Houzz Logo Print
mango_kush

April 2011 pics

mango_kush
13 years ago

Sweetheart lychee

sweet cliff lychee

Rosigold mango bearing her bounty, she may need fruit reduction surgery

these trees were all about the same size when planted, Chouanon has been the most vigorous, its the closest one, after that in the row is po pyu kalay, tong dam and nam doc mai

carrie mango, thats yellow passionfruit vine in the background

okrung tong

some mysore raspberries I ate today, yummy

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e388/twoflyasianguy/DSCF2242.jpg

Bangkok Lemon, not sure if this is fruit or flower?

purple possum passionfruit

Comments (21)

• tropicaliste
    13 years ago

What a selection of fruits!!
    How's your Mysore taste?
    I can't seem to get the passionfruit I have in a pot to fruit... don't they bloom quickly?

:)

• sleep
    13 years ago

I am surprised by how many sweetheart's are on that small tree. You must be doing something right.

Also impressed by your Bangkok Lemon Jack. I have one as well, from Excalibur, about eight feet tall with a 5 inch trunk. Zero fruit, and zero flowers at the moment.

• puglvr1
    13 years ago

Nice!! Looks like you'll be enjoying some wonderful fruits soon. Congrats!

• zands
    13 years ago

Looking good! I like your slant towards Thai/IndoChinese mangoes.

• sun_worshiper
    13 years ago

Awesome pictures! Neat to see what the developing lychee fruits look like.

Will passionfruit grow from seed? I planted seeds from a purple passion fruit I got a Robert is Here that said it was locally grown (which I'm hoping meant not irradiated). It's been about 3 weeks and so far no sprouts yet tho.

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Bryan:

Yeah, I have to agree with Sleep....how are you getting so many Sweetheart lychees on each pannicle? I don't think I have a one pannicle with more than 2 fruits on two trees worth of pannicles. At least at my house, Sweetheart is less than impressive in its fruit production.....and that's being kind.

Harry

• hmhausman
    13 years ago

Oh and that is a male bloom on the jak......sorry to say.

• nullzero
    13 years ago

Mysore Raspberry looks very tasty. How does it compare in taste to a regular raspberry? I am wondering if it would be worthy to add to my raspberries.

• tropicalgrower89
    13 years ago

Great pics!

• socalmango
    13 years ago

Bryan,

Any idea what's been munching on your sweetheart lychee leaves?....That pooch looks guilty about something.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Harry, that sweetheart did not bloom at all last year because I had no clue about the fertilizer schedule and pretty much just randomly watered and fertilized it all year, which in hindsight my have been a good idea for its first year. It probably had so much nutrients stored up when it went dormant this year, there was literally a full swarm of bees around it in bloom. I thought there was a nest nearby but not one I could see. I think my sweet cliff definitely benefited from blooming around the same time

zands, po pyu kalay is probably my favorite mango, hard to compare with Carrie though

nullzero, mysore are nice, the red raspberries from the store i think are better, these seem more like a blackberry

socalmango, its called asian grey weevil. theyre a common menace down here. lol, the lazy b!tch just woke up.

• socalmango
    13 years ago

Did a quick search for Asian Grey Weevil. Wow looks like Florida is about the only affected area, but I also got bumped to an Arizona page where it said they are also trying to get established there. Mangodog know about this? Hate to have those critters show up in CA.

• mangodog
    13 years ago

Nope, Mangodog don't know about this! Never heard of it - guess I'll have to google for a pic.

Other than grasshoppers, the things that chewy perfect circles on the leaves of roses and other plants and those hornworm thingies I haven't seen a lot of pests out here in the Kalihari......it's our scorched earth policy they must hate when they check in at the border!

MangoK - things are looking good. And YES, give poor young Rosie a break!!!!!!!! Her hips can't handle that many children - you're gonna have to cut some loose....she looks like she's breakin' her back...

And what are those 2 wire arches for on the front yard shot of the 3 mango trees - looks like quite a viney plan you got there.....

thanks for posting - mangofleabag

• swrancher
    13 years ago

Your yard is looking great. Where did you get the okrung tong tree? I have been looking out for one and so far have not seen any sold locally.

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I found it at a brfvc sale, have you tried zill or Excalibur

• marinfla
    13 years ago

Bryan
    Your trees look fantastic. Nice Pics. You have inspired me.... I am going to get a lychee and a longan. Now I just have to read a lot to decide on which variety.... Taking Suggestions!!
    Thanks for posting your pics, Happy Growing :)

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Even though I've never tried sweetheart they definitely look promising, I'm going to air layer this tree once the fruit is done

my favorite variety is Brewster, kaimana, from the few varieties I tried, Bengal has a large seed, Mauritius has a definite tanin aftertaste to me, hak ip has this slightly

• zands
    13 years ago

SWranch
    I have a Zills Okrung I bought from Jeff Hagen.
    Pim Saen Mun is also very nice in that vein

• mango_kush
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okrung is different from Okrung Tong. Pine Island has Okrung.

I hear Brah Mai Kau is better than Pim Saen Mun, havent tried either

• simon_grow
    13 years ago

I'm so jealous of your large backyard and fruiting Sweetheart lychee, I need to try your random watering and fertilizing schedule once I finally plant my Sweetheart in the ground.

I can't believe how many mangoes you have on such a small plant! Rosie looks like she's about to snap. Keep us updated Mangokush, I'd love to hear your taste test between Sweetcliff and Sweetheart.
    Simon

• red_sea_me
    13 years ago

Your place is starting to fill in nicely MK, it will be fruit jungle in no time.

-Ethan

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths