Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashleysf_gw

Indian Banganapalli, Kesar and Alphonso mago trees or scionwood

ashleysf
14 years ago

I adore these 3 Indian mangoes and would love to grow them (protected from frost in containers). I can see that there are a ton of South East Asian mango trees and South American type trees available, but there are hardly any Indian mango cultivars that are either popular or widely sold. My local high end nursery has people who don't know what I am talking about. They only have a "Thomson" mango and a "Edwards" mango. I want Banganapalli, Kesar and Alphonso mango. Why is there no mention of these famed types? Will they not grow in these climates? Are they tied to India's monsoon climates and cannot survive here? Where can I get scionwood for these 3 types - preferably a place like USDA Germplasm network? Any help deeply appreciated.

Comments (12)

• simon_grow
    14 years ago

Hello ashleysf, there are a few online sources that you can order Alphonso mangoes. PineIsland Nursery carries Alphonso and I believe Jenes Tropicals may have Alphonso as well. I do not know of any sources of the other two you mentioned. I would recommend you do a search for your local chapter of the Rare Fruit Growers Association to find Scionwood. The Kesar Mangoes are great!

• hmhausman
    14 years ago

Ashley:

I have an Alphonso tree and could send you scion wood once the blooming cycle is over. However, I would agree Mango Kush's comments about trying to grow it in a container.

Harry

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Simon, mango_kush and Harry for your responses.
    I was not aware that Alphonso had a vigorous growth habit. And if you pros have trouble getting good crops from it in your fantastic weather, I do not stand much of a chance. I will stick with Mallika, then. In my area, there are a few frosts every year (goes down to 27 degrees at times) and I need to provide protection or grow in pots. I saw some good feedback on this forum for Top T and Nipa Hut and might go with either one of them.

This week I purchased the Thomson (it is supposed to be a seedling of Manila) mango tree at a local nursery and they said that some local people have had success growing it without protection in ground. Apparently there is a cultivar of Indian mango called EdgeCliff (named after the property where it was first grown in California) and they are suitable and hardy to grow. I am on the lookout for those, but do not know what Indian type they resemble.
    I am so excited to start afresh growing my favorite tropical fruit again (I had stopped after a frost killed my Lychee tree a few years ago).

Your pictures and posts keep inspiring me all the time!

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Correction: the Indian type mango suitable for California is actually "Edgehill" and not "EdgeCliff". It is from Paul Thomson's property and it is said that he obtained it from India.

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

this winter we hit freezing temps and our mango trees survived.

neelum is supposed to be cold hardy.

Alampur Baneshan is another condo mango from North India, so i assume its cold hardy.
    im growing one but no fruit to comment on its flavor yet, its supposed to have a strong flavor.

• tammysf
    14 years ago

Ashley
    Where did u see the edward. Thatd what i want. I am trying to grow mangoes in marin. I had my glenn out unprotected all winter.

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

tammy, your blog is another inspiration to me!
    give Summerwinds nursery a call and check availability. They had a couple of Edward mango trees in their SJ location almost 10 days ago.

• ashleysf
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mango_kush, since Neelum is a parent of Mallika, I will skip that one in lieu of Mallika (though, I had a Neelum tree in my backyard when I grew up in India!). But, Alampur Baneshan is something i need to research further and seems like a good mango from what little I have read of it. Thanks again for the help!

• mango_kush
    14 years ago

ashley i agree with your decision. Neelum is an old important cultivar like Haden, in that there are many varieties it is a parent of.

another interesting Indian variety you can google is Imam Pasand. i couldnt find one but Harry was able to get some wood to graft.

• aksharasmom
    11 years ago

Hi All,

I live in southern California.
    I have a four foot alphonso-kesar mango tree.
    I already had one alphonso-kesar tree and it slowly drien from top trunk to the graft and died. Similar problem is happening with my second tree. i've had it for 2 years now.
    Can anyone help save my tree. I tried spraying it with captan. Should I try copper spray or anything else ? Should i build a green house for it ?
    Any help regarding this is really appreciated.

• rajip2
    6 years ago

MALLIKA IS INDIAN MANGO FUSION OF NEELUM AND DUSHEHRI IS VERY LARGE MANGO DELICIOUS.PLANT IS DESEASE RESISTANT. I HAVE TWO PLANTS. THEY BOTH FRUIT.

S.PARMAR,FL

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting