Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marinfla

Thai Mango Varieties

marinfla
13 years ago

If you could choose .... which 2 or 3 seeds (varieties) would you request if someone offered to bring you a few seeds back from Thailand ??? I have this offer and I choked on the answer :)

Comments (9)

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Depends on what's available to him or her. Most of what they have there is already here in the US. I would be hesitant to grow just anything....unless I was very confident in the person's knowledge of mangoes.

Harry

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry
    The only Thai mango I have is Po Pyu Kalay. That is a good point I hadn't considered. I was thinking that they would have some types there that we didn't have here already. I guess I might just as well check into what types can be purchased here already.

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

Po pyu kalay is actually from Burma, it was cultivated by monks. Kalay is a district that has many Buddhist monasteries

The most popular Thai mangos, nam doc Mai, okrong, tong dam are all available here. Maybe if he comes across something unique like a large mango or mangosteen seeds

• marinfla
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Bryan,
    that is funny I thought it was Burma as Pine Island viewer has it identified that way but one of the other viewers had it as originating in Thailand and supposedly brought to Burma?? Good Idea Thanks!

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

There is an off season pim sane mun (might be called pimsenmun twai) that I've read about. That would be an interesting find.

Jeff

• mango_kush
    13 years ago

pim san mun can be found here as well, Brahm Kai Meu is another one eaten green, also a popular variety here

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Yes, I have a pim sane mun. But, there is an off-season bearing clone in the same way that there is an off-season bearing nam doc mai (aka the #4).

Jeff

• jeffhagen
    13 years ago

Here's an excerpt from the article I was reading:
    "Among the well-known off-season mangoes are 'Sam Ruedu' (a cultivar that bears off-season fruits) and 'Nam Dok Mai' Thawai #4, 'Phimsen Man' Thawai, 'Ok Rong' Thawai, 'Man Duean Kao Thawai' and 'Chok Anan Thawai', all of which are clones of normal-bearing mangoes."

I'd be interested in getting the Phimsen Man Thawai :-).

Jeff

• James-hoon
    13 years ago

I think I had tried the off season mangos both green and ripe ones when I was in Thailand a couple years ago around Nov-Dec. The ripe ones were okay but the green one like pim sen mun and others( eating fresh) werent very good unlike the ones in season. Juse FYI. If I were you I would go for Knong-Zang and Hua-Chang mango for green mango. The best ripe mangos I think you can find most of them here in US such as Okrong and nam doc Mai.
    You know what now it is a good time to get mango seed in Thailand because it is in season right now, but as far as I know you might not get the same mango as parent from seeding.