Sheila Mango

Pickering Mango

Neelum Mango

Mallika Mango

Nice trees! What are the ages?

-Tom

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Welcome and nice mango trees! How does the gold nugget mango taste?

• squam256
    13 years ago

Looks like their Sensation tree is loaded. Average mango though.

• guajiro
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Tom, I'll be sure to copy the HTML string next time!
    I didn't notice the year that they were planted nor did I get a chance to taste them since they were all green :(
    I was really wondering about the quality of Sensation Mango. It's truly an impressive tree.
    The Pickering was loaded as well but since the fruit are green they blend in with the foliage.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Our Forum member, BluePalm, posted the results of last year's mango tasting at Fairchild. Sensation won the taste test last year. I have yet to taste the Sensation mango and I wrote, in response to this result the following:

Sorry to say, I do not have a Sunset mango. I have heard of it and I went back and researched it in the Fairchild mango Book from back in 1992. In that book, it states that Sunset is a fruit of unknown parentage from the grove of Frank Adams of Pine Island, FL. It is a vigorous, medium sized tree with a thin and spreading canopy. The eating quality is listed as "good" on the scale of "poor", "fair", "good" and "excellent." Based upon this rating, I never bothered to buy the tree and don't even ever remember seeing it for sale anywhere over the years. The book states that it is a prolific producer and what I think happened is that there was a very large quantity of near perfectly ripe fruits of this cultivar such that many people got tastes of a good fully ripe mango. This skewed the result as the more near perfectly ripe fruit there is to taste, the more people are going to vote that fruit higher. I would bet that at a smaller tasting with more perfectly ripe fruit available for a smaller number of tasters, this fruit wouldn't crack the top ten. This is why I warn everyone not to jump to conclusions about mango flavors until you have had multiple years tastings of perfectly ripe fruit. Trying a group of mangoes, some of which are ripe and some not so much will lead to an imperfect vote. Anyway, the book also says that it has little to medium fiber in the flesh and the fruit is easily damaged by handling and storage. The season is ordinarily late June into July. The fruit is 7-13 ozs. in size with a thick woody seed. Obviously, I didn't taste the fruit, but I wouldn't run out in search of a tree just becuase of this vote (and as you may know or have seen, I am quite willing to go on a quest with not much provocation). If anyone bought Sunset fruit and other magoes, I would be most interested to hear any further comparisons. But, since Sunset may no longer be perfectly ripe when the other mangoes ripen, the comparison may still not be conclusive. Bottom line, keep an open mind and an open mouth and give your evaluations time. Not only can mangoes change in flavor from year to year, but a single fruit can actually taste differently when tasted from different parts of the same fruit at a single tasting.

Obviously, the tree does produce prolificly and that may be reason enough for me to go find one. I'm offcially on the hunt!

Harry

• franktank232
    13 years ago

So they harvest the mangoes and sell them? I know when we were there you could sample any fruit that fell on the ground.

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Harry, did you mean to say Sunset or Sensation?

Jeff

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

I just wanted to see if anyone was really reading my posts. (I wish) My mistake. The winner of last year was Sunset and this tree is Sensattion......which when I look it up in the Fairchild book is rated even lower then Sunset. It is Fair on the Fair, Good, Excellent scale but it is a good producer. The book says it is well adapted to cooler climates and specifcally mentions the Canary Islands. The season is supposed to be mid-July to September. That would be a mid to late season mango here.

Thanks for calling me on this Jeff.......I think I must have had a small brain fart. The hunt for Sensation is terminated.

Harry

• fruit_guy
    13 years ago

Most of the trees at the Fruit & Spice Park, especially those in that area, are 20 years old or less due to Hurricane Andrew's visit in 1992. Most of those in the photos look to be in the 5-15 year range. The FSP does not normally sell the fruit, but they do have tastings of any the ripe fruit at a festival held annually in June. Last year, between the fruit from the park and TREC (UF - Tropical Research and Education Center), they had about 150 varieties on display. As Harry pointed out, not all fruit would be at their peak ripeness for flavor simultaneously, but it was an impressive display. And regardless of what any tasting contest reports as the "best", it is always advisable to try the ripe mango for yourself before taking up valuable space in your yard as taste is subjective.

I am a tropical fruit addict, and I have a problem.

Warren

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Wow...those trees reminds me of some of the mango tree pictures that Harry posted...sure is a pretty sight to see all those mangoes hanging down like Christmas ornaments on a tree...SO jealous!!

Thanks for posting! Drooling over here :o)

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21