Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bananafan

Advice needed on Cherry Rio de Grande (never fruited)

bananafan
10 years ago

I planted a Cherry rio de Grande 7 years back when it was 3-4 ft tall. Since then it has grown to 12-14 ft tall. For the past years, it has been blooming and each year, it's sending out more and more blooms, but it has never fruited even one yet!

I thought I should be more patient and fed and watered it more often which I did. Now it's blooming like crazy, but none of the bloom has developed into fruit. They all just withered and dropped on the ground after they finish blooming. I've been thinking, is it possible that I own a barren fruit tree here? If anyone of you has any advice as to what's going on with my cherry tree here, I'd greatly appreciate any input here.

Comments (8)

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Finally, I found a few fruit. This is one of them. Many of the blooms just keep dropping off though, but I'm glad that I could at last sight some fruit.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

One has even turned red. It's not quite ripe yet, but I decided to harvest it so the birds don't get it before I do.

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got harvested !

• bananafan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tasted the fruit of it for the FIRST TIME! I like it better than the Surinam cherries. Nobody in the family likes the taste of Surinam cherries here. They're all ready to be picked. I think the birds will do a good job harvesting them.

Any idea how I may eat the Surinam cherries in a more "tasteful" way like say make it into a jelly, sauce or something else?

• MohammadLawati
    9 years ago

Hi, my cherries drop their flowers... I tried to hand polinate them with only 1 small tiny fruit which was unripe when I ate it :(

• shuffles_gw
    7 years ago

We planted from seed and it took seven years for the first fruit - on only one of the trees - and then only four cherries. Last month, after ten years, both trees were covered with blossoms and the bees were working them all day every day. Now the small tree has one fruit and the larger one has maybe 20. Is this just normal for this kind of cherry - not very productive? Can anything be done to increase production?

• info458962
    7 years ago

Shuffles,

Mine also took that long to start to producing fruit, but once it starts to bloom, it will really send out a lot of blooms. Unfortunately, I also noticed that the blooms are also dropping off at a quick rate. Now, I can see some fruit forming, but not many. I have yet to find out if Web worm infestation is my problem. I heard that wooded trees like oak trees are often the culprit for hosting a whole hose of unwanted creepies. We're now spraying BT on our lychee and mangoes and that helps, but I will soon learn more if Web worm attacks cherry blooms too. To me, it is not quite normal for fruit trees not to be producing such scanty fruit. There must be some way to deal with this, but I just don'the know how at this moment.

I'll post again if I find out more info. In the mean time, I'd appreciate hearing from those of you who have experienced successful cropping with this tree.

• gnappi
    7 years ago

Stop fertilizing it too much? To much fertilizer forces vegetative growth. I had one that was 6' high and 7' across and it had thousands of fruit on it and I fertilized it once in the spring and once in summer. They like water (mine was on the high spot of a swale) , but will handle drought because I NEVER watered it in fall/winter, and I'm not sure if pollinators are required but I "think" the flowers are perfect, not necessarily needing help from bees but IIRC my bush had lots of bees on it when flowering.

Mine fruited in only a few years but it was bought as a large 3 gallon pant.

I didn't get to eat many though, passers by helped themselves. I wound up pulling it.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH