoping to try at least a couple from my Carrie this summer as well...I've been waiting for several years to try one from this tree,lol...this might be the year? I have a few marble size fruits on them so far...but June is still a long way off...will keep you posted!

Sent you an email...but I believe my email is in "MY PAGE".

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Just wanted to update...out of all those tiny little mangoes I had on my Pickering, only 3 are left. I count myself lucky since the tree is so tiny. I really need to let this one grow after I pick the fruits.

Pickering...

My potted Glenn only has about 5 or 6 left...hopefully all of them will hold till maturity.

• sun_worshiper
    12 years ago

Fingers crossed for you! I hope these hold on to maturity!

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Sunw!!

• jsvand5
    12 years ago

Pug, did you get hit with all of the wind that hit me today? I lost most of the already small amount of mangoes on my trees. The wind must have been close to 60mph by me. Snapped some huge branches of a few of my oak trees as well.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

pugsy - my mouth is watering....your mangos are ready to give you a real treat! And God knows you needed something to go your way .

Want to see PICS of those beauties, cut in half, ok??????????

mangodawg

• puglvr1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jsvand, OMG...sorry to hear that! Thank goodness we didn't have close to 60 mph...we did have some very gusty winds for a little while but probably closer to around 40-45mph...I did lose a couple of mangoes from the my inground Cogshall. I did have several potted plants fall over...but luckily the potted mango trees stayed up! The Glenn is still attached to the Dolly and have it surrounded with Cement Blocks...thank goodness!

We did however get a little over 2" of rain in less than 24 hours so not sure how that will affect the flavor of the mangoes...I hope it doesn't have a watered down taste?

I hope you keep the rest of the ones that hung on!

Mangodog...I will be sure to post pictures of the mangoes cut in half...It may be green,lol...if it falls off before its ripe...but promise I will post pictures!

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm