Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerry43_gw

India Mangos on Their Way to USA

jerry43
16 years ago

Yahoo India is reporting that Alphonso and Kesar Mangos left India on April 9 and 10th bound for Chicago, New York and Atlanta. These have been irradiated to control Mango Stone Weevils. Bush approved the imports in 2006 and 2007 was the first season for the irradiated fruit to arrive here. Reports of their arrival should show up on sites like Chowhound next week.

Comments (22)

• murahilin
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Do you know what other fruits from India will be allowed into the US after its been irradiated? Or is it only for mangos?

• jerry43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

A quick internet search didn't show mention of any other types of India fruits being irradiated. We are already import some non-irradiated produce such as cashews from India. I would assume any fruit that doesn't have pests that can only be controlled that way, are already coming in if there is a market for it. Irradiation is currently being used on some produce from Hawaii to control pests.

You can do an internet search for mail order Alphonso Mangos and get several places that will ship. Whole Choice in New Jersey will be shipping on Tuesday. 12 mangos for $35 plus 2day FedEx cost which runs $30 for the east coast.. Another company is doing them for 6 for $49 so it can be quite expensive. In reading what people had to say last year that bought them in their local India specialty stores, most said the flavor was mild and sweet. The biggest difference over Mexican mangos was the silkiness of the texture and lacked the citrus taste.

I'm keeping my money for now but it they ever show up near me, I'd buy a single fruit to see what the fuss is all about. Mainly I guess it brings back a taste of home to those far away. I think that would be the main appeal.

• altadenamara
    16 years ago

Does anyone know of a shipping source for Alfonso mangos on the west coast? I Googled "Whole Choice" and didn't find anything.

• pearl_gardener
    16 years ago

Hi altadenamara,

Here is a website where you can order it online http://www.mangozz.com/
    You have the option of picking the box from one of their 'partner' Indian grocery stores close to where you live ( they have a list when you place the order) OR you can have them shipped at your doorstep.

• jerry43
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Here's whole choice website: http://www.wholechoice.com/
    They dropped their shipping date with out any reason but I see that Mangozz.com is reporting a delay on April 13 due to cold and rain in India. To get the best flavor, they need to ripen when its dry in India. Good thing they are delaying and not sending low quality fruit.

• altadenamara
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for the links. I've been buying mangos from the local stores, and they're practically uneatable. The yellow Manilla ones from Mexico are sour and hard. The Tommy Atkins from Central America are sour and extremely fibrous, like eating wool. Whole Foods had some wonderful mangos week before last. I don't know what kind they were, but they've spoiled me for common mangos now.

• lycheeluva
    16 years ago

ive noticed that most of the mangoes i buy in the stores that come from peru seem to be pretty good. also, unless a mango has sugar freckles on it, i don't buy it. ive gotten pretty good at judging a mango by its appearance. ive also noticed that mangoes with red and orange tinting tend to taste crap while the mangoes that are mainly dark green are usually great.
    im off to buy alphonso mangoes online. thanks for the link.
    wish i could buy mangosteen online. still have yet to taste one.

am expecting an alphonso mango tree to arrive in the mail today from jenes tropicals. so im sure by next summer, i will have hundreds of mangoes to send out to my fellow fruit obsessed forum readers (you may want to not hold your breath)

• Gardener972
    15 years ago

I wish they'd import cape gooseberries!!!!

• ordermangoestousa
    15 years ago

Please visit http://www.Buygiftstoindia.com or http://www.mangomogul.com to order fresh alphonso mangoes to USA. The mangoes are of the best Devgadh variety and weigh around 270 gms each. One can send mangoes to anywhere in the world using their service and door delivery is available even for one dozen fruit quantity. The mangoes have undergone all required tests for entry into world markets and due care has been taken for quality, texture, taste, colour and ripening procedures through strict organic procedures.
    The service would start from 10th april, 2009. The delivery period is 8-10 days and the mangoes are only of Ratnagiri devgadh fame of A++ grade.

Here is a link that might be useful: order mangoes

• jsvand5
    15 years ago

altadenamara, Are you already getting the Ataulfo's in CA? I did not see them here in FL until the summer last year. Right now all the stores seem to have here is something from mexico that is similar to a tommy atkins. Maybe you are just getting them unripe, because last year I was buying flats of the ataulfo's at a time because I thought they were so good. I did get them from an asian store and they seemed much larger than what was available from the grocery store so maybe they were just better quality ones I was getting.

• ordermangoestousa
    14 years ago

It is summer in India, and one of the biggest attractions of an Indian summer is the mangoes. By the end of spring, little buds of the fruit start appearing on the dark glossy foliage of the evergreen trees. The lighter green bunches of little bulbs soon become little mangoes, which would become ripe, golden, juicy orbs of delight under the harsh rays of the sun. An Indian summer is made of messy mango eating sessions, fragrance of mango blossoms and acerbic drinks made with mangoes.

The mango tree grows only in sub-tropical climates, so this tree flourishes all along the tropics, and so does the fruit. In fact, the hotter the climate, the sweeter the fruit. The tree itself may grow up to 60 feet tall and bear fruit four to six years after planting. As the climate gets hotter and drier, the fruit gets ripe, sweet and bigger. Covering almost all the tropical countries, there are about 1000 varieties of mangoes now growing in the world.

Mangoes contain vitamin C as raw mangoes, and have the distinctive sharp sourness. This makes it almost indispensable for consumption to combat the prohibitive heat of the South East Asian plains. A number of indigenous food preparations take care of this need and its best known form, raw mangoes are boiled and their pulp made into a drink with certain cooling spices. This drink, called Panna, is stored in every Indian household throughout summers, as an effective preventive cure as well as remedy for heatstroke. In other forms, the raw mango chutney adds spice to life while just slices of raw mango eaten with a bit of rock salt add the Zing!!

As the mango ripens, it gets its load of vitamin A and C. With maturity, a mango gets a larges doses of beta carotene in its chemical composition; beta- carotene, that elixir has some extremely desirable qualities, one of them being the ability to delay the ageing process. Potassium is another of its treasures. The fruit is high in fiber but low in calories and fat, and actually has the capacity to fill you up. This high fiber composition ensures that it is good for the heart, the intestine and also less strenuous on the liver.

Mango is also some sort of a comfort food, imparting deep psychological satisfaction, because of their stomach soothing properties, due to the presence of an enzyme papain. A good bowel means a happier you!

Every part of the mango tree is used in ayurvedic medicine treatment, its bark, leaves, skin or oil its medicinal properties range from anti-viral, anti-parasitic, anti-septic, anti-tussive (cough), anti-asthmatic, expectorant, cardiotonic, contraceptive to , aphrodisiac, hypotensive, laxative, stomachic (for digestion) benefits. In fact, mangiferin found in the stem bark of the mango tree has been fund to be rich in splenocytes which can be used as a cure for inhibiting the growth of tumor in its initial stages.

ItÂs not for nothing that one of the tastiest fruits on earth, the mango, is called the king of fruits.

Experience the fresh, ripe and tantalising taste of the Alphonso mango this summer. Order mangoes directly to your doorstep through mangomogul.com. This is a unique website that sends mangoes to over 40 countries across the world. One can order as little as One dozen of this 'King of Fruits' at never before prices. The site sells only 'A' grade quality of mangoes which have been selected from organically cultivated orchards in Devgadh. All steps have been taken to ensure that only naturally ripened fruit is delivered in a way such as the fruit is ready to eat once it reaches the recipient. This ensures not only that the fruit is rich in it's divine taste but also that it has not been over ripened.Â

Enjoy the benefits of mangoes with all the essential vitamins and minerals that it offers. One can also gift mangoes by sending them to their loved ones in India and abroad. Mangoes are a wonderful gifting option, both, for personal and corporate gifts.Â

• swrancher
    14 years ago

Looks interesting but the site shows all the prices as Indian Rupees. I have no idea what the current exchange rate is between the Rupee and the US dollar, maybe a currency convertor would be a good idea on the website.

• dan_in_pa
    14 years ago

On 4/2, 1 Indian Rupee = $0.022

• dan_in_pa
    14 years ago

Looks to be $120/ dozen...

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

about the price of a 15 gallon Alponso tree.

Indian Alphonsos are supposed to be the Cuban cigars of mangos.

• jsvand5
    14 years ago

LOL, $120 a dozen!!! What a joke. I wouldn't pay half that.

• lycheeluva
    14 years ago

ive had alphonso mangos from an indian grocery in ny- they go for about 35 for a box of 12 small mangoes during the season. they were ok. very distinct taste - the swet ones were pretty good- some of them were pretty sour

• franktank232
    14 years ago

Someone should just plant a couple acres in S FL of them and sell them in the US...

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

If they fruit anything like the one in my yard.....the grower will go out of business fast. So far, not a good fruiter here in South Florida....at least not out in the western suburbs.

Harry

• mango908
    12 years ago

hmhausman

I just purchased a large mango tree from plant O gram. Its about six feet tall and the price was right, plus I received a free june plum However, I realize now that I should have read all of the posts relative to this backyard Alphonso mango tree. I would have purchased another type. I hope I have better luck here in Southern California in the taste of my Alfonso fruit.

• mangodog
    12 years ago

Hey 908 - perhaps a bad fruiter in Florida but mine has hundreds of little guys all over the tree right now. I think it might be the diseases and such that their humidity attracts, but I certainly don't have that problem
    and not sure where you are, but anywhere in SoCal would be less humid than their situation, except perhaps directly on the coast.

And it is my fastest grower too - I mean I can't count all the little nibbins on every branch!

MDog

• phxplantaddict
    12 years ago

I just repotted 18 Alphonsos today. Ive found this type to be one of the fastest growing of all my mangos. They seem to like our dry climate.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz