Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mango_kush

Pitomba, Black Surinam Cherry, Cherry of the Rio Grande

mango_kush
14 years ago

After visiting Harrys property Sunday and tasting a Black Surinam cherry i decided to add one along with a pitomba and cherry of the rio grande to my property. i will be removing two Jasmine bushes and planting the three there were they will be a mixed hedge along with my barbados cherry.

the first tropical cherries i tasted were insipid making me disregard their potential (i assume they were a grumichama and red surinam variety)

now i want cherries! does anyone know of a good source?

i hear pitomba is slow growing so im looking for a larger specimen.

are there named cultivars of Cherry of the Rio Grande or are they all similar?

Top has a typically overpriced surinam cherry named "black star" im thinking of bitting the bullet and ordering. any suggestions?

Comments (15)

• murahilin
    14 years ago

Excalibur usually has them all.

• jb_fla
    14 years ago

I'll have seeds of grumichama and COTRG if you like, though I am sure you would rather get a head start with plants.

One note, the COTRG and pitomba are beautiful but can suffer from limb dieback which depreciates its ornamental value. The grum is just stunning if u ask me. I detect a slight astringency with the skin of the grum, so I suck the flesh and spit out the skin and seeds. But the flesh is great tasting.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah i want plants. im probably just going to keep an eye out for them at local sales this season.

im going to prune them as a tight hedge along the side of my house, probably 4 foot tall. maybe that will prevent limb dieback?

grumichama and COTRG look similar right? i tried a Grumichama (i believe from the taste) it was tasteless, maybe it was an early picked COTRG?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I have two grumichamas that are just about to burst into bloom. They are slightly different but both are quite good and I detect no astringency in the skin. Limb die back is much more of problem with pitomba and COTRG. I have had no issue with limb die back on Grumichama.

Harry

• jb_fla
    14 years ago

COTRG and pitomba look similar, grumichama looks nothing like either. As with Harry, no limb dieback on the grum's.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

BTW...not to get too picky....like my professor used to in fruit class, but COTRG supposedly is really CORG. It doesn't come from the river area between Texas and Mexico, it comes from the southern most state in Brazil called Rio Grande. So, I was taught it is correctly called Cherry of Rio Grande. You won't see it correctly stated in very many places, but I trust my prof. on this. What's in name, anyway?

Harry

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i figured it was a reference to Brasil but wouldnt the correct phrase still be Cherry of the Rio Grande even if its referring to a river like "Jewel of the Nile"?

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

No, actually not. While one might say " of the Rio Grande" referring to the river, you wouldn't say "of the Texas" when referring to the state. Rio Grande that is being referred to here is a state of Southern Brazil, not a river.

Harry

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

jb_fla which flavor do you prefer over the Grumichama and CORG?

i want the one with the most cherry like flavor.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

lol, i know its NOT referring to Mexico, there are several rivers in Brasil considered part of the Rio Grande, its a port. but i understand what you are saying.

• jb_fla
    14 years ago

For me, no question about it, I prefer the taste of the grumichama over the CORG/COTRG.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

I would have to agree with JB Fla. The grumichamas I have grown and others that I havwe tasted were better than the other fruits.....whatever their name is. The fact that I have grown successfully and easily two grumichamas for about 17 years without any kills or limb die back while the other fruit in question I have planted 3 times and had them all die from limb die back may be partially predjudicing my taste buds. I have tasted some nicely flavored CORG, so if you can keep them alive, it is worth growing.

Harry

• jb_fla
    14 years ago

Harry, have you tasted pitomba yet? Mine is about 4'x3'. So far no signs of flower or growth, they are the slowest growing.

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Yes, I have had pitomba. It is a decent fruit, apricot-like I guess you would say. Not my all tiime favorite but worth growing.....if the darn thing wouldn't have the die back issues it does. I have two seedlings potted that have remained the same size, due to neglect, for the past 5 years.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the two green jasmine bushes along the house are what im currently trying to remove, the skinny bush near the fence is a wonderful pomegranate, (its going in a container near my figs) the barbados cherry is the second bush against the house, its hard to see

after i remove the two jasmines and pom with the barbados cherry i have room for three more cherry hedge bushes

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH