Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mangodoc

Kook Lom Krong Mango?

MangoDoc
13 years ago

Has anyone ever had, or has grown one of these mangos? I talked to Lynn and Frank at Frankies and they told me about this mango.

The tree is a dwarf tree,and bears twice a year, and the flavor is "suppose" to be like Maha Chanook mango.Lynn told me that they have never gotten any mangos off their Maha Chanook tree and I don't know if I want bud wood off a tree that has not ever beared a crop.

Any thoughts. Thanks, Joe.

Comments (20)

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

Do you know what region of this mango? Sound like Thai, but I cannot come up with any Thai mango.

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

James-hoon, Yes it's a thai mango from what Lynn told me. Sorry for not putting the region in my post.

• ohiojay
    13 years ago

My wife never heard of this one. Could be the spelling and/or my wonderful pronunciation at work. Tried several varients with no hits. I saw a mention of Gao Lim Krong on the web but nothing for what you have. Maybe Harry can help out here?

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

ohiojay
    I sent Lynn this link and she said it looks like the last one but has yellow flesh not orange flesh. I can't find any imfo on it?
    http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropicalfruits/msg121415341807.html?14

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden web

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

Sorry, I don't think I'm gonna be able to help you here. There are many new mangos in Thailand since I moved here. I checked in Thai website and found many mangos that I've never heard off. Some of those import from other region like Taiwan, china, vietnam and then named in Thai, and some by mixing one specie to another.

• Andrew Scott
    13 years ago

Hi Mangodoc,
    Hmm...Another great sounding mango. Maybe I will just have to order this variety next year! I bought my Maha Chinook from Frankies last August so no inflos yet but I am optimistic. Hopefully this coming year it will bloom for me. I will keep you posted. I also know that Blue Palm bought one from them.
    Andrew

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Andrew

Has Blue Palm had any luck yet? And are you the person that has the 600watt HPS light. Was trying to find info on it.
    Joe.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Sorry, no help here.....I have never heard of it and have no idea what it is. Who even knows what language it is and what it means in whatever language that it is.

Harry

• MangoDoc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

James-hoon, Andrew. Here is what Lynn just sent me.

Hi Joe,

You will not find much information on the internet on this mango. It is an old mango variety from Thailand that is not commercial. Here, it is a dwarf like the Julie & very productive. I have to try to force customers to take off the fruits when the tree is only about 2 ft tall since it will try to fruit. We call Carrie a semi dwarf since it's compact & not as fast growing as the larger trees. Lynn

I'm going to put a order in soon does anyone want one? Let me know. I'm here in Centrel florida. Joe.

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

Sounds like a very promising mango, are you getting a good value on this vs another variety?

:)

• AlohaJane
    11 years ago

Aloha,
    Did anyone order and grow these mango trees? If so, how are they?
    My son brought home a small KLK mango tree that he bought from Frankie's on Friday and I cannot find any info online.
    Thanks!
    Jane

• Steve Sue
    8 years ago

We purchased a Kook Lom Krong from Frankies six years ago and didn't care for the fruit. It's very sweet... sugarcane sweet, but not much mango flavor. We know it's often eaten green but haven't cared much for it. We have since grafted white pirie and raposa on the same tree and keep a couple Kook Lom Krong branches on the tree for effect. See our tree in this video: https://youtu.be/vX5IDQe1Djg

• bangkook thailand
    8 years ago

I also ate it once while green, nothing special.

We have many new Taiwanese variety's now, i only ate yu-wen (chakrapat in thai) and it was great. Very big, no fibre, red color and very good taste.

Now we have :

ping gua wen red apple mango

golden queen

summer snow

fortune

kaoshiong 1

red pearl

red dragon

and some others

• figsinhawaii
    8 years ago

Hi Mangodoc, I realize that this question is several years old but I just saw this. I have written about this mango variety that you inquired about- check out the link:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/discussions/3183133/mango-tasting-party-in-hawaii-sample-analysis

• bangkook thailand
    8 years ago

You are the first one who writes that tommy atkins is a nice mango.

• figsinhawaii
    8 years ago

Bangkok Thailand, the taste of the Tommy Atkins we tastes was actually good. Our mango was sweet and had a nice "mango" taste, but the fibers were just too much. The texture of the mango overwhelmed the overall experience and I would definitely not ever buy one of these at a farmer's or super market. After this taste test, I actually went out and purchased the Hawaiian Rapoza for my backyard. You should read up on that mango- it has beaten the Haden (or spelled Hayden in some other places) many times over.

• bangkook thailand
    8 years ago

Yes i've read good reviews about Rapoza but never tasted it ,nor a Haden.

Tommy Atkins is the shame of all mango's is what i read, i've never seen one though.

In Thailand we don't have those mango's, i've seen advertising tarps for Tommy's but they are used as roofs above marketstands. Guess the Thai didn't like them and won't grow those.

There are many more mango's like kook lom krong but for me the general rule is that if they aren't sold in big quantity's they can't be good. Many mango's are grown here for eating green or making salads. Others can fruit offseason and that's also great.

I also like to eat green mango's but only the best ones like keo savoy. This one is also good when ripe but almost nobody waits so long.

Myself i grow all those new variety's but they haven't fruited yet and even if they do i will pick the fruit of the tree so it can grow more first.

Did you also try the ah-ping mango from hawaii? Or the hawaiian dwarf?

The dwarf should be a very compact tree which would be great to grow on balcony's.

• figsinhawaii
    8 years ago

Bangkok Thailand,

Ha ha, the shame of all mangoes! That's funny. I have tasted a few Thai varieties and I have tasted them green. I have even tasted some that are so green that they are crunchy like an apple or a pear! I much prefer sweet mangoes though. I love the classic yellow-orange, sweet and juicy fruit. I have not tried the Ah-ping but I have tried the Hawaiian dwarf. I heard that it was a cross between a Julie (or was it Carrie?) and a Kent. The one I tried was too over-ripe and had gone a bit mushy, so I wasn't able to enjoy it in its full glory. I haven't found another one at the farmer's market since.

Sigh.. I have always wanted to visit Thailand!

• bangkook thailand
    8 years ago

Well for visiting Thailand i would wait a while....just follow the news. The us$ is skyhigh now which is good for you guys.

The only thai mango i really like is the namdocmai, the green ndm tastes the best in my opinion but the golden one is sold the most.

Green mango's can be nice as well but as soon as you see them being sold with dipping sauces then you know the quality isn't that great. Thai also eat them with salt/sugar/chili dry powder dip.

They also use green ones for somtam salad but mostly that's made from unripe papaya.

There is one very delicious unripe eaten mango but i don't know the name of it. I m buying all mangotree's with good greeneating property's now to find me that special one.

My mother in law had one of those tree's but mangoborers killed it unfortunately. She bought it as a ndm-tree though and got cheated haha. That mango i couldn't stop eating, very crispy, little sweet but especially the crispyness was unheard of. I might have that tree now but it still didn't fruit.

But TA mango is like the puke-aftertaste papaya's. One who eats them for the first time will never eat a papaya again. I also didn't eat papaya for 10 years untill i found out that we have much better variety's these days, now i love them (papaya Holland is the name here).

Same goes for the waxapples or even malayapples. I ate one sold here on a market it was called mamiew hawaii, it had a nice sweet taste and silky texture. There must be good variety's of them on hawaii i guess but if nobody promotes or selects them we will never know about it.

I also didn't eat waxapples for 10 years because i got some waterbombs in the past. But if they are properly ripened they can be very delicious and sweet.

Sometimes i just buy any mango which is on the market, just to taste that variety. The green unripe mango's are sold all year long. Ripe mango's can be very sweet here, almost too sweet to eat much. I think i've tasted all thai variety's now but still i discover new ones which i 've never seen before.

At the moment i have Chokanan mango's on my tree, this is the only mango which can and will give fruit all year long. No matter what season it is, wet or dry. The taste is just OK, not supergood but also not bad.

• HU-685659668
    2 years ago

Hi MangoDoc, i came across your old post about the kook lom krong mango tree. How do you like the tree and the fruit? i am looking for a dwarf mango tree and debating btw the Kook lom krong and the raposa. Lynn over at Frankie’s has the kook lom krong. thanks, Sindie